Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well shoe polish is not suppose to come off when put on properly, but when I was on the Ladies Mounted Drill team we had the bright idea to use shoe polish to shine up our black saddles - well, we rode with white pants! You can guess the outcome!

Nancy
Haahaa...I'm sorry for laughing. Shoe polish does wear off and does pick up dirt; otherwise, I wouldn't have had to polish my shoes weekly as a kid. Now I don't polish any shoes.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Miriam and Nancy, thanks for the info on the Singer 401s. I have read the instruction book and now know how, maybe to use the machine. I think I'll like it a lot better than I first thought. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't another black Singer, but now the tan color of it is growing on me. Especially after I cleaned it, oiled it and cleaned the outside with the good old machine oil. It now shines! Now to look for the other feet and cams it could have with it..... the hunt is on. I knew that I had some other attachments that weren't low shank and looked at them today. Unfortunately they are long shank.
I am still learning things about the Singer 401. It does not take high shank attachments. It takes SLANT shank attachments - sew-classic has some as well as good bobbins. Friday, I gave a sewing lesson to a lady. She bought her Singer 401 from me in December when I showed her the basics. But she called with a bunch of questions. I spent a couple hours answering her questions and showing her how things work. In the process I figured out that to have the double needle centered you have to put the width selector on 2. DUH it is right on the chart under the lid. I think on that machine there will always be more to learn.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 AM

I think the 401 is one of the best of the genre of complex Singer machines. I pretty much consider this bunch the 319, 306, 401 that basic group. Very good machines but the operating systems are complex. Lots of things to do to get what you want. Once you do get it down pat, they do an excellent job.

Joe
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Though not a big fan of the sewing machine tractor, this person is pretty skillful here:

http://marshall.craigslist.org/for/3155399692.html

Pretty soon they'll figure out a way to leave the motor on and have the thing putt around the living room or hook up a cultivator for the garden.

Jon
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I think the 401 is one of the best of the genre of complex Singer machines. I pretty much consider this bunch the 319, 306, 401 that basic group. Very good machines but the operating systems are complex. Lots of things to do to get what you want. Once you do get it down pat, they do an excellent job.

Joe
Joe the 319 and 306 are very straight forward! You get the stitch you ask for with just a flip of the lever on top of the 319 or with a cam on both the 306 and 319 - but, you know they both take a 206x13 needle. The 319 and the 306 both take a side clamping low shank foot, where the 401 takes a slant shank foot, but normal 15x1 needles! Also, the 306 and 319 take an "L" bobbin, different from the easy to find class 66 bobbins on the 401's!

The 401 is suppose to be the top of the line for the 400/500 series, but it is very complicated to use compared to the 306 and 319! There are so many variables on that machine - I much prefer my 503a, which only makes the stitch for the cam you put on it - much easier to learn and use! I have both machines, but I always gravitate to the 503a because of the simplicity of use! I know, if I used my 401 more often, I'd get use to it! But, I prefer the 503a!

Miriam, I can see why the lady had questions! Isn't it great teaching? I always learn too when 'I' am teaching!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-23-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Though not a big fan of the sewing machine tractor, this person is pretty skillful here:

http://marshall.craigslist.org/for/3155399692.html

Pretty soon they'll figure out a way to leave the motor on and have the thing putt around the living room or hook up a cultivator for the garden.

Jon
Jon, I have to admit those are cute. The guy did a good job - at least they didn't end up as boat anchors or made into something grotesque that no one but the person doing the art work would want!

Nancy
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Joe the 319 and 306 are very straight forward! You get the stitch you ask for with just a flip of the lever on top of the 319 or with a cam on both the 306 and 319 - but, you know they both take a 206x13 needle. The 319 and the 306 both take a side clamping low shank foot, where the 401 takes a slant shank foot, but normal 15x1 needles! Also, the 306 and 319 take an "L" bobbin, different from the easy to find class 66 bobbins on the 401's!

The 401 is suppose to be the top of the line for the 400/500 series, but it is very complicated to use compared to the 306 and 319! There are so many variables on that machine - I much prefer my 503a, which only makes the stitch for the cam you put on it - much easier to learn and use! I have both machines, but I always gravitate to the 503a because of the simplicity of use! I know, if I used my 401 more often, I'd get use to it! But, I prefer the 503a!

Miriam, I can see why the lady had questions! Isn't it great teaching? I always learn too when 'I' am teaching!

Nancy
I enjoy teaching - especially when someone WANTS to learn. Yeah I learn a lot too. I still think I like the 403 best. I should sit down with the 319 and the 403 and the 306 and see what I like about each one. The 401 should be in a class by itself.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I enjoy teaching - especially when someone WANTS to learn. Yeah I learn a lot too. I still think I like the 403 best. I should sit down with the 319 and the 403 and the 306 and see what I like about each one. The 401 should be in a class by itself.
Well the 403 is basically like the 503 so I can see why you like it better! The only problem is I love the shape of the 500, Rocketeer, series better than the 400 series! I also like the 319 and 306 because they don't have that weird slide plate where the feed dogs don't drop - you just raise the slide plate! That is one part of that 400/500 series I don't like! The 319 and 306, though have - also in my opinion - a weird slide plate that snapes off completely, but the feed dogs drop. The one problem with the 306 and 319 is the bobbin - so hard to get to! I have to remove my treadle belt everytime I have to change a bobbin on the 319 - I have to gotten use to that - but, at first what a pain in the you know what! I guess it is just what you get use to - they all have their little idiosyncrasies! Of course, the one thing bad about the 306,319,206 is that they take a special 206x13 needle, and special L bobbins, which most of us don't have because most every other machine uses a 15x1 needle and a class 66 or class 15 bobbin! Oh well, I still love both the 306 and 319 - what powerful machines!

Nancy
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Well the 403 is basically like the 503 so I can see why you like it better! The only problem is I love the shape of the 500, Rocketeer, series better than the 400 series! I also like the 319 and 306 because they don't have that weird slide plate where the feed dogs don't drop - you just raise the slide plate! That is one part of that 400/500 series I don't like! The 319 and 306, though have - also in my opinion - a weird slide plate that snapes off completely, but the feed dogs drop. The one problem with the 306 and 319 is the bobbin - so hard to get to! I have to remove my treadle belt everytime I have to change a bobbin on the 319 - I have to gotten use to that - but, at first what a pain in the you know what! I guess it is just what you get use to - they all have their little idiosyncrasies! Of course, the one thing bad about the 306,319,206 is that they take a special 206x13 needle, and special L bobbins, which most of us don't have because most every other machine uses a 15x1 needle and a class 66 or class 15 bobbin! Oh well, I still love both the 306 and 319 - what powerful machines!

Nancy
you need a table with a hole in it so you can change the bobbin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-table-hand-hole-002.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Jan I hope things for your DH keep on improving and that he stays in remission! You must be so relieved to have him home again!

Billy so GLAD top see you back here on the QB! That is such an awful disease - like all auto immune diseases, so hard to deal with. May quilting and working on your machines give you much solace!