Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
OMG...it makes you wanna to cry.

I've been hunting for a "the Free" treadle cabinet because the people who sold me the head took the origina cabinet and treadle base apart to make coffee tables. AUGH! The gorgeous cab is the best part about that machine.

~ Cindy
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tropit

I've been hunting for a "the Free" treadle cabinet because the people who sold me the head took the origina cabinet and treadle base apart to make coffee tables. AUGH! The gorgeous cab is the best part about that machine.

~ Cindy

Keep looking....they come up on Craigslist here occasionally...
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Yep definitely a Davis Franklin! I would love to get it, though it is missing the drawers on one side, but Highland is down by LA - too far for me to drive!

Nancy
Hi---
I wasn't aware that Davis made Sear's Franklin's. Always thought the early ones were made by Domestic. All Davis machines for Sears and badged that I know of have a "D" followed by serial number on throat plate like the Minnesota's. The Franklin could be the exception however (?).
Jon
Jon, White made two Franklin machines that Sears sold. The Franklin VS and the Franklin Rotary. They have to be later than 1912 machines. I wasn't aware that there was also a machine called Franklin that Domestic made?

I didn't know anything about the 'D' on the Minnesota's - I don't own a Minnesota. That is something to remember! Now I will watch out for the machines with a 'D' in front of the serial number sold by Sears.

I know that Davis was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. I also knew that Davis made the Minnesota A, B, C, D, & K.

The Franklin that Davis made with the elaborate decals modeled after Singer's 27/127 was also made for Sears in 1911.

That is what makes this group so neat - all the learning opportunities!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Billy I have some Touch & Sew manuals if you are interested.
Miriam are you being funny? Are you serious? I don't think Billy cares for those Touch and Throws!

Nancy
LOL I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

~ Cindy

Keep looking....they come up on Craigslist here occasionally...

Will do...thanks, Janice. I bought that FREE machine for only $26. I wanted to check out something else besides the Singer brand and tinker with it a bit. I also wanted a challenge...a hunt for missing parts. I figured at that price, I can't go wrong. If anyone hears of a treadle base, cab, or accessories for the FREE, please let me know.

I also bought a "working treadle" to use right now, everyday. It's a Singer Red Eye with a pretty nice cabinet for $99. (The shipping is killer though.) Here's some pix of my latest love. I plan to use her every day. We're building a cabin that's off the grid, so electricity will not always be available. That shouldn't stop ME from sewing!

~ Cindy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279711.jpe   attachment-279712.jpe   attachment-279713.jpe  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM

~ Cindy
Cindy I have a Free in a treadle that I'd sell to you for what I paid! I am up to 13 treadles! I have to sell a couple. I used my Free alot for piecing until I got the Two Spools! I won't sell it unless it gets a really good home! Pictured on page 627. Are you in Northern California? I won't ship it either!

Nancy
Old 10-31-2011, 08:52 AM

Well everyone I bought one of Candace's 319w's yesterday along with all 30 cams but one! I got the pretty green one. I haven't had a chance to try her out yet as I did not get the motor or foot pedal with this machine. I don't need them as I am going to put her in a treadle as soon as we get the light sanding and staining - light refinishing - done on her new treadle. The treadle cabinet I got over the week with the 66 in it just needed some light work due to water rings from those potted plants everyone puts on these treadle cabinets. (I only bought this cabinet because it was in very good shape and I needed it for the 319w!) I will pick up my zig zag plate today! I am soooooo excited to try this machine in the treadle! It is going to be so much fun to treadle a machine with decorative stitches. Now I will be finishing my little Patchabilities on the treadle when I work at home - in class in use my Rocketeer 503a!

Thank you so much Candace! Loved your house - all the goblins and ghosts everywhere!

Nancy
Nancy, Its fun treadling a decorative stitching machine. Although, my Singer 328 is a bit of a workout, and I'm still trying to decided should I deface the part by the bobbin winder in hopes that removing some of the metal there makes it easier to treadle.

Congrats!! Love that you have gotten a decorative machine for treadling! Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM

~ Cindy
Cindy I have a Free in a treadle that I'd sell to you for what I paid! I am up to 13 treadles! I have to sell a couple. I used my Free alot for piecing until I got the Two Spools! I won't sell it unless it gets a really good home! Pictured on page 627. Are you in Northern California? I won't ship it either!

Nancy
Hummm...I'm in N. CA...between Boonville and Point Arena. where is Rescue?

~ C.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM

~ Cindy

Nancy

~ C.
Oh, now I know right where you are. Just on the way up to my son's place in S. Tahoe. Your FREE is gorgeous!

~ Cindy
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM

~ Cindy

Nancy

~ C.
Above Folsom, about an hour from Sacramento.

Oh Glenn, I was thinking about my earlier posting when I mentioned that I bought a treadle with a Singer 66 in it over the weekend; and, I said I was going to use the treadle for my new Singer 319w.

Anyway, I thought I better explain to you, Glenn, knowing how much you love the 66 that I am only take the 66 head out because I already have 3 - 66's! I don't need another one! It is not that I have anything against the 66 - I love them!

Nancy