Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM

The links you posted said they were unavailable.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I have an opportunity to buy this machine. Is this a 401? I've heard the praises of the 301, but is this machine good too? It looks so sad under all that grime. I just want to take it home and clean it.
buy it if it is cheap - I found one in the trash and restored it - love it! I have a lot of info and have done a lot to the 401s you can pm me any time you need to
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I am so excited! My Betty Davis - Davis Vertical Feed from 1886 - was without her cabinet for the last 3 or so months! Well, DH had to re-veneer the cabinet because the flip top was so bad - veneer off, split, coming off, that it would catch on my quilts when I was trying to put the bindings on them. DH re-veneered the flip top, we sanded and just used Howards Restore a finish on the rest of the cabinet and now Betty has her cabinet back! Better yet, I have my binding machine back!

Nancy
Nancy tell your hubby he did a great jop of reveneering the top. Cabinet looks great and I am not a big fan of Howards refinishing product, it has a tend to fade and has to be redone every now and then, but it sure made your cabinet look good. Glenn
Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok here is Kathie's newest family member. When she first told me she got a Franklin sold by Sears I thought it was one of the White badged Franklin's, but it is not! The Franklin is probably made by Davis - who was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. In 1911 the Franklin was introduced with an elaborate Egyptian type decal, an exact imitation of Singer's 27/127.

Here is a link to Sears history where I got some of my information! http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Beautiful machine and cabinet. Love it.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Painting a FW - I need to repaint my FW. Seriously. What are the pros and cons of repainting it the original japan black vs another color? It was at the repair shop from 15 minutes after I got it to Saturday when I picked it up. I didn't get a good chance to really look it over - the shop was supposed to clean it as well as tune it up, but after having it for 6 weeks they just looked at it Saturday and replaced the belt and light (as stated on the receipt - promised 6/6, machine looked at and done on 6/11). It has a lot of paint missing from underneath the arm (I see a lot of aluminum!) and wiping off crud even with gentle stuff removed some of the trim. So I have ordered new decals. If I repainted black do I have to remove all the paint or can I just make the surface smooth? Does having a different color effect value - right now it runs well, but sadly, it's not very pretty. I've ordered Dave's book, but looking for a little input from board experts.
Strip it to the bare metal and then go back with new. If I was going to repaint it I would go with another color just because there are so many of them out there. I use automotive paints for mine and clear coat over the decals so that they are buried in the finish and will never wear.

And as far as money goes the custom color FW's go for twice of what the regular ones do.

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Nancy that is a great looking Franklin!!! And the Davis is gorgeous!

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
The links you posted said they were unavailable.
Luce321, we don't know which links you are talking about?

Nancy
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Nancy,
How is your Two Spools? I hope you got it all worked out.
These are fun machines to sew with. Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by skaduzy
I am getting my Gramma's machine from my cousin as soon as I drive to Connecticut to get it. I really want to try to sew with it and saw a place online to order a manual called Relics.
I have pictures which I will try to send but sure I will be missing some things. I am really excited as I used to sit on her lap as she treadled away on this machine.
That is a really beautiful machine!! I love it that you know its history, that makes it just that much more valuable to a person. Be sure to write down the history of the machine and keep it in a drawer so that who ever gets the machine will be able to pass it along!

Billy
Thanks, Billy. I will be sure to do that. It is something that I never thought of and is a very good idea. Sue
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 PM

yeah, the smell of vintage machines n my vintage trains...... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Originally Posted by Glenn
I think this is a great idea. I am like you there is nothing better than making a guilt with a vintage treadle. I even like the smell of the old machines!!! :lol: