Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 371 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 271 321 361 370 371 372 381 421 471 871 1371 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    It came with a 220 volt singer motor, it came off as soon as I got it home. I tried the hand crank from my Singer 201k & it works perfectly. I'm quite sure that it was originally a hand cranked machine as the case top fits perfectly with the hand crank still attached to the machine.
    Sharon W.
    Sharon I have a 99k just like this in the same bentwood case pictured on page 394! I didn't realize I could put a hand crank on it and still fit it in the case! Now I want another HC!

Nancy
    Nancy,
    She's beautiful! Looks exactly like my Fiona! We do have a pair of lovely lassies!
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by luv2learn

Over the weekend I decided I was going to stop buying machines until I get these four that "(the devil made me buy") completely done. . .ha! ha! ha! this is my acquisition for today . . . . now it sits in here with the others. . . .GOTTA STOP THIS! ! ! ! !

This White Rotary SN # 1X50157.
    Ooooooooo...she's a pretty one!! And I have news for you....now that you have officially "caught" the virus :twisted: there is NO hope for a cure. You will find yourself mindlessly searching Craigslist and eBay listings, daily, while muttering to yourself, "I don't have room for any more sewing machines....I don't have any room for any more cabinets...."

Blog Entries
    What a nice find! If I remember right, it takes the "T shirt" cover plate. I have a spare if you want to PM me.

Blog Entries
    Good evening everyone,

Nancy, thanx for the info, I was a little confused about the attachment box saying 403, but now I understand. I will keep a lookout on ebay for parts. . . . At least there wouldn't be such a worry of shipping damage on those!!

Over the weekend I decided I was going to stop buying machines until I get these four that "(the devil made me buy") completely done. . .ha! ha! ha! this is my acquisition for today and it wasn't even one on my "gotta have it" list but I received an email today from an ad I responded to 2 wks ago about what kind of machine it was. Then I jumped on line and it seems to definitely be worth the $45. I got it for so. . . . now it sits in here with the others. . . .GOTTA STOP THIS! ! ! ! ! at least for a while! ! ! I still have very long list of "I Want" machines .

This White Rotary SN # 1X50157. I have only seen a couple of pics on this board of a machine similar to it and haven't read anything about them. . .so on it goes. It runs (don't know yet if it actually stitches) but I won't be using it unitl I replace the cord! The attachment and box look like new and the cabinet has no dings and will be beautiful refinished. I will need to find the bobbin extension cover and a manual for it. I will continue reading for info on this board and if anyone knows anything about it that can help me I would appreciate it. Thanx, luv2learn
    That is a beautiful machine!! I hope you get it fixed up and repost pics! Man...that could be a "gotta have" for my list! I love it!

lov2learn.... That's one beeeeutiful machine. I love the deep relief design on it. I'm in florida too, and am just starting in on my addiction to old machines... lol.

I am lusting after a Singer lotus treadle... just because. Once I figure out the difference between a brown lotus and a er... not-brown lotus, then I'll go a looking... lol.

But first.... where to put it? My bathrooms are not big enough for the toilet and sink, let alone a treadle!!!! <grin>

Question to all those with the gear driven, potted motor 15-91's. WHICH is the correct bobbin to use?

Hurray! I just picked up my 2nd vintage machine, a 15-91.
    But... with the machine came two different types of class 15 bobbins.... one set was def. a class 15, straight sides, NO holes other than the thread out hole. The other handful, are the class 15s that have evenly spaced larger holes all around, on both sides.

I've heard that the old Singers tend to sew better with vintage bobbins specific to the machine... which ones do I use? want? Or are they both okay? What's the difference? Well, I guess the ones with all the holes are lighter, of course. Since the 15-91 is a vertical bobbin... which one is better for it?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.
    I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?

I have a singer 101 and I think it is 1920 or 1922 (can't remember)

My uncle gave it to me and I cleaned it up, plugged it in a it runs great. Purring motor. But I don't sew with it so it is under a tablecloth staying safe until my youngest is done with crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Question to all those with the gear driven, potted motor 15-91's. WHICH is the correct bobbin to use?

Hurray! I just picked up my 2nd vintage machine, a 15-91.
    But... with the machine came two different types of class 15 bobbins.... one set was def. a class 15, straight sides, NO holes other than the thread out hole. The other handful, are the class 15s that have evenly spaced larger holes all around, on both sides.

I've heard that the old Singers tend to sew better with vintage bobbins specific to the machine... which ones do I use? want? Or are they both okay? What's the difference? Well, I guess the ones with all the holes are lighter, of course. Since the 15-91 is a vertical bobbin... which one is better for it?
    I use both types in my 15-90 and 237 treadles; I haven't had any problems with them at all. I bought a bunch of vintage class 15 bobbins from Ebay, also in mix were Featherweight and class 66 bobbins. I have machines that use these bobbins. :-D I'd guess that there were at least 20 bobbins for $7 including postage.
    happily treadling in Texas,
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    luv2learn

Pretty White and nice attachments!

A question for you guys. A friend bought a treadle machine at an auction because he liked the way it looked. We were talking about it and I went to look at it. He said he would sell it to me for $120 which is what he paid. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer. It is in a very nice cabinet with a coffin top. There are no hinges(?) on one side and no key for the lock on the other side. Can these items be located? The cabinet is in great shape but the machine is a bit rough. The machine appears to run just fine. You push the treadle and it runs smooth. The decals on the other hand are basically gone. It appears that the middle decal on the base has been removed completely. You can see the outline of what it was but not one speck is remaining. There really isn't rust anywhere on the machine. I looked up the number on it and it appears to have been made in 1890. I'm attaching a couple of terrible pictures and the last one is NOT the machine but a picture I found that looks just like it. I'm not really looking at this to sew on but just wonder if it is worth the price.

