Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 200 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 199 200 201 210 250 300 700 1200 ... LastLast
Results 4,976 to 5,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Wow Trish You done good! All the Red Eye model 66 machines near me, the sellers want well over $100 for a rusted hulk.
    You got a set of attachments too.
    Sharon W.
    Thanks, We just happen to luck out.

:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkip
    Well, this came to live at my house today. Found her on Ebay and she arrived in good shape. Did some very minor clean up and she is good as new. The only problems I have found is the handle is missing on the case and the belt is slipping. Nothing major. I didn't think I would ever own a little beauty like this.

Her Serial number is EV955299. When I looked it up, it says that number should be a 328K. I have read the charts wrong before, so can someone check it. Am I looking at the wrong one?

Also any suggestions on Names? I have never named a machine before, but I think this beauty needs one. :-)
    She is very pretty and I like the name you picked. I name all of ours.

Banned
    I vote for the FW being a repaint with Krylon or it was a refurb from years back by a sewing machine repair shop.

Only a few real Wrinkle finish 221Ks out there and they will break the bank if they have the documentation with them.

This one lacks all of that.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I vote for the FW being a repaint with Krylon or it was a refurb from years back by a sewing machine repair shop.

Only a few real Wrinkle finish 221Ks out there and they will break the bank if they have the documentation with them.

Billy
    I thought it was too good to be true. It does look like it was done with a spray can. What a shame!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvseals
    Look what I found on CL.. looks nice to me.
    Granted the cabinet needs some help but machine looks nice

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/hsh/1916500150.html

Ooooo and another at a nice price.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/atq/1920523975.html

This one is very nice and quite pretty not so fond of the price tho.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/atq/1919732186.html
    after seeing that Singer Treadle, I wish I lived in Iowa. Boo Hoo, would love, love to have it !

Quote Originally Posted by Howard

after seeing that Singer Treadle, I wish I lived in Iowa. Boo Hoo, would love, love to have it !

Aww and here I am only an hr away, it is a nice machine and a nice price but isn't quite the machine I'm looking for. One day I'll find it tho.

Blog Entries

Billy
    I actually took a class on cleaning and caring for my FW a few months ago. Our teacher collects FW's and has about 15 them. She only keeps the pristine ones for herself! She has a crinkle finish. She said the crinkle finish did not do well so very few were made. She told us that if we find a 'real' crinkle finish to get it -- that they are extremely rare! I don't remember, but I believe she told us the year/years that the crinkly finish was made?

Nancy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I actually took a class on cleaning and caring for my FW a few months ago. Our teacher collects FW's and has about 15 them. She only keeps the pristine ones for herself! She has a crinkle finish. She said the crinkle finish did not do well so very few were made. She told us that if we find a 'real' crinkle finish to get it -- that they are extremely rare! I don't remember, but I believe she told us the year/years that the crinkly finish was made?

Nancy
    The whole idea behind the wrinkle finish was to cut down on glare. Back when the White Sewing Machine Company came up with it in 1928 or so (yes they helped develop the paint) it was because folks used there treadles and machines by windows and sometimes there was a glare like you would not believe coming off of the bed of the machine.

Singer picked it up after the patent was over and then they started using it on certain machines and factory refurbished machines.

If you have a wrinkle finish machine you will see why it never really took off. Its like trying to slide fabric over 100 grit sandpaper, it just does not happen. I have a Singer 27 that is a wrinkle finish to and it looks great but it is not really user friendly when it cones to sewing.

Billy

Can you imagine how theses bidders are going to feel when they find out it is not an authentic finish and they have paid out the big bucks for it? Yikes, I would be so peed.

Toss the kiddies in the mini and fold the back bench down. You need both treadles and the slant o matic at that price. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Toss the kiddies in the mini and fold the back bench down. You need both treadles and the slant o matic at that price. LOL
    lol I've got 4 machines now only 1 of which is less than 30 years old and all I have used it for lately was winding bobbins for the others ;) lol

Anyway I've got this pic in my head of what my gramma's looked like and would really like to find one like it. I don't know exactly which decals it had on it (one of those I'll know it when I see it things) but I do know it was not the red eye. nothing against the red eyes but just not the gem I'm looking for right now.

