Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 AM
  #25161  
Senior Member
 
emmah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Groton, NY
Posts: 408
Default

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by miriam
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bfs/2606628777.html
Is anybody looking for the old taylor's machine. It is considered industrial. These are a very good machine. I bet if you treadled it you could move some stuff through.
It looks like that has a great harp space!
What a machine to FMQ with, if the feed dogs could be dropped/covered...
All you experts, what do you know about this type of machine? Would it be the type that could be used for that?
And the table - looks like it is at a height for standing???

Another question - I know nothing about industrial machines - Why are there electrical cords AND a treadle pedal? Is the pedal for a different use on this machine? Or is it just a giant foot control for the machine?
Commercial machines have a high powered motor, and the big pedal is just a foot control. After chasing my little foot pedal around the floor under my table, I might like to have a bigger stationary one!
emmah is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
  #25162  
Super Member
 
Quilt Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Headed home
Posts: 2,372
Default

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by miriam
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bfs/2606628777.html
Is anybody looking for the old taylor's machine. It is considered industrial. These are a very good machine. I bet if you treadled it you could move some stuff through.
It looks like that has a great harp space!
What a machine to FMQ with, if the feed dogs could be dropped/covered...
All you experts, what do you know about this type of machine? Would it be the type that could be used for that?
And the table - looks like it is at a height for standing???

Another question - I know nothing about industrial machines - Why are there electrical cords AND a treadle pedal? Is the pedal for a different use on this machine? Or is it just a giant foot control for the machine?
Commercial machines have a high powered motor, and the big pedal is just a foot control. After chasing my little foot pedal around the floor under my table, I might like to have a bigger stationary one!
Thanks for the info. I can identify with the small elusive foot pedal! :lol:
Quilt Mom is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
  #25163  
Super Member
 
Charlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,442
Default

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*
You didn't overpay, and you have a really nice machine and cabninet! :)

It all depends on how much work you want to get into to fix the cab...I think it was Dunster that used the Klean Kutter on her Queen Anne...it turned out beautiful, didn't it? :)

If you go look at my blog (the second link, not the DJ link) I just did a Davis treadle cabinet that was in pretty bad shape. Glenn "talked" me through refinishing it by using simple denatured alcohol to remove the old shellac without taking off the old stain, I did use a wood stain to "brighten" the finish a bit and even it out (Provincial was the shade I used) and then I put new shellac on it, using instructions that Glenn shared with me. A lot of work, and messy....make sure you have gloves!! ;)

A way to just "fix" scratches in the finish would be to use Howard's Restor-a-Finish following the directions on the can, and finish with a good wax...I like Howard's "Feed-n-Wax" with orange oil...just cuz I like the smell of it! :lol: ;)

Have fun, and you have my respect for teaching your girls to use and respect these oldies!! :)
Charlee is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 AM
  #25164  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,510
Default

Originally Posted by grammydar
Mirriam
What do you mean try oil? What oil?
I looked at Billy's tute, you use kerosene! that just doesn't seem right. Doesn't it hurt the decals? My singers both have good decals, I don't want to remove them. That is the only thing that I'm worried about, the rest I think I can handle.
Thanks for all you patience and advice.
Darlene
You can use sewing machine oil to get rid of rust and dirt
you can use kerosene - test first
if you aren't too worried about finish you can buy rust remover.
I have used Triflow and aluminum foil to clean out a rusty bobbin holder.
You do not have to totally disassemble your machine and soak in kerosene to un-stick one.
A lot of people use 3 in 1 oil - that stuff dries up into a very gummy mess. You need something that will dissolve it. What ever dissolves the 3 in 1 will dissolve your decals.
Triflow may break up the gummy stuff - Test any solvent you try on a place that won't show. Muv has a really good video.
miriam is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:49 AM
  #25165  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,510
Default

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by miriam
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bfs/2606628777.html
Is anybody looking for the old taylor's machine. It is considered industrial. These are a very good machine. I bet if you treadled it you could move some stuff through.
It looks like that has a great harp space!
What a machine to FMQ with, if the feed dogs could be dropped/covered...
All you experts, what do you know about this type of machine? Would it be the type that could be used for that?
And the table - looks like it is at a height for standing???

Another question - I know nothing about industrial machines - Why are there electrical cords AND a treadle pedal? Is the pedal for a different use on this machine? Or is it just a giant foot control for the machine?
They do have a nice harp. They are H.E.A.V.Y. They have a very wide foot control and a big washing machine size motor. They will go VERY fast. I bet you could put one on a treadle. No you do not stand - at least I haven't seen any. These were used for sewing pieces of fabric together one right after another - production. I don't know all that much about free motion on those. It sure would be something to learn. These go VERY fast with that big motor.
miriam is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
  #25166  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,510
Default

Originally Posted by grammydar
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by grammydar
Mirriam
What do you mean try oil? What oil?
I looked at Billy's tute, you use kerosene! that just doesn't seem right. Doesn't it hurt the decals? My singers both have good decals, I don't want to remove them. That is the only thing that I'm worried about, the rest I think I can handle.
Thanks for all you patience and advice.
Darlene
The kerosene is for the mechanics of the machine, Non Pumice Go Jo is for the finish f the machine but make sure to test a spot on the rear of the pillar to make sure it will not hurt the decals.

Billy
OK Thanks
It looked to me like you set the machine in the tub and allowed the kerosene to run over the whole thing, not actually scrub with it. the Go Jo sounds better.
I will keep working at this
Most machines do not need that extreme kind of work. I use a can with some kerosene or what ever and a paint brush - paint it on and dry it with a paper towel. Not so messy and not as much to take apart - if you have one that is a total rust bucket you might need to do the tub full of kerosene
miriam is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:56 AM
  #25167  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 15,510
Default

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*
Well worth the trouble to bring back to life. You need one for each girl...
miriam is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM
  #25168  
Super Member
 
Charlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,442
Default

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by grammydar
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by grammydar
Mirriam
What do you mean try oil? What oil?
I looked at Billy's tute, you use kerosene! that just doesn't seem right. Doesn't it hurt the decals? My singers both have good decals, I don't want to remove them. That is the only thing that I'm worried about, the rest I think I can handle.
Thanks for all you patience and advice.
Darlene
The kerosene is for the mechanics of the machine, Non Pumice Go Jo is for the finish f the machine but make sure to test a spot on the rear of the pillar to make sure it will not hurt the decals.

Billy
OK Thanks
It looked to me like you set the machine in the tub and allowed the kerosene to run over the whole thing, not actually scrub with it. the Go Jo sounds better.
I will keep working at this
Most machines do not need that extreme kind of work. I use a can with some kerosene or what ever and a paint brush - paint it on and dry it with a paper towel. Not so messy and not as much to take apart - if you have one that is a total rust bucket you might need to do the tub full of kerosene
I totally agree. Most of the time there is not a reason in the world to go to the trouble to totally tear down a machine for cleaning!! I've yet to do it...and my machines run fine with no problems!
Charlee is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
  #25169  
Super Member
 
vintagemotif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,972
Default

I only clean my machines with sewing oil. It takes some time and patience, but it works the best!

Follow MUV's tutorial only cleaning your machine. She did an excellent job.

I don't use non pumice Go Jo since that once silvered and removed some decals on one of my machines.
vintagemotif is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
  #25170  
Super Member
 
Shemjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 6,885
Default

Will be keeping up with these posts.
Shemjo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.