Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
And here is the 99 I got on auction with the Lotus decals. This is the pic from the website. I don't have it yet. This is the one I want to re-treadle.
Janice, are you sure that is a 99? The Redeye decal and the Lotus decal's were only used on the 66.

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by treadlep
I picked up a machine over the weekend that appears to be a Singer 99-24. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:
1) the machine has the crinkle/Godzilla finish. Is there any special method to cleaning this finish as opposed to a smooth finish?
2) the presser foot bar does not have a spring on the internal part of the mechanism behind the faceplate, which I thought was pretty much the standard for all machines. Can anyone with a similar machine (or more knowledge!) tell me if a spring should be there? If so, I'd love to know a part number or source to find a replacement.
3) the decals appear a little faded which may just be function of the Godzilla finish or the fact it's been around since the 1940s. Are replacement decals available somewhere?
I'll post a picture soon...

ep
We use to be able to get the decals for the Singers, but those are not being produced now. You would clean that machine the same way you clean any of them. You can use Liquid Gold or sewing machine oil to shine it up. I am not sure what you are talking about with the spring. You should post a picture of the part of the machine you think is missing a spring so we can see what you are talking about.

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Yes, I got it on auction there. I paid a little more than I wanted, but I am so happy to get it. I love those decals, and I really want a treadle. We can't hardly find good machines here in town. Prices in L.A. are HIGH!!! So, I try to find what I want on auctions. I was lucky to find a reasonably priced Featherweight here this past weekend.

Oh, I have another question. When I treadle the 99, can I leave the light on and put a plug on it? Will that interfere in any way with the treadle action? I think it won't, but want to be sure.
Having the light will not interfere with your treadling! Actually, having a light is a bonus except for the fact that you will need to be near a plug!

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Am trying to get pics off phone. 1st pic of very small cab. only 22" wide.2nd pic of machine Third shows how small it is next to redeye. Cannot see name on machine except to shine light sideways. Then can read Elmira. Spent 6 hours on puter yesterday looking for info on this thing. Is missing some parts and I don't know what to order. Am getting flustrated. Having hot flashes. Could be is 102* here today. Does anyone know where to find info on Miss Elmira? :)
Mollie's Mom, that is really a cute little machine, and the cabinet will shine up really nice! What parts are you missing?

Nancy

Oh I see you answered that, the front slide plate and shuttle/bobbin.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
how would you rate the difference between a featherweight and a 99K other than weight, have one have my eye on another.....
Deborahlees, the FW is only 11 pounds as you already probably know. The 99 is much heavier, but it is also a bigger machine. The 99 is a 3/4 size machine where the FW is about 1/2 a normal machine in size. They both sew great, but I would not do any real serious quilting with the FW - piecing only or just sewing garments, etc. Neither machine drop the feed dogs, but you could cover them up with a plate, credit card, etc. Both machines take a low shank foot. It just depends on what you want to do with them? I use FW's for all classes unless I need a decorative stitch.

They both do basically the same thing, but the FW is going to cost you where the 99's can be picked up for a song as there is no demand for them. Both great machines.

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Hi all, I'm new here! I am looking at purchasing a Singer 127 Treadle Machine and I want to look for some accessories to go with it. I know that there are Singer Puzzle Boxes available but I am having trouble finding which ones work with that machine. Any help is greatly appreciated!
SusieQuilter, the main thing is the way the feet attach to the machine. I have a 127 from 1913. It has a side clamping foot so any low shank side clamping feet will work with the machine.

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I found this treadle at a second hand store a few weeks back - and it's in bad shape. I'm personally not looking for one since my mother in law said that her mother's treadles is mine whenever I am ready to take it buuuuut...
I posted pics in the Main area but someone suggested I post in the Vintage Machine thread.. so here goes...

I called the second hand store and it IS still there.
It's in Huntsville, AL
The wood is in bad shape. If you ask me it looks like it was either abused, overused or in a flood lol. The head looks like it has seen better days. The rest of it - the foot pedal part looked nice.

Here's some pics if anyone is actually interested in her. Poor old gal. just sitting there unloved because she is ugly lol.

I took pictures of her birthday code but they didn't come out :(
If you are interested in trying to figure out her birthdate from my poor picture, I'll post it but it's pretty rough. Looks like it's 7 numbers starting with a 67... somethingsomethingsomething...
That machine is a Model 27 with the Sphinx decal. It will shine up nicely once cleaned! If there is no letter in front of the serial number it is a pre 1900 machine. Another give a way that it is a pre 1900 machine is if it has a wood pitman. It looks like the pitman is wood from the picture! I just love it when we save these machines that are 120 year old!

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

not a machine but an old find!haven't seen one of these in a long time $10.00 find at garage sale.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212156.jpe   attachment-212157.jpe   attachment-212158.jpe  
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 AM

[quote=purplefiend]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have the Chinese made repro hand crank and I don't really like it, since I have an original Singer hand crank; the differences between the 2 are quite noticeable. The handle on the repro doesn't feel as solid as the original. The grandkids agree with me.
Sharon can you post a picture of the Chinese made HC? I faintly remember what they look like, but would like to see it again.

Nancy
I knew there was something about that HC that I did not like! It just doesn't seem right to put a HC on a machine made in the US with all the Chinese writing on it! If the machine were made in China great, but not for an American made machine. It would be fine if they just hadn't written all over the HC!

Nancy
Old 06-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
You should keep a cam in the machine , helps to keep the doohicky that the cams go into from getting stuck. I had a 503 for about 6 months and really liked it. I gave it to a new sewist that I was teaching and she just loved it.
Sharon W. in Texas
Thank you Sharon, I knew I had read somewhere to never sew without a cam inserted in my 503a!

Nancy