Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1776 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 776 1276 1676 1726 1766 1775 1776 1777 1786 ... LastLast
Results 44,376 to 44,400 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Oh- that is a 3/4 size one? I did not notice that! I'll have to compare it to mine (the one Jon sent). If it's the smaller one, Don't loose the shuttle!
    Same model. Boye did some strange stuff and one of them was not including a Davis 3/4 size shuttle and bobbins in with their display. Maybe the display ran out of room. Guess you'd have to order through Sears or the old SM parts house catalogs. Today the only way to get them is buy a complete head or find someone parting one out. Methinks Boye should of replaced the Eldredge long with the Davis short This would have saved Cathy lots of aggravation.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 03-31-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Jon,

Thank you so much for that information. I'm in the process of cleaning now. Luckily she wasn't really dirty. I look forward to getting her put back together and in good working order.

Your Minnesota seems to be in pretty good shape. A majority of your decals are intact and that's a good thing. Congratulations on your find.

Jeanette

All things considered she was in good shape. A little dirty, but otherwise good. Cleaned and oiled up now she sews quite well. Thanks.

Sorry for the second post so quickly, but can anyone point me in the right direction of a shuttle for my Minnesota Model D? I have one and it works, but I'd like to have a backup. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by laceyj View Post
    Sorry for the second post so quickly, but can anyone point me in the right direction of a shuttle for my Minnesota Model D? I have one and it works, but I'd like to have a backup. Thanks in advance!
    Keep an eye out in ebay with "Minnesota Sewing Machine" search. Shuttle for Model D & F will work for you. I didn't see any listed presently but I did see some for full sized machines which are more common. Eventually one will turn up. Good Luck.

Jon

I keep looking for another Davis short also. the hard part is most sellers don't know what they have, and I've found many don't know how to measure accurately either - and seem to think that within a 1/2" is an acceptable margin.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Yep, the 3/4 sized Davis shuttle is a toughie and unless the pictures are good it might be DOA from notches where the trailing edge of shuttle wears on the race or other problems.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I keep looking for another Davis short also. the hard part is most sellers don't know what they have, and I've found many don't know how to measure accurately either - and seem to think that within a 1/2" is an acceptable margin.
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-08-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    I haven't fallen off the end of the earth. I'm staying nearly 24/7 with my mother and protesting Dad. No internet access.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I haven't fallen off the end of the earth. I'm staying nearly 24/7 with my mother and protesting Dad. No internet access.
    In this case, no internet access is a blessing. The telephone pales in comparison to what they could do online.

I would like to learn to repair my own sewing machines, where could I go to learn to do that
    Breast cancer survivor 3 yrs now

Quote Originally Posted by theifner View Post
    I would like to learn to repair my own sewing machines, where could I go to learn to do that
    The owners manual is the first place to start for routine maintenance. Which machines do you have?

Jon

I was just wondering if any of the great people on this board are going to the "Original Sewing And Quilting Show" in Schaumberg, IL tomorrow. I am going to be there and would like to meet anyone from here that is going too.
    ~Grant~

Timing issue?

I'm trying to sort out issues with a little Nelco machine -- really odd little 3/4 size critter, with the Wittier arc vibrating shuttle that zigzags....plus it's set up for two needles! All metal, 60s probably. It makes nice stitches.

Turning the machine by hand, as the needle comes up out of the fabric one can see the needle has bent back the slightest bit, moving with the fabric and pops forward when it rises above the fabric. This is not a huge jump, just a little twitch. Does the timing need adjustment? Or is this a result of this type shuttle?

(I just watched an Elna, turned by hand, and it's obvious the Nelco is moving the fabric at a different time in the stitching cycle, while the needle is in the fabric. This would answer the question - yes, it's a timing issue. So now -- what to do???)

The controller is also an issue. We opened it, everything looks fine, but as the armature swings to the first contact it takes off at the speed of light. Not good. Would replacement with a Singer button controller help? An electronic controller? Or a properly functioning controller of the same type? What would be most capable of slow stitching?

Thank you for any ideas and advice!

Dianne in Colorado
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2016 at 05:11 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link
    Needle down......foot down......sew!

Maybe this is just the way the machine works. Another new needle made no difference. In Connie McCaffery's book, she says that if the bobbin thread can be pulled up by turning the hand wheel, the machine is timed. This machine not only does that, but makes nice stitches. If Connie's comment applies to all machines, we're good to go.

