Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Cool about the storage unit. Can't wait to see what came out of that treasure hunt.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8768015

This is a singer 301 zigzagger. There is another one as well without the cams.
I've got one of those (just like that with all the cams) - its one of the many things I'm planning to list to sell. I wanted one for my 221 and got this one by mistake. I did get the one for my FW and my 401 doesn't need an attachment for fancy stitches.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM

boy, it has taken me a week to get caught up on the thread. There has been some great machines and information posted this last month. :)

Here are my two latest purchases. I have been actually sewing instead of cleaning machines but now that it is getting cooler I will try to spend some time in the garage. I am running out of room.

This is Davis VF2 that I picked up in Lincoln, NE when I was back for my nephew's wedding. Came home in my carryon luggage. Serial number is 1064910 last patent date is May 18th 1885. I hope the flowers are as pretty as yours Glenn.

2nd is unidentified handcrank. I just picked it up last night off CL. This is the worst condition one I have ever gotten. I don't know if I will ever get it working. There is so much rust. But the needle bar and pressure foot will move. No movement in the transvers shuttle though. And there is no shuttle or bobbin.

Davis VF2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278134[/ATTACH]

Handcrank
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278135[/ATTACH]

Badge on Handcrank no writing on it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278136[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278081.jpe   attachment-278082.jpe   attachment-278083.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Wow, this topic has a lot of posts to catch up with!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

I don't know how "vintage" my machine is, but the fact that it is all metal, no plastic tells me that's a good start. It is a Dressmaker model 101. I finally pulled it out of the bag, put a needle in, threaded it up, and started it. All the stitches work nicely, bobbin runs smoothly, and the machine is nice and clean. But is started making a squeaking noise. Belt? I didn't run it too long, don't want to damage it, because I finally have one I can get a quilt under without ending up in muscle spasms, lol. Any info on this machine? I bow to all of you, because I have realized that you are better at finding this info than I am, and I used to think I was good at tracking stuff down on the net. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM

deplaylady, I would have bought the White, too. I have a soft spot for my mother's favorite.

The shipping on the 301 ZZer is $13.50 to me. I don't think so, darn it.

I have a New Home Ruby. The number on the slide plate indicates a 1895 patent with a 1904 manufacture date. She is being rehomed, but hasn't been picked up yet. I looked at a 1920s model last Spring that looked very much the same, but the cabinet had a cable that lifted the machine. Yes, the wheel turns toward the back on Ruby Rustbucket, but it does turn freely.

grannysewer, what Elna is in the storage unit? I had to repair a stuffed raccoon tonight with my 1973 SU Star. It's amazing what that machine will sew through. Poor raccoon's tail didn't survive a game of tug of war.

AnnieRose, my 301, goes to class and a quilting group. She got negative attention form the FM instructor until the instructor saw how well she did. With all due apologies, a tan one is not a pretty machine.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
I don't know how "vintage" my machine is, but the fact that it is all metal, no plastic tells me that's a good start. It is a Dressmaker model 101. I finally pulled it out of the bag, put a needle in, threaded it up, and started it. All the stitches work nicely, bobbin runs smoothly, and the machine is nice and clean. But is started making a squeaking noise. Belt? I didn't run it too long, don't want to damage it, because I finally have one I can get a quilt under without ending up in muscle spasms, lol. Any info on this machine? I bow to all of you, because I have realized that you are better at finding this info than I am, and I used to think I was good at tracking stuff down on the net. Thanks.
Most of the Dressmakers were made by White. I'm afraid I failed to find a free manual for you... :(

Did you oil the machine before you started sewing?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Lisa, NICE DVF! Your flowers are in better shape than mine...have actually thought about digging out the oils and repainting, but truth be known, I'm not that ambitious! :lol:

The handcrank is interesting!! My money's on you for the restoration!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Lisa, that hand crank is beautiful in the state it is in, dust, dirt and all. Can't wait to see her all cleaned up. I like the lines of it's base. Really a neat machine, what ever it is.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by auniqueview
Most of the Dressmakers were made by White. I'm afraid I failed to find a free manual for you... :(

Did you oil the machine before you started sewing?
No, I didn't oil it. I have the instruction manual, a real plus. It shows how to open the face at the needle area, no problem, and a bird's eye view of the machine, but I am not sure how to get in there. I am hesitant to start removing screws and bits and pieces, without knowing what I am doing. I REALLY don't want to screw this machine up.

I understand from what I found on the net that Dressmaker is out of business, but the machines are still popular. Was White a Japanese company?