Not THE machine but one that looks like it with a lot more rust.
    Name:  Attachment-162366.jpe
Views: 99
Size:  41.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vintagemotif, thank you. I'm not having any luck on finding info about it though, not even it's alloted date or model or finding a manual or anything, and I'd really like to use it. Maybe I should just clean it up and refinish the cabinet and maybe sell it to someone who has more resouces about it. Then just stick with singers since it's easer to find info and parts and manuals on them.

Do you or does anyone else know if Billy's dismantling and cleaning process would work on this finish also?

Thanx, luv2learn

Blog Entries
    Vintagemotif, thank you. I'm not having any luck on finding info about it though, not even it's alloted date or model or finding a manual or anything, and I'd really like to use it. Maybe I should just clean it up and refinish the cabinet and maybe sell it to someone who has more resouces about it. Then just stick with singers since it's easer to find info and parts and manuals on them.

Do you or does anyone else know if Billy's dismantling and cleaning process would work on this finish also?

Thanx, luv2learn
    I believe Nancy has cleaned up a White. She should be of help to you as to information on the Whites.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Folks are cleaning out their closets and looking for quick cash. What I turned down today. I could have spent the day driving around the Bay Area picking up deals that had been posted on CL. There were two free Red Eyes, one in treadle and the other electric in cabinet. They have been picked up. There is a free Nelco still for the taking. Some 1956 Singer for $20, that is all the post says. A Franklin in treadle for $30.

And some other treasures to be had still.

Wilcox and Gibbs in a gorgeous treadle with manuals and attachments all for $75
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2188833031.html

Featherweight for $75
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/app/2188830509.html

The Wilcox and Gibbs treadle irons are what keep calling me; not the machine, but those gorgeous irons. Just one problem, I don't have the room for another treadle. I want a basement!

Hey Nancy,

Can you point me somewhere that I can get some info and find parts and a manual for my (new) old White Rotary? I'm hitting dead ends on everythig with her. Maybe that why most folks are sticking with the singer machines. They're easier to find out about. Any help from you or anyone else would be appreciated. Thanx guys and gals. Brenda (luv2learn)

I'm too disappointed right now, so I'm going to go to bed and maybe tomorrow will be more fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
    A question for you guys. A friend bought a treadle machine at an auction because he liked the way it looked. We were talking about it and I went to look at it. He said he would sell it to me for $120 which is what he paid.
    Do you have pictures of the cabinet? Sometimes the cabinet is worth more than the sewing machine that is sitting in it.

Blog Entries
    Now if I had money to blow, this is what I would pick up.

The Bernina for $500, that is still listed.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2187593086.html

And this Singer 7-33 $1200
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/2186620639.html

and of course the Wilcox and Gibbs irons…

Plus, a larger house to store all those beauties.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    In my last post, I mentioned the Lotus. It was a Elna Lotus that went for over $600. ----they are going for way over what a Singer FW 221 would (should) sell for.
    Oh My! I paid $70.00 for my little Lotus but it's in great shape and works beautifully. Maybe I just got lucky. I thought it was just really neat looking with the fold-up flaps, it's great that it sews so nicely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Oh Oh are you coming to Kansas????? I would love to have that machine, even make room in the bathroom, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Oh Oh are you coming to Kansas????? I would love to have that machine, even make room in the bathroom, lol.
    Not making it to Kansas any time soon. Sorry. I have looked at this machine off and on today. The sad part is the machine doesn't call me, nothing going there. But those irons are gorgeous!

Blog Entries
    I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?[/quote]

Careful now. Depends what ELNA you're looking for. The lotus is lightweight, but the cute little green machines - they weigh a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    I am learning alot on this site as well. I found and bought a 301 but I am wishing it had a zig zag on it and now I find out that I can get this ELNA with zig zag and it's nice and tiny. I guess maybe I will have to sell the 301 and look for an ELNA. Are they as hard to find at the FW?
    Careful now. Depends what ELNA you're looking for. The lotus is lightweight, but the cute little green machines - they weigh a ton![/quote]

Just get a zig zag attachment for your 301.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann L
    Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.
    The zig zag for the 301 is simply an attachment, and they are easy to find, easy to use and not expensive. Are you talking about the ELNA #1 Grasshopper ? Those are harder to find than the Singer 221, and when you do find them much of the time they are not complete. I have been looking for one, but none have met my criteria for completeness. I have also noticed that the Husq/Viking 21 which is their version of the FW is fetching higher prices as well. Give your 301 a chance--it's a terrific machine

Quote Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann L
    The zig zag for the 301 is simply an attachment, and they are easy to find, easy to use and not expensive. Are you talking about the ELNA #1 Grasshopper ? Those are harder to find than the Singer 221, and when you do find them much of the time they are not complete. I have been looking for one, but none have met my criteria for completeness. I have also noticed that the Husq/Viking 21 which is their version of the FW is fetching higher prices as well. Give your 301 a chance--it's a terrific machine
    Have to agree with you on this!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh Oh are you coming to Kansas????? I would love to have that machine, even make room in the bathroom, lol.[/quote]

I see the "bathroom humor" is carrying on. Good show!