Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 505 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 5 405 455 495 504 505 506 515 555 605 1005 1505 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,625 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #12601

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    3
    SHE IS JUST LIKE THE ONE I HAVE A GOOD MACHINE HAVE FUN
    ELSIE

  2. #12602
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie

  3. #12603
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
    try a new needle.

  4. #12604
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    Nancy if the hair was white it was Marshmellow and he is crossed eye, so you can blame him for the crossed eyes. If the hair was black it was Patches and if it was brown it was the dog Missy. Sorry about that. I am glad that you got it out. These cats are into everything. I did keep the machine in the box, but hair does fly. Kathie
    Kathie, this hair had nothing to do with you or your animals. This machine made the same stitch when you had her. I remember when you tried to use her at last month's Girls Night Out -- she was sewing the same way! We all thought it was your thread remember? Well, this hair was a very long human hair that had been in there a very long time. It just got missed at our FW maintenance class. Didn't Linda even play a lot with your tensions, etc., trying to get a better stitch? I would have thought the stitch was ok if it were not for the fact that I know what a perfect stitch these machines can do - besides, it just didn't sound right either. No, this machine was new to you too, and this problem was before you I am sure! I just kept re-reading the book and searching until I found the problem! The book says in several places how the FW was made so small with perfectly fit parts that a thread can mess it up - there is no wiggle room!

    Nancy

  5. #12605
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I have an opportunity to buy a vintage Kenmore exactly like this one:
    http://www.ecrater.com/p/8732598/sea...achine-vintage
    only in a nice cabinet...

    It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.
    Wow, I have never seen that Kenmore either! The decals have a red tint -- even the ones on the bed -- and it looks just like a 15 clone!

    Nancy

  6. #12606
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
    Yes! We have all gone through that -- it is called human error! Kathie, when I started treadling all I could do was go back and forth and break the top thread. I doubt if your machine is just becoming unthreaded - it probably is your treadling! You should practice without thread at first until you can start and stop without the machine taking a back turn - which is what breaks the top thread! If you put thread on the machine - you will get smoother as you practice, but your problem is very common when you first start to treadle -- it takes lots of practice! Hang in there and just keep practicing -- you will get better and better and the thread issue will go away!

    Nancy

  7. #12607
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,811
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I have an opportunity to buy a vintage Kenmore exactly like this one:
    http://www.ecrater.com/p/8732598/sea...achine-vintage
    only in a nice cabinet...

    It looks like an exact clone of a Singer 15. This is the only Kenmore I have seen that looks like this. Does anyone know anything about this model machine? I couldn't find numbers on the machine, at all.
    Wow, I have never seen that Kenmore either! The decals have a red tint -- even the ones on the bed -- and it looks just like a 15 clone!

    Nancy
    I'm thinking I should get it... I have wanted a Singer 15, and this Kenmore may work just the same. It's in pretty great condition, cosmetically. One thing I didn't see on it was a power cord. If it's missing, I wonder how hard it would be to find a replacement.

    Has anyone seen this machine before and know the approximate age? I'm thinking mid-50's...

  8. #12608
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,811
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
    Yes! We have all gone through that -- it is called human error! Kathie, when I started treadling all I could do was go back and forth and break the top thread. I doubt if your machine is just becoming unthreaded - it probably is your treadling! You should practice without thread at first until you can start and stop without the machine taking a back turn - which is what breaks the top thread! If you put thread on the machine - you will get smoother as you practice, but your problem is very common when you first start to treadle -- it takes lots of practice! Hang in there and just keep practicing -- you will get better and better and the thread issue will go away!

    Nancy
    That was my first thought, too. When learning to treadle, you often let the wheel roll backwards, and if it makes the machine sew backwards it will break the thread. The old machines were made to go forward only, and the wheel rolling backwards will break that thread after about 2 sts. I'm still getting the hang of this myself, treadling on the Old Girl you see in my avatar.

  9. #12609
    Senior Member Tilladare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Parker, Colorado
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left.
    I am by no means an expert, and I am probably wrong about this, but, going by your description, if the flat of the needle is to the right, shouldn't the needle be threaded left to right?

  10. #12610
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,582
    Blog Entries
    19
    It looks like the Kenmore power cord is there. It may have tape on it, in which case you'd want to have it checked before plugging it in. My Singer 128 from 1952 has the cord wired into the motor - not a plug in like the 1956 301.

  11. #12611
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    [quote=Tilladare]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    The needle is new.
    I am by no means an expert, and I am probably wrong about this, but, going by your description, if the flat of the needle is to the right, shouldn't the needle be threaded left to right?
    I think that you could say that you are an expert. I rethreaded it from left to right. I have stitches! :thumbup: Thank you so much. Kathie

  12. #12612
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    I'm still getting the hang of this myself, treadling on the Old Girl you see in my avatar.[/quote]

    That is a beautiful Lotus you have. It looks like the one I have but mine is not that pretty. Right now the cabinet is in the cabinet doctor's office getting a new make over. Kathie

  13. #12613
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,811
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    It looks like the Kenmore power cord is there. It may have tape on it, in which case you'd want to have it checked before plugging it in. My Singer 128 from 1952 has the cord wired into the motor - not a plug in like the 1956 301.
    I'm sorry for the confusion, the pic I linked to is one for sale, online, not the one I am looking at locally. I posted that pic for you all to see the model I was talking about, but the local one is, I think, missing the power cord. I'm going to do some more research today.