This little curiosity will accept a spoked wheel and handcrank. It can be used that way to fine tune stitching until a better controller can be installed. (I do like the oddball SMs - including an ugly White purchased only because it's cast from a magnesium alloy.)

Dianne in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
    Maybe this is just the way the machine works. Another new needle made no difference. In Connie McCaffery's book, she says that if the bobbin thread can be pulled up by turning the hand wheel, the machine is timed. This machine not only does that, but makes nice stitches. If Connie's comment applies to all machines, we're good to go.
    Dianne, the feed dog should never allow the needle to bend, so I'd say you were correct initially and there is a feed timing problem. Feed timing is different to hook timing.
    I'd like to add that when my daughter's Singer 498s hook timing was out the bobbin thread could still be pulled up, so my experience disagrees with Connie's assertion. The machine would not produce a balanced stitch regardless of the tension adjustment on with upper and bobbin threads. Since yours does, I'd suspect that the hook timing is OK, the feed timing requires adjustment. If you don't adjust it, it will break needles when you sew heavier fabric or multiple layers.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Thank you, manicmike in Melbourne! That does make sense, and I had wondered if Connie's statement was too broad. If someone tried to sew for very long using the fast controller, it's not surprising such a problem would develop. Just about everything needed to be adjusted, tightened, etc.

Now the trick will be to find someone who can make sense of this machine and keep it from being melted down.....it does seem solidly made and worth preserving.

Dianne in Colorado

Thank you, manicmike in Melbourne! That does make sense, and I had wondered if Connie's statement was too broad. If someone tried to sew for very long using the fast controller, it's not surprising such a problem would develop. Just about everything needed to be adjusted, tightened, etc.

Now the trick will be to find someone who can make sense of this machine and keep it from being melted down.....it does seem solidly made and worth preserving.

Dianne in Colorado
    You're welcome Dianne, but I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In hundreds of machines, I've never had to fix feed timing: It can't go off unless the belt or linkages break. Hook timing is different: It is easy to set because it can wander.
    It might be easy to fix, but if everything needed to be adjusted or tightened I think you have an infinite source of potential problems. I know someone probably did all this by fiddling or disassembling, but I'd call it a machine that wants to die and it will give you hell if you try and stop it.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

That is discouraging, Mike....but for the time being I'll keep working with it and see if progress can be made. Nothing appears broken in any way, and this is one you can take the top off and really get a good look inside.

I did adjust the height of the presser bar, which was very low. It's now set so that, with the foot raised, the needle clamp, as it goes to its lowest point, doesn't quite make contact with the foot. It looks right, not too high or low, so that shouldn't be part of the problem, should it?

I've never had a machine that needed timing, (except for a couple chainstitch toys) so this problem was off my radar. Rescuing sewing machines! Good thing it isn't cars.....

Dianne in Colorado

That is discouraging, Mike....but for the time being I'll keep working with it and see if progress can be made. Nothing appears broken in any way, and this is one you can take the top off and really get a good look inside.

I did adjust the height of the presser bar, which was very low. It's now set so that, with the foot raised, the needle clamp, as it goes to its lowest point, doesn't quite make contact with the foot. It looks right, not too high or low, so that shouldn't be part of the problem, should it?
    You're fixing each problem as it comes up Dianne, and very quickly. You're obviously very competent and learning how to do all this. You'll end up with a new machine (it'll feel like it anyway) and be something of an expert. I'd have dropped it only because I'm spoiled for choices. Sorry for being discouraging.

You're definitely getting there, and raising the needle height will have helped a lot. How far did it need to be raised? Did it stop the 'pop'? If not, look at feed dog height: Being too high can cause them to be moving while the needle is still in.

The more I think about this the more I doubt that the feed timing has been tampered with. Nobody would do that, so it's probably a combination of small things. It's getting better every time you fix something anyway, so well done

Hi There,

I am looking for info on how to adapt a table from IKEA into a sewing table and am not sure exactly where to search. Help!
    Pat of Abington

Mother of pearl singer 15?

I've never heard of these but just saw one. Rectangular base and three MOP inlays at the centre of the decals.
    If you can give me information I'd be grateful.
    Quickly would also be good, as I haven't bought it yet.

MOP was available on most any make and model with enough money to back the sale. I'D love to see it....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    MOP was available on most any make and model with enough money to back the sale. I'D love to see it....
    Well I'm picking it up Tuesday