Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Picked up a Necchi BU Supernova serial #35-0016862 last Wednesday at a local thrift store. Got the accessories box and a cabinet with it for $25. Power cord is total scrap, zig zag doesn't move, wheel clutch doesn't release. Must have been in a carton a day smokers house, can't believe the amount of tar on the machine, even the presser feet have a thick brown coating. It's really gummed up from dry oil, reverse is also bound up.

Replaced the power cord, the light would work, but not the motor. Come to find out, I got the power cord hooked up wrong at the plug for the machine. Got that turned around and now it runs good. Spend the day getting the zig zag and reverse freed up, still need to do a lot of cleaning. Would like to find a manual for it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Hi I have a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. I bought it for 75 dollars about 15 years ago. It is in PERFECT condition but I need to get a belt for it. It's very ornate.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 PM

... Is Turtle Wax a good wax to use? [/quote]

As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)[/quote]

Thanks so much Charlee! I'll double check the can before using!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by montana_cheryl
Hi I have a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. I bought it for 75 dollars about 15 years ago. It is in PERFECT condition but I need to get a belt for it. It's very ornate.
Good price! :) We'd love to see photos of it...as for a belt? All but one of my treadles has a 72 inch leather bootlace cut down to size and held together with either a piece of paperclip or a few stitches of dental floss... ;)
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Celeste
I finally found a treadle . . .

If it works out, then I need to figure out how to get it home... I doubt it will fit in my Geo Metro!
?
I could get that thing in a Metro. Get a screw driver and take it apart.
You are a determined lady, aren't you?
:thumbup:
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer
I apologize if this question is already on the site somewhere, I couldn't find anything by doing a search. Now that my treadle machine is all cleaned I think the next step is to use car wax. Is Turtle Wax a good wax to use? Thanks in advance for your help!
As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)
Thank you Charlee!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
I finally found a treadle at a decent price, (and close by!) but now I need to know what kind of questions to ask. Do they use bobbin cases?

What kind of needles?
It does take bobbins designed for White rotary machines (as opposed to a shuttle). I've found replacements on several sites that should work.

One thing about the White treadles I didn't figure out until messing with mine is that there is a release lever/button on the front bed to unhook it from the cabinet and lift it forward/back to expose the bottom and the hinge screws. Very helpful if you are taking the machine out and stuffing parts into a small car. :)
Thank you for sharing that with me!!! :mrgreen:
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I apologize if this question is already on the site somewhere, I couldn't find anything by doing a search. Now that my treadle machine is all cleaned I think the next step is to use car wax. Is Turtle Wax a good wax to use? Thanks in advance for your help!
As long as it's not abrasive in anyway, yes. :) (You don't want the "clean and shine" type of wax)
Thank you Charlee!
:) You're welcome!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by montana_cheryl
I just saw a video where someone made a belt out of 3/16-inch nylon rope. They cut it to size and then heated and fused the ends together.

I have some leather cording from the craft store on mine--red to match my Red Eye decals. :) It seems a little flimsy though, and doesn't engage the bobbin winder very well.

I've seen them for sale at Sew Classic as well, not terribly expensive.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
I finally found a treadle at a decent price, (and close by!) but now I need to know what kind of questions to ask. Do they use bobbin cases?

What kind of needles?
It does take bobbins designed for White rotary machines (as opposed to a shuttle). I've found replacements on several sites that should work.

One thing about the White treadles I didn't figure out until messing with mine is that there is a release lever/button on the front bed to unhook it from the cabinet and lift it forward/back to expose the bottom and the hinge screws. Very helpful if you are taking the machine out and stuffing parts into a small car. :)
Thank you for sharing that with me!!! :mrgreen:
Oh, forgot to answer your needle question, the Family Rotary machines take regular old 15x1 needles. I'm pretty sure I've seen the manual for them online too. Somehow I've ended up with 3 FRs hanging around wanting me to work on them. Found out tons of stuff here: http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession