Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone
Two Spool machines are cool. A spool of thread instead of a bobbin. I still don't know why this idea never caught on.
~G~
For the same reason they did not consolidate on needle size or shuttle.bobbin type. Too many options and no market pressure to conform.
(sorry if this looks weird, I don't know how to do more than one quote)

I suspect the cost of thread would have been a factor. Thread costs less per yard on large spools. I'm not sure the convenience of not having to wind bobbins would outweigh the in inconvenience of having to constantly purchase small spools of thread.
I've collected lots spools of different colored threads after finishing a project. They take up enough storage space, I'd hate to have double the amount.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 AM

Hey everyone

I'm finally trying to get my Necchi Supernova Automatica cleaned up and working... I'm so excited, it's the first machine I've ever had that was completely frozen and I got it moving. Yay! Wow - that was a rush

Anyway, the underside of it sill has "mung" clinging to the painted surfaces but I've cleaned the mechanics pretty well. The button that drops the feed dogs still isn't working... so I'm wondering how you're supposed to tell if it just needs more cleaning or if it's actually broken?

I really need someone who either has this machine (working) or who has worked on this particular problem before to give me a couple of pointers. TIA!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Hey everyone

I'm finally trying to get my Necchi Supernova Automatica cleaned up and working... I'm so excited, it's the first machine I've ever had that was completely frozen and I got it moving. Yay! Wow - that was a rush

Anyway, the underside of it sill has "mung" clinging to the painted surfaces but I've cleaned the mechanics pretty well. The button that drops the feed dogs still isn't working... so I'm wondering how you're supposed to tell if it just needs more cleaning or if it's actually broken?

I really need someone who either has this machine (working) or who has worked on this particular problem before to give me a couple of pointers. TIA!!!
I have a Supernova and you have to push down and turn it. If you are doing that and it still isn't working use tri-flow oil on it (or whatever oil you have), in it and on everything it is connected to all of the way to the feed dogs. If the rest of the machine was gummy, then this probably is too. Keep working as many parts back and forth as you can. It will go.
~G~
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 AM

I saw this and thought that I would share. It is to help figure out what model Singer it is from a crappy Craig's List photo.
~G~
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/08/vi...rs_16.html?m=1
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I saw this and thought that I would share. It is to help figure out what model Singer it is from a crappy Craig's List photo.
~G~
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/08/vi...rs_16.html?m=1
Rain has done a very nice job - I love his blog - he, too is a QB member - he shows up when he isn't too overwhelmed with sewing machine repairs.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I have a Supernova and you have to push down and turn it.
The button doesnt really push down. It moves a little bit and the first narrow pin section with the spring moves a litle, but then it disappears into a sort of 'barrel' that is open only on the opposite end and appears to have a larger spring inside it. Nothing moves beyond this point, so I don't know whether it's the button, or that it could be gunked up inside this barrel bit. Seems weird to have something important in a place where you can't get to it, but what would I know
Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

If you have Tri-Flow oiled it, turned the machine every what way & given time out each turn, you may have to use heat on that little barrel, Amelia. I don't think there will be any plastic in the area but look anyway before you heat. It is rare that a button will be stuck - it is almost always this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429409[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails domestics-feed-dog-drop-thing-009.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 AM

Love Rain's instructions on how to determine if a machine is a 15-90 or 15-91 from craigslists photos and 99 vs 66. Omg, I'm getting so smart!! Soaking it all up like a sponge! Lol thanks Grant for posting that link!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Love Rain's instructions on how to determine if a machine is a 15-90 or 15-91 from craigslists photos and 99 vs 66. Omg, I'm getting so smart!! Soaking it all up like a sponge! Lol thanks Grant for posting that link!
Sideways, You are welcome. I wasn't sure if I should post it in the Giggles thread or here. I thought that more people would see it here than on the Giggles thread. Useful information for those horrible pictures we see in ads.

Amelia, Does it look like this?
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429421[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429422[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sn-fd-knob.jpg   sn-fd-mech.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM

Is there a thread here for Toy Sewing Machines? I thought that I saw one once but can't find it. Can anyone help?
~G~