Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
I don't want to be a pain. But can someone tell if that new home machine I posted earluer is good? I don't know anything about these machines.

Thanks
Any New Home is a good one I think, even where they were bought out by the Japanese and they produced them. I happen to love the early treadled versions and always have!

If you can get it at a great price I would do it and take it home with you and enjoy the machine!!

Billy
Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Nancy O.
Hi Billy....I have a question for you regarding my 1940 Singer 201-2 bobbin case. I have been cleaning my machine and finally took the bobbin case apart. I watched very carefully to get everything back the same way. But I can't get the the ring over the bobbin case to lay flat. When I turn the wheel by hand toward me, it is hitting something under the feed dogs. I have checked my instruction book over and over and tried different things and it still hangs up. I even had DH try and help. No luck. I appreciate your help. This thread is amazing. Thanks, Nancy O.
I have just gone through this with mine, and though most of the Singer bobbin cases are a piece of cake to reassemble, this one is a PITA. Here's the link that helped me; hope it helps you, too!!

(http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...obbin_area.pdf)

Scroll down to page 6, and good luck!!
I just went to this site out of curiosity.....WOW....the work this organization does is wonderful...does anyone know if there is a US counterpart....think of the machines we could rescue and put back to work in a way that could change someones life for the better.....a new life for the people and the machines.....

Also a lot of great, free information about our older machines.....

Thanks for posting this site....

Darcene
Old 06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
I don't want to be a pain. But can someone tell if that new home machine I posted earluer is good? I don't know anything about these machines.

Thanks
I'm sorry you didn't get an answer right away, but you're not being a pain asking the question again. I see that your original question was whether this machine is a good "investment". Are you asking how good a machine it is to sew on, or are you asking about whether it's a good buy? If the latter, my guess is that you can probably do better, depending on the part of the country you live in and how long you're willing to wait, but this particular model may not come your way again.

It's very hard to put a value on an old sewing machine. You really need to ask yourself whether you want that particular machine enough to spend $75 on it.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Shhhh.... Just wanted to let anyone interested in this White FR. I really, really love this machine. Unfortunately it's 5 1/2 hours away and I don't own a truck (I am sure it won't fit in my Honda). So if anyone lives close to Beaver, WV it might be worth your time to go to this auction on July 9th.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...cgi?lid=877055

I am including pictures from Treadle On website which states that this one of the most sought after cabinets.

http://www.treadleon.net/whitesm/whites.html

The only thing I request is if anyone lets this machine follow them home :) Please post pictures and tell us about your adventure at the auction.

BTW, No, I am not trying to be an enabler for those who resue treadle machines. Just "wished I lived closer" treadle stocker. LOL

Judy
We live about 1 1/2 hours from Beaver, WV so after seeing this post we are going to try and attend the auction. Anyone know what the value of this machine would be? We will try and buy it so it will stay intact. But, if any of you out there would be interested in the machine we might sell it. Since we have a house full now! We will take lots of pictures if we can and also get the serial number and the condition. Thanks for posting the auction ad. There are a number of things that have caught my DH eye too :roll: uh-ohoooooo
Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Hi Billy....I have a question for you regarding my 1940 Singer 201-2 bobbin case. I have been cleaning my machine and finally took the bobbin case apart. I watched very carefully to get everything back the same way. But I can't get the the ring over the bobbin case to lay flat. When I turn the wheel by hand toward me, it is hitting something under the feed dogs. I have checked my instruction book over and over and tried different things and it still hangs up. I even had DH try and help. No luck. I appreciate your help. This thread is amazing. Thanks, Nancy O.
I have just gone through this with mine, and though most of the Singer bobbin cases are a piece of cake to reassemble, this one is a PITA. Here's the link that helped me; hope it helps you, too!!

I just went to this site out of curiosity.....WOW....the work this organization does is wonderful...does anyone know if there is a US counterpart....think of the machines we could rescue and put back to work in a way that could change someones life for the better.....a new life for the people and the machines.....

Also a lot of great, free information about our older machines.....

Thanks for posting this site....

Darcene
Yes this site has a wealth of knowledge and is very helpful when you need information about how to fix or refurbish something. It is definitely something you need to have bookmarked for future reference!!

Thanks so much Miz Johnny!!

Billy
Old 06-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Finally getting some close up pics of my Dearing machine. I'm thinking that this was made by National. Would like to find out for sure. Would also like to find out how to thread this machine. Does anyone out there know anything about this machine? Where I can get a manual? What size needle it takes?
If it's a National, you can use a regular 15 X 1 needle and "cheat" it down the needle shaft a bit until it picks up the thread.
Thank you Miz Johnny. Hoping to get the belt put on and new needle put in this afternoon or tomorrow. Going out for dinner with the car club tonight.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Well look what showed up on my doorstep today.......a GORGEOUS Singer 9W from a very special friend in Kansas. ;-)

Not only is it in remarkable condition I have accessories to go with it and it smelled really good, almost to the point that my wife was asking me who was in the sunroom with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to be pretty special to have your machine sent to you with perfume!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is my beauty......

Billy

WOW a Present!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85295[/ATTACH]

Getting closer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85297[/ATTACH]

The prettiest lady in Kansas....Darcene!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85298[/ATTACH]

Singer 9W
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85299[/ATTACH]

Singer 9W
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85300[/ATTACH]

Holy Cow more boxes?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85306[/ATTACH]

I wonder who it is from.............
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85307[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-85290.jpe   attachment-85291.jpe   attachment-85292.jpe   attachment-85293.jpe   attachment-85294.jpe  

attachment-85295.jpe   attachment-85300.jpe   attachment-85301.jpe   attachment-85302.jpe  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well look what showed up on my doorstep today.......a GORGEOUS Singer 9W from a very special friend in Kansas. ;-)

Not only is it in remarkable condition I have accessories to go with it and it smelled really good, almost to the point that my wife was asking me who was in the sunroom with me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have to be pretty special to have your machine sent to you with perfume!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is my beauty......

Billy
I am happy that it arrived in good condition....it looks lovely in the cabinet....I don't wear perfume due to allergies...not sure what to tell you about that....the only odor in the air when I was packing her was the PB Blaster I was using on the Kenmore.....maybe it morphed into something sweet smelling....oh, and a note to all....if you use the PB Blaster quite heavily in the house-it will give you a very bad headache and other assorted side effects.....so from now on it's the garage for the petroleum products.....

Darcene
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

For some reason, I can't get this site to work. Can anyone repost the link?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
Sherri,
I had trouble with the link also...I think it is due to the parenthesis marks on each end....I finally entered it manually and had no trouble then....

Darcene

For some reason, I can't get this site to work. Can anyone repost the link?