Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok, Miriam give me a day or two to work out the details. Oh Pat said we are going camping next week so it will be a week before I get the tut in the section. I am going fishing for the first time this season. I will try to get something on tomorrow in the evening if I have time. Say Hi to Phil Skip
No hurry Glenn, but I'm looking forward to the tutorial. I told Phil hi - he is baking scones tomorrow. Probably the first since we've been home. My mom and I are going to cook some chili and other soups. My DD has a very serious uterine infection so we are fixing up a bunch of food - stuff the older kids can do when momma is not feeling well and daddy is at work. She is on very high powered antibiotics. With 5 kids it is a zoo. Life has a way of careening out of control and right now mine is going at frantic levels in so many directions. Seems like we get a handle on one thing then something else rears it's ugly head.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Did you read the manual about how to install the tension assembly? Are you certain you have it installed properly? If you google there are free 301 manuals to download. You need to put on the tension assembly as the directions clearly state or you will have problems.

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
I have a continuing issue with my upper tensioner on my 301. When I got it, the tensioner was DOA...spring was sprung and parts gone. I put a brand new one on, but I have to set the knob at 0 to get correct tension...above that it's pulling the bobbin thread through. I'm not confident enough to mess around with it beyond my two tries to reinstall it for better result. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Candace; 03-23-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Did you read the manual about how to install the tension assembly? Are you certain you have it installed properly?
I'm thinking someone messed up the old one - check the pin, too.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM

She said she bought a new one.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
She said she bought a new one.
Yeah, a new one is going to have the same problem if the pin isn't hitting - I have one did that - the pressure lever was too far over - you also have to 'seat' the spring or it won't work right - that manual is the only place I've seen explains that and shows how to fix the lever.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
No hurry Glenn, but I'm looking forward to the tutorial. I told Phil hi - he is baking scones tomorrow. Probably the first since we've been home. My mom and I are going to cook some chili and other soups. My DD has a very serious uterine infection so we are fixing up a bunch of food - stuff the older kids can do when momma is not feeling well and daddy is at work. She is on very high powered antibiotics. With 5 kids it is a zoo. Life has a way of careening out of control and right now mine is going at frantic levels in so many directions. Seems like we get a handle on one thing then something else rears it's ugly head.
I want some scones Phil....I will let you know when I am going thru Indiana
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

has to be a special occasion around here for scones but then he does need to keep in practice
Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Margie, Singer made different models of machines, that had different features. MANY are better at recognition than I am, but you learn to tell what model a machine is by the features it exhibits...

Sandman has a decent webpage that helps to identify Singer machines and some of their features:

http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm
Thank you Charlee and the others who responded. I've bookmarked that page and will read up on it. Went to the coast today and am to tired tonight. Was a beautiful day over there and the ocean was flat flat! Not a wave to be seen!! Didn't find any good deals tho!!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Thank you Charlee and the others who responded. I've bookmarked that page and will read up on it. Went to the coast today and am to tired tonight. Was a beautiful day over there and the ocean was flat flat! Not a wave to be seen!! Didn't find any good deals tho!!
Ok..I'm jealous!! I LOVE going to the coast!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Perfect timing, Glenn. The Redeye is as clean as I can get it. I will wait for your tutorial before doing anything else. Thank you for doing one.