  14. #12614
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
    Yes! We have all gone through that -- it is called human error! Kathie, when I started treadling all I could do was go back and forth and break the top thread. I doubt if your machine is just becoming unthreaded - it probably is your treadling! You should practice without thread at first until you can start and stop without the machine taking a back turn - which is what breaks the top thread! If you put thread on the machine - you will get smoother as you practice, but your problem is very common when you first start to treadle -- it takes lots of practice! Hang in there and just keep practicing -- you will get better and better and the thread issue will go away!

    Nancy
    That was my first thought, too. When learning to treadle, you often let the wheel roll backwards, and if it makes the machine sew backwards it will break the thread. The old machines were made to go forward only, and the wheel rolling backwards will break that thread after about 2 sts. I'm still getting the hang of this myself, treadling on the Old Girl you see in my avatar.
    I also found that my Singer 66-1 likes cheap thread only. To me this just doesn't make any sense. If the cheap stuff works than the more expensive thread should work too. Make sure the thread is the same in the bobbin too.

  15. #12615
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left.
    I am by no means an expert, and I am probably wrong about this, but, going by your description, if the flat of the needle is to the right, shouldn't the needle be threaded left to right?
    Tilladare, you are absolutely right! I didn't pay attention to the way Kathie was threading! I just remembered my problems when I started to treadle!

    Kathie, I am sorry! You may not have the same problems learning to treadle that I had!

    Nancy

  16. #12616
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    I always thread the needle through the groove side first.

    Melinda

    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left.
    I am by no means an expert, and I am probably wrong about this, but, going by your description, if the flat of the needle is to the right, shouldn't the needle be threaded left to right?
    Tilladare, you are absolutely right! I didn't pay attention to the way Kathie was threading! I just remembered my problems when I started to treadle!

    Kathie, I am sorry! You may not have the same problems learning to treadle that I had!

    Nancy

  17. #12617
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    [quote=BoJangles][quote
    Kathie, I am sorry! You may not have the same problems learning to treadle that I had!

    Nancy believe me I had the same problems. I have to fight myself to watch and make sure that the machine went only forward. As for thread I am using Robinson and Anton. I have no cheap thread. Joann's here I come. Kathie

  18. #12618
    Senior Member HisPatchwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    992
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S.
    I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
    Yes! We have all gone through that -- it is called human error! Kathie, when I started treadling all I could do was go back and forth and break the top thread. I doubt if your machine is just becoming unthreaded - it probably is your treadling! You should practice without thread at first until you can start and stop without the machine taking a back turn - which is what breaks the top thread! If you put thread on the machine - you will get smoother as you practice, but your problem is very common when you first start to treadle -- it takes lots of practice! Hang in there and just keep practicing -- you will get better and better and the thread issue will go away!

    Nancy
    That was my first thought, too. When learning to treadle, you often let the wheel roll backwards, and if it makes the machine sew backwards it will break the thread. The old machines were made to go forward only, and the wheel rolling backwards will break that thread after about 2 sts. I'm still getting the hang of this myself, treadling on the Old Girl you see in my avatar.
    That was my first thought too. Since I am a beginner to treadling, I have had to rethread many times. That is one reason I started with a jelly roll. I had long seams to sew and this had me getting used to treadling. I kept a needle threader right close and my hand ready to turn the hand wheel as I started up, so it wouldn't roll back and break the thread. They are right when they say keep practicing. The long rows gave me a chance to do that.

  19. #12619
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    I am so impressed with all the beautiful "rescued" machines here. I have two in the basement that I plan on cleaning and restoring this summer.
    I am halfway through the pages.
    I also picked up an older DeLuxe KTB machine for my sil. It works great for what she wants.
    I also bought an older Necchi Miracle. It's at the shop being checked over. I can hardly wait to pick it up! I wish I had not traded my "old" Singer in for a new Janome. It was a great machine and over 30 years old. I just wanted a new one when we retired as I knew I probably couldn't afford it then! An now I know we couldn't have afforded it!!
    Jan on 446

  20. #12620
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.

    15-88 Feb. 1933
    Name:  Attachment-172900.jpe
Views: 91
Size:  41.5 KB

    Proud of herself now.
    Name:  Attachment-172901.jpe
Views: 93
Size:  59.8 KB

    #22 cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-172902.jpe
Views: 87
Size:  79.2 KB

  21. #12621
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,811
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.
    Tommie, what a beauty! What kind of goofball would throw that out??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

    The cabinet is quite lovely. I hear that Howard's Restor-A-Finish will remove rings and water spots without having to strip and totally refinish the wood. You buy it in the wood color you need, such as oak, cherry, walnut... I have some to use on my old cabinets, but haven't gotten that far yet. ;o) I'm planning to use it on my dining room table, as well.

  22. #12622
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    That is a beautiful machine and cabinet. Good job on the cleaning up. Very nice!!!

    Melinda

    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.

  23. #12623
    Junior Member Kitzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    212
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.
    Great Job!! I am glad you braved the dumpster and took the time to give her a good cleaning. Amazing what a little time and effort can produce :D

  24. #12624
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    The cabinet is quite lovely. I hear that Howard's Restor-A-Finish will remove rings and water spots without having to strip and totally refinish the wood. You buy it in the wood color you need, such as oak, cherry, walnut... I have some to use on my old cabinets, but haven't gotten that far yet. ;o) I'm planning to use it on my dining room table, as well.[/quote]

    I have Howard's, but not that product. Shall have to find some. Thanks for the tip.

  25. #12625
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    From Dumpster to Diva - well almost! After 6 hours of cleaning, this Singer 15-88 in a #22 cabinet looks sooo much better. There 2 small holes through the veneer on the inside lid and the outside of the lid has bad plant rash.
    Tommi, love your 15-88! Geeze, what a deal!

    Nancy

    And Sewbizgirl, thanks for the information on Howard's Restor-A-Finish! I will have to try that!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.