Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenZ
I sent the machine to Billy. He may sell you the piece if he parts out the machine.
I hope to do a repaint on this one and use it in my studio. I do not have a 66 that I can use like I stole it... :roll: :lol: :lol:

When I repaint it, it will be completely BLACK a deep high gloss all over Black. All the plated parts will be the same Gloss Black and the only decal will be a "Singer" on the arm. This one will more than likely be the second machine I will have with a name......Darth Vader or Vader for short!!! :twisted:

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 05:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Such a good attitude! Hazel should be about halfway accross Idaho about now...she's coming!! ;) :)
Valerie and I were talking about when we run to meet your brother that we might go ahead and ride up to Hancocks of Paducah and see whats on sale!!

Billy
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 AM

How do you go about dating these non Singer machines? I have an Emerson with a serial #A106531 but am unable to find out anything about it.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Charlee
Such a good attitude! Hazel should be about halfway accross Idaho about now...she's coming!! ;) :)
Valerie and I were talking about when we run to meet your brother that we might go ahead and ride up to Hancocks of Paducah and see whats on sale!!

Billy
Make hay while the sun shines!! I'd love to go to Paducah!! Went thru there once when we were trucking, but I wasn't quilting then so didn't even think about stopping!

I wish William and I were the ones making the trip! ;)
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 AM

Billy, if you find something within 2-300 miles of me I will pick it up and ship to you.....now that I know how it is done.....or I can hold on to it and we can work out how to get it to you.....no 201 hunting this weekend for me....family and work weekend....maybe next weekend I can find some good auctions in the area.....
Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 AM

Billy, I have a new baby delivered Wed. this week, and I need some help. So new, no name yet, but then I don't usually name them either, except my two biological children. lol. Anyway, it is a featherweight 1937. Looks good, So far it seems to sew well, only sewed a few stitches though. I did clean out a lot of fuzzies , took the face plate off, also the bottom plate of the machine, and the needle plate or whatever you call that part. I even cleaned the outside up a little with liquid gold, sure was dirty. O.K. off with the rambling, here is my question. Since I am not mechanically inclined usually, do you think I could clean this darling up myself and oil the need parts or would you recommend taking it in to a service shop. Our nearest one is about 100 miles away, and I have never used this shop. Everyone who has, says the guy there is pretty good. I really don't know just what do do, any suggestions? I always have oiled my others and the one I use the most a Bernina 930, my favorite machine.
I have an old Singer that was my Mother's, I am going to get it out and try and date it. I know she bought it in 1940 or 1941, and bought it used then. So I know it is at least that old, however have no idea what kind orther than Singer that it is.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Gerbie, I am not Billy, but you can clean and service your FW....I live 90 miles from the nearest person who works on them....I took my first FW to him and he did a fantastic job, but the cost was about $80.00-once I added in my drive time, the required shopping because I was in "the town" and gas for my car it added up pretty quickly...also I had to leave it there and go back the next week-more shopping, gas, etc......So, I ordered the book and dvd set by David McCallum---this is the best investment I have made in addition to my FWs.....I have easily and successfully worked on all 3 of my machines-both cleanup and problems and I now save the money that I would pay for a cleanup and service to buy more machines.....the book and dvd set sells for about $80.00 or so, so I have more than gotten my monies worth....I highly recommend this set to anyone who has a FW or 2, or 3 or.......
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks Darcene, where can I get this DVD set? I really hate to leave it or any other one, not really knowing how good this guy is or what he charges either. This machine did not come with a book or any attachments. I checked on Ebay and found one that had apparently been printed from an original for $5.00 and a 1/4 in attachment for about $16.00. What do you think. Gerbie
Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 AM

Gerbie,

The dvd and book can be found here--this is a good price too----

http://www.connectingthreads.com/boo...t__D90148.html

Another great resource that I use often is Nancy Johnson-Srebro's book : Featherweight 221-The Perfect Portable....she has a lot of information about the machines along with an easy to read complete copy of the manual.

As for the attachments, I have been very lucky in that each of my machines have come with several attachments and in the case of the first machine there was a complete set so I have not had to buy any attachments so I really can't comment on a fair price for the attachments....hopefully another FW mom/dad will be able to help with this part of your question.

I bought a 1/4" attachment that works-actually any short shank foot will work on these machines-at JoAnne's for $7 or $8 on sale...watch for their sales and coupons.....I also bought a walking foot at the same time....they both work well on these machines...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Gerbie, I am not Billy, but you can clean and service your FW....I live 90 miles from the nearest person who works on them....I took my first FW to him and he did a fantastic job, but the cost was about $80.00-once I added in my drive time, the required shopping because I was in "the town" and gas for my car it added up pretty quickly...also I had to leave it there and go back the next week-more shopping, gas, etc......So, I ordered the book and dvd set by David McCallum---this is the best investment I have made in addition to my FWs.....I have easily and successfully worked on all 3 of my machines-both cleanup and problems and I now save the money that I would pay for a cleanup and service to buy more machines.....the book and dvd set sells for about $80.00 or so, so I have more than gotten my monies worth....I highly recommend this set to anyone who has a FW or 2, or 3 or.......
Darcene, and all Featherweight owners--- I also recommend the book and DVDs for doing your own servicing, I bought them direct from David . You can watch this and see what it is all about before ordering. It is wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYlrJ-YLSA

Ruth