Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis
Thanks for the information on the no. 66 bobbins for the older machines. My hubby thought that one might just file down the new ones and make them work, but I don't want to mess up my wonderful 99 with trying them. It's not worth it. I'll gladly pay the dollar each for the bobbins from now on. How many do I need, anyway? I have 5 of the new ones and one old one that came in the machine. Should I go and buy more, 'just in case'?
Another dumb question. My 99 has a knob that makes the stitch length longer and shorter. Now which way do I need to turn it to make it longer? Anyone know? And how far to make much of a difference in the stitch length? There are no numbers on either it nor on the tension, but on the tension I never know which way to turn it to make it work right, but have gotten it adjusted so it is right at the moment, so won't fiddle with that until I need to.
Thanks for the help.
The bobbins from sew-classic work real good and aren't $1 each.
I never pay any attention to the numbers on the tension. I adjust it so that it goes with a little tug - not too much... just a tad... I don't know about the stitch length adjustment - turn the knob until you get what you like??
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here she is!! More pics will be on my blog (second link, not the Dear Jane link) in about an hour!! :)
Wow and WOW, Charlee! Geeze, that Davis makes me drool! You guys have done a fantastic job!

Nancy
Thanks! :) Now if I can just make it sew!! :lol: The manual says to set the needle in a "triffle" above the "holder-thingie-ma-bob" (like my techie talk? :lol: ) What the heck is a "triffle" other than a cake layered with fruit, whipped cream and pudding? ;)

Actually, I need to finish cleaning the machine, before I play too much with stitching, but I couldn't help myself, and last nite managed to get a few tiny stitches out of her before the thread broke!
If you are talking about the timing. The thing of a ma bob would be the shuttle. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...vanced_rev.pdf
I'm thinking you need info on timing. But instead of adjusting the post you need to adjust the needle.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Here she is!! More pics will be on my blog (second link, not the Dear Jane link) in about an hour!! :)
Wow and WOW, Charlee! Geeze, that Davis makes me drool! You guys have done a fantastic job!

Nancy
Thanks! :) Now if I can just make it sew!! :lol: The manual says to set the needle in a "triffle" above the "holder-thingie-ma-bob" (like my techie talk? :lol: ) What the heck is a "triffle" other than a cake layered with fruit, whipped cream and pudding? ;)

Actually, I need to finish cleaning the machine, before I play too much with stitching, but I couldn't help myself, and last nite managed to get a few tiny stitches out of her before the thread broke!
If you are talking about the timing. The thing of a ma bob would be the shuttle. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...vanced_rev.pdf
I'm thinking you need info on timing. But instead of adjusting the post you need to adjust the needle.
Oh yeah...I played with the needle until I got it to make the few stitches that it did...the manual is interesting, to say the least! The "thingie-ma-bob" is the nut that holds the needle...when I get home tonight I'll copy what it says...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Nancy

Oh yeah...I played with the needle until I got it to make the few stitches that it did...the manual is interesting, to say the least! The "thingie-ma-bob" is the nut that holds the needle...when I get home tonight I'll copy what it says...
Getting the needle in time is really pretty easy. Put the shuttle right at the needle. Then put the needle down where the eye is just sort of above the hook. Then tighten the screw. If the thread doesn't go, try again but move the needle down or up a scooch. The pics on that site might be of help.

That manual is really good. I just fixed a tension on the Spartan using those instructions. I am wondering if that tension was ever installed correctly. The dumb thing would work a little but not so very good. It is virtually a new machine - some paint gouges from the foot control floating around on the surface but no wear and tear. I wish I could fix those gouges.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Thanks deplaylady and miriam for your help. I went on the Sew-Clasic site and looked at their prices for the bobbins. They are a lot cheaper than I found for the 99. Is that a good price for the ones for the FW too? I'm wondering if they are more expensive because the machines are in larger demand.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Well that is interesting! I was avoiding the 185's because of the clanking noise! They are so cute, though, I will be on the lookout for one now - my Pfaffs purrrrrrr!

Nancy

Was it a 185 or a 285 - the 285s were pretty crummy machines - not built as well.
It is a 185 - I think the gal that owns it just hasn't spent enough time cleaning and oiling her!

Nancy
Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by irishrose
I paid $35 for my godzilla finished 128 with a bentwood case.

Karen, my 1928 Leader is a very small treadle as is my 1904 Ruby.
And my 128 looks just like yours.
Question...are 128's basically the same as 99's inside and just the finish is different?
Candace, the 28/128 is basically 3/4 size 27/127 with a vibrating shuttle. The 99 is a 3/4 size 66 with an ocillating hook type bobbin (round class 66 bobbin). I don't know about the motors since all of my 27/127's and 28/128's are either treadles or HC's.

Nancy
Old 10-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis
Thanks deplaylady and miriam for your help. I went on the Sew-Clasic site and looked at their prices for the bobbins. They are a lot cheaper than I found for the 99. Is that a good price for the ones for the FW too? I'm wondering if they are more expensive because the machines are in larger demand.
My sister got FW bobbins for her 301 and was happy.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
anybody near Louisville, KY?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/atq/2617450429.html - it's down to $10!!!
Wish somebody would do a listing like that one in the Dallas area. It would be scooped up fast.

Texas Jan
I second that! Bless their hearts, people in DFW sure seem proud of their machines. :)
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by irishrose
I paid $35 for my godzilla finished 128 with a bentwood case.

Karen, my 1928 Leader is a very small treadle as is my 1904 Ruby.
And my 128 looks just like yours.
Question...are 128's basically the same as 99's inside and just the finish is different?
Candace, the 28/128 is basically 3/4 size 27/127 with a vibrating shuttle. The 99 is a 3/4 size 66 with an ocillating hook type bobbin (round class 66 bobbin). I don't know about the motors since all of my 27/127's and 28/128's are either treadles or HC's.

Nancy

Thanks.