Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Honchey
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne
Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?
The ones that I sell are made in Canada and they seem to be pretty good to me the only plastic part is the handle and they are machined really nicely.

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suzi
"The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere" - quoting Miz Johnny. Oh, please don't tell me that ............ they are so beautiful and mine sews a gorgeous stitch. What makes them the bottom of the barrel?
They were not the bottom of the barrel machine, in fact they were Singers best seller for many years. All of the ones that I have had were the best stitching machines that I have ever played with. I sell a lot of them (repainted of course) to several quilt shops as hand cranks and they can not keep them on the shelves.

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM

I think the 66 was one of the best machines Singer made. Makes a wonderful straight stitch, easy to maintain and easy to use. I use mine for piecing and quilting--it is my go to machine. I have two treadles and a HC and would not trade them for anything. I have several other treadle including 1890 Davis and really they all sew great. The 66 is my favorite machine. But it is like anything else I like Chevy and you like Ford. :lol: Glenn
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Painting a FW - I need to repaint my FW. Seriously. What are the pros and cons of repainting it the original japan black vs another color? It was at the repair shop from 15 minutes after I got it to Saturday when I picked it up. I didn't get a good chance to really look it over - the shop was supposed to clean it as well as tune it up, but after having it for 6 weeks they just looked at it Saturday and replaced the belt and light (as stated on the receipt - promised 6/6, machine looked at and done on 6/11). It has a lot of paint missing from underneath the arm (I see a lot of aluminum!) and wiping off crud even with gentle stuff removed some of the trim. So I have ordered new decals. If I repainted black do I have to remove all the paint or can I just make the surface smooth? Does having a different color effect value - right now it runs well, but sadly, it's not very pretty. I've ordered Dave's book, but looking for a little input from board experts.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Keep the 115 (much better machine), sell the 66! 115 is a rotary shuttle machine, and much better for piecing. The 66 was the bottom of the line Singer, and you can pick one up anywhere.

The 201 HC will fit in the treadle. If you need to drop the head, take the HC off and do so.
I think what Miz Johnny is saying is that Singer made literally millions of 66's so you can always finds one!

I love all my machines!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Ok here is Kathie's newest family member. When she first told me she got a Franklin sold by Sears I thought it was one of the White badged Franklin's, but it is not! The Franklin is probably made by Davis - who was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. In 1911 the Franklin was introduced with an elaborate Egyptian type decal, an exact imitation of Singer's 27/127.

Here is a link to Sears history where I got some of my information! http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

Kathie's beautiful Franklin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211039[/ATTACH]

Open Cabinet for Franklin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211040[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211033.jpe   attachment-211034.jpe   attachment-211035.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM

I am so excited! My Betty Davis - Davis Vertical Feed from 1886 - was without her cabinet for the last 3 or so months! Well, DH had to re-veneer the cabinet because the flip top was so bad - veneer off, split, coming off, that it would catch on my quilts when I was trying to put the bindings on them. DH re-veneered the flip top, we sanded and just used Howards Restore a finish on the rest of the cabinet and now Betty has her cabinet back! Better yet, I have my binding machine back!

Nancy

Betty's redone top put back on cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211048[/ATTACH]

Betty - Davis Vertical Feed ready to go
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211049[/ATTACH]

DH had to re-veneer both side of the flip top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211042.jpe   attachment-211043.jpe   attachment-211044.jpe  
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Attention Sewing Machine Guru's. I picked this Brother sewing machine yesterday for $10. It's a Bradford 1641 model..I went to the Brother site and cannot locate the year it was built. I sews really quiet..has a few cams(pictured . The needle only sews to the far left..When I move the screws for the zig zag it sews the stitch but I can't figure out how to get the neeedle to sew in the center position. Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!
Honchey,
Bradford is the name that the W. T. Grant Co. sold appliances under. If I remember correctly machines from Brothers arrived in the late 1960's and the W. T. Grant Company closed its stores in the early 1970's. I do not remember if the machine would sew in the center or not. Does the lever on the front move the needle?
Ken
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jljack
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne
Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?
The ones that I sell are made in Canada and they seem to be pretty good to me the only plastic part is the handle and they are machined really nicely.

Billy
I bought a hand crank repro from Billy for my 99 and I love it!

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM

I am so excited! My Betty Davis - Davis Vertical Feed from 1886 - was without her cabinet for the last 3 or so months! Well, DH had to re-veneer the cabinet because the flip top was so bad - veneer off, split, coming off, that it would catch on my quilts when I was trying to put the bindings on them. DH re-veneered the flip top, we sanded and just used Howards Restore a finish on the rest of the cabinet and now Betty has her cabinet back! Better yet, I have my binding machine back!

Nancy
Nancy,
You husband did an excellent job! The cabinet is very pretty.
Have fun with Betty sewing on the bindings!