Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 AM

Welcome cwall!
Rodney
Old 11-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Banned

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're a good fit for this place. How to hear from you regularly!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:48 AM

Can anyone point to me to information about Morse machines? I'm mentoring a young woman who is working very hard trying to make a living buying at flea markets, etc. She found a Morse and after I told her all the reasons it was overpriced the guy sold it to her for $10.

Is Morse a manufacturer? Someone said Morse was made by Toyota. The machine is newer than the 15 clones but not quite the dashboard model. When I get a photo and serial number I'll post it.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I don't know very many machines that are over priced at $10 if they are all there...
Old 12-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Flipping flea market and thrift store finds is a hard living.
Morse is a brand, not a manufacturer. I don't know a lot about Morse machines except I like the look of most of them. If it's one of the more interesting machines she shouldn't have much trouble reselling it.
It could have been made by any one of the Japanese makers. Look for a JA number on the bottom. Sometimes you get lucky and the manufacturer will be cast into the bottom too.
Rodney
Old 12-16-2015, 06:12 AM

I bought a Singer 401a online and its on its way to me as I type. I am excited!!! I just joined here yesterday, but have been reading here for a while. This board helped me in this decision. However, now I only want a couple more vintage sewing machines .lol.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by verboten View Post
I bought a Singer 401a online and its on its way to me as I type. I am excited!!! I just joined here yesterday, but have been reading here for a while. This board helped me in this decision. However, now I only want a couple more vintage sewing machines .lol.

Welcome! and oh what a fun path you've stumbled upon...
Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by verboten View Post
Congratulations on your 401. It's my "Old Reliable" machine; if I don't start a project on it, I often wind up using it for something (usually buttonholes or zigzag). Keep it lubricated and it will be a useful tool for many years to come.

As for "a couple more" - good luck with that. Remember, you won't know what you're missing unless you get it!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
Can anyone point to me to information about Morse machines? I'm mentoring a young woman who is working very hard trying to make a living buying at flea markets, etc. She found a Morse and after I told her all the reasons it was overpriced the guy sold it to her for $10.

Is Morse a manufacturer? Someone said Morse was made by Toyota. The machine is newer than the 15 clones but not quite the dashboard model. When I get a photo and serial number I'll post it.
I have a Morse 6500 machine. I don't know what it's worth but it sews great. I think it will sew through anything. I too found out it was made by Toyota.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Is this considered a "press fit" spool pin? Found on my Singer 237.[ATTACH=CONFIG]538265[/ATTACH]
When I got this machine I thought the spool pin was kind of short, but it was finished on the end, so I thought I must be wrong. Then I took the top off and here is what I found, I am sure it was pressed in.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Press fit is a correct term. Machinists use it. It means that the part needs to be pressed or tapped into it's hole like on bearings. Bearings are generally just a few thousandths of an inch larger than the hole they fit in so they need to be pressed it. It keeps them from spinning in the hole and tearing it up. The shaft that rides in the bearing can be a press fit as well.
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails img_5499.jpg