Besides the longer it takes me to find just the right one, the longer I'll have to save up for it so even if it's half way across the country I'll be able to go get it ;) ;)

I think I have decided to call her "Fiona". She comes in a green box, really pretty, but truly a workhorse.
    Oh I love it. Mine remains unnamed. We thought mine was made in 1964 based on the manual with it but when DH looked at the numbers he found out she is from 1969. That is one young FW. When was the last year they were made?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For one so young she certainly has a sophisticated air about her ;) Maybe call her Sophie?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I think I have decided to call her "Fiona". She comes in a green box, really pretty, but truly a workhorse.
    Oh I love it. Mine remains unnamed. We thought mine was made in 1964 based on the manual with it but when DH looked at the numbers he found out she is from 1969. That is one young FW. When was the last year they were made?
    Hubby was just reading about FW last night and the last year they were made was 1970.
    The white machine on that same list is just like the one we have. Bought it at an auction for $50.00. The Red Eye is just like the one we bought Wed. for $40.00. Starting to run out of room for these machines but still love them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Can you imagine how theses bidders are going to feel when they find out it is not an authentic finish and they have paid out the big bucks for it? Yikes, I would be so peed.
    Have you found any thing about the machine you had to send back?

I'm curious about the lines on the base of the crinkle finished machine. I have never seen that. Was that typical for the crinkle finish?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    I'm curious about the lines on the base of the crinkle finished machine. I have never seen that. Was that typical for the crinkle finish?
    I was wondering that myself!

Billy

If you go to this site, they talk about the crinkle-finish featherweights. The picture she posts has the lines on the base like the one on Ebay...makes the one on Ebay look like it might be the real thing!
    http://www.antiqbuyer.com/featherweights.html

Banned
    I believe she is on to something here!! It might be the real deal but if I was a betting man I would let it run out of time and when he relist it the chances of him asking "Make offer" will be strong and you can get it then. Be savvy when it come to buying these things.....

Billy

I believe she is on to something here!! It might be the real deal but if I was a betting man I would let it run out of time and when he relist it the chances of him asking "Make offer" will be strong and you can get it then. Be savvy when it come to buying these things.....

Billy
    The bid is up to $824.79 and it doesn't say that "reserve not met" so I think it's gonna sell.

Banned
    If it is the real deal then someone will get a rare machine.

Billy

I am looking at a singer 500 with the top cover unattached. I can't seem to attach it. Is there a secret way to attach this? Also, how hard will it be for me to find attachments for this machine?
    Would appreciate your input.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandothat
    I am looking at a singer 500 with the top cover unattached. I can't seem to attach it. Is there a secret way to attach this? Also, how hard will it be for me to find attachments for this machine?
    It may have the pins broken on it. The top and the faceplate were know the be the weak point for those machines. The parts are out there but you have to look hard and be prepared to to spend the money for them.

I have a 500A for sale that came out of my collection that is real nice and complete, even has some accessories and the cams are real easy to find.

Billy

It may have the pins broken on it. The top and the faceplate were know the be the weak point for those machines. The parts are out there but you have to look hard and be prepared to to spend the money for them.

I have a 500A for sale that came out of my collection that is real nice and complete, even has some accessories and the cams are real easy to find.

Billy
    Billy,
    It looks like the pins are OK, but the top does not "pop" in place where it looks like it should go. I may be doing something wrong.
    Thanks for your input.

Billy
    Billy,
    It looks like the pins are OK, but the top does not "pop" in place where it looks like it should go. I may be doing something wrong.
    Thanks for your input.

The "attach points" of the cover have metal "prongs" that I thought fit into the slots on the back in order to fit the cover on. Are there also separate pins?