Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Sheryl, can you answer my question about re-treadle-ing my 66? It's a page back. Thanks!!
I'm not Sheryl, but I can answer your question.
As long as your handwheel has a deep grove in it, you can treadle it. I have 2 Singers that were once electric machines that work wonderfully as treadles. A 15-90 and 237 zig zag.
Pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wvBDUq

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719RNXVPG
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Well Billy, you are free to visit her anytime. I will consider leaving her to you in my will if you help me convert her back. I will look for a manual in English, you have any sources?
I am all over it right now!!! I just mailed a friend that is the leading Singer expert in the world and hopefully she will have something for me tomorrow or so. I am very excited about this one.

I hope we can find a owners manual in English but this machine might be for only the Asian market.

The Smithsonian might be of some help here is the link I will look for a bit before hitting the bed but we might can find something here.....

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ring%20Company

Billy
I'm new here and thanks to Scrappy, she pointed me in the right direction. I just bought a Singer 15-88 built some time around May 6th 1930, if I read that right.

Anyway, I'm only on page 38 reading thought and notice that you have a manual that's Japanese so I thought if you still need to read it you could always go to this web site and it will translate it for you;
http://tradukka.com/
how that helps.

By the way, great post and I'll catch up with you all sooner or later looks like I still have lots to read (1100 some pages & only on page 38)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html
Not a very good reason to hurt a sewing machine! When I was a kid if we looked at the machine the wrong way Mom yelled. And heaven help us if we touched the "good" sewing scissors! My son has been known to tell his friends (loudly) not to touch my sewing stuff!
We were threatened with death and destruction if we even thought of touching Mom's machine and any sewing related
items. What is with today's parents??? Why can't they just say NO!!!??? OMG somebody go rescue that machine before she throws it out.(shakes head several times)
:roll:
I was hoping someone else would do that for me. I was in that direction this weekend, picked up the Davis NVF. It is about a 50 minute drive for me to go rescue this machine. I showed the post to my husband today, and he said go get it. I told him that I would wait a couple of days to see if anyone else wants it. Which is why I posted the heads up here. I do hope someone grabs this nice machine, cabinet, and stool.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

Not a very good reason to hurt a sewing machine! When I was a kid if we looked at the machine the wrong way Mom yelled. And heaven help us if we touched the "good" sewing scissors! My son has been known to tell his friends (loudly) not to touch my sewing stuff!
We were threatened with death and destruction if we even thought of touching Mom's machine and any sewing related
items. What is with today's parents??? Why can't they just say NO!!!??? OMG somebody go rescue that machine before she throws it out.(shakes head several times)
:roll:
I was hoping someone else would do that for me. I was in that direction this weekend, picked up the Davis NVF. It is about a 50 minute drive for me to go rescue this machine. I showed the post to my husband today, and he said go get it. I told him that I would wait a couple of days to see if anyone else wants it. Which is why I posted the heads up here. I do hope someone grabs this nice machine, cabinet, and stool.
would love that machine . but to far for me at this time. here is my machines a 1928 101, and a 1947 15-90 dottie bug

1928 singer 101. sorry its fuzzy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211744[/ATTACH]

1947 singer 15-90
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211745[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211738.jpe   attachment-211739.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 AM

My oldest girl lost my mom's best pr of shears when she was 12yrs old and now she is 44 and I am still hurt about it. We weren allowed to touch those either.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Welcome Seasaw2much,
Its nice to have you with us. Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage sewing machines. I have my modern machines with all fancy stitches, but I prefer to do most of my sewing with a vintage machine; quite often its a treadle
machine.
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nancy,
How is your Two Spools? I hope you got it all worked out.
These are fun machines to sew with. Enjoy!
Ok, I am piecing the borders on a Quilt as You Go quilt right now with Annie Oakley Two Spools. I had already pieced the quilt blocks with my Free treadle, quilted the blocks with my 15-88 treadle, so now the Two Spools is piecing the borders! I love that machine, she sew so nice. I am finding Annie Oakley Two Spools much easier to piece with than the Free because the feed dogs on her are soooo long that the fabric doesn't have a tendency to pull sideways like it does with machines that have uneven feed dogs like the Free treadle. I am so glad I got this treadle to add to my collection!

Nancy
I'm so excited for you! I love piecing with mine and happy to read that you are enjoying yours.
Ok you guys I have to brag on my Annie Oakley Two Spools! I have done a lot of piecing with my Free Company Treadle - I am now finishing a lap quilt pieced mostly with the Free. I have done a little piecing with my 127 Sphinx - he is mostly used for heming/shortening my jeans! I have not tried piecing with my W&W nor Singer 9W yet so I can't judge them as piecing machines!

So far I am hooked on the Two Spools as a piecing machine! That machine has such long feed dogs that nothing twists or gets ate - it also has a perfect 1/4" foot! It doesn't grab the fabric, it just sews from barely an edge to the end without any complaints. I am piecing borders and sashings with the Two Spools. My sashings are only 1" and 1 1/8"s wide so you guys can appreciate how hard something that small is to piece without it being ate or messed up. I am piecing them diagonally and it just sews them - no eating the edge! I am in love!

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Ok, I'd have to get all three of those machines! The 401 is a great machine for using decorative stitches if you get the cams - you don't need the cabinet for it to sit flat on the table. The White Rotary is really a pretty machine - could be cleaned up really nice. The Singer 27 looks really great too!

Nancy[/quote

Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system
Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
This is a great page for info. Does anyone know anything about an Elmira treadle. I have done some search and I don't find anything. The machine is smaller than a redeye and the cabinet is a small parlor type.
Mollie's Mom, has anyone answered your question? I have never heard of an Elmira Treadle, but I would love to see a picture of the treadle. Can you post a picture?

I hope someone on here can answer your question, Billy, Miz Johnny, Charlee?

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
My new to me Singer Red eye that my brother bought me in INdiana has the back clamping feet. My first one is side clamping. The new one is in a treadle cabinet but needs a new belt. Plus the entire bobbin case is rusted. I got it to spin and the needle move but the bobbin case may be missing a screw or something. I did use elastic for a fake belt and did a little "treadling" with no thread. The elastic keeps popping off...lol. But, it was a Blast!! I think I will really enjoy treadling!! May have to take my motorized 66 and switch it to the cabinet :)
Jtapp9, once you really get into treadling there is no going back! I only use my electric machines now for taking to classes or decorative stitches! I don't even have an electric set up in my sewing room any more, just treadles (well except the Long Arm).

Nancy