Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Billy,
What is the difference in the decals from the Brown Lotus and the Lotus?[/quote]

One is orange in color and the other is brown.[/quote]

Ok,I'm still confused. I googled brown vs orange, and I can't find an example. All I see are browns. So, the difference is that the darker outer edge in the center decal is orange instead of brown?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:57 PM

I think I found an example of an orange.
Half way down this page. Sorry :oops:
http://www.sewalot.com/singer%2066.htm

Then I have have two browns, just picked up another this weekend at the local thrift store. I plan on following your tutorial on cleaning this one. My first one, I just carefully cleaned it and my husband made suggestions as to what not to used so that the decals would be preserved.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109761.jpe   attachment-109762.jpe  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Then I have have two browns, just picked up another this weekend at the local thrift store. I plan on following your tutorial on cleaning this one. My first one, I just carefully cleaned it and my husband made suggestions as to what not to used so that the decals would be preserved.
If I were you I would lose the motor and find the original Singer motor with the correct bracket. The wiring block needs to fasten onto the bracket for one and all of the wiring need replacing. I think I have the correct bracket for the machine if you want I will look for it. And I can get the correct cord for you to power up and use the machine.

Billy
Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Pre and during the civil war machines. Industrials would even be better knowing that they sewed Confederate uniforms.

The wooden machine is a patent model. They made the pre production machines out of wood to see what worked and didnt work. That machine is one of one that was ever made. The Smithsonian has sales every few years to clean out their attic so to speak and a few patent models will show up here and there. I have seen Singer patent models go for less than $100 bill. The next one I will be at so I can bet up as many as my bank account will allow me to buy.

Billy
And all of us will be rooting for you too!

Wouldn't it be great if these machines could tell us their stories! What they made, who sewed on them.

Nancy
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

If I were you I would lose the motor and find the original Singer motor with the correct bracket. The wiring block needs to fasten onto the bracket for one and all of the wiring need replacing. I think I have the correct bracket for the machine if you want I will look for it. And I can get the correct cord for you to power up and use the machine.

Billy[/quote]

My first thought when I saw this machine is that motor and light are going. I now have a box of motors. :) Kenmore one that was on my 15BG168, European one that came on my 201, this one, and one Singer motor that came on the 15-90.
I'm cleaning her up for treadle use or hand-crank.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If you guys get a chance you ought to look at the collection that this web site, sewalot, has to show. Pretty amazing machines!

Nancy
Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 AM

Here is a question for you guys that free motion quilt on a treadle. How do you cover your feed dogs on the old treadles?

Also, I think I read that the Singer 201 dropped its feed dogs. I also read that the 201 was the best Singer ever made, that the modern machines can't even compete with the 201?

Billy or someone can you explain that last statement? What made the 201 so special? Does the 201 say 201 on the arm so if I find one I will know it is a 201?

Nancy
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 AM

Met a cyber friend..a guy,(thought i was talking at a woman for months!) anyways..he met me at my sewing group on wednesday, and here is what his mom left him
and the email he just sent me:

"My Featherweight is SN: AE721278
Especially since you like the history aspects, do you know about this Serial Number stuff? I have two different SN lists from Singer and I believe the more detailed list but am concerned that both lists don't agree.

From http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html
AE-064.366 to AE-365.140 were made in 1936

But from http://www.singerco.com/pdf/SINGER_AE_nos.pdf
AE- 699591 749590 15 50000 November 4 1937
15 is the (Model No.)

Do you understand this??
And, what does 'allocated' mean? They could not have manufactured 50,000 machines on Nov 4th!! No way! loll"

Any help of info i can pass on to him, would be greatly appreciated! Kim

(i wish it was mine!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112441.bmp   attachment-112442.bmp   attachment-112443.jpe  
Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is a question for you guys that free motion quilt on a treadle. How do you cover your feed dogs on the old treadles?

Also, I think I read that the Singer 201 dropped its feed dogs. I also read that the 201 was the best Singer ever made, that the modern machines can't even compete with the 201?

Billy or someone can you explain that last statement? What made the 201 so special? Does the 201 say 201 on the arm so if I find one I will know it is a 201?

Nancy
The 201 is the smoothest machine that Singer ever made! I use my model 15 for FMQ and the feed dogs drop on it also. I love to FMQ on a treadle you have lots of control and can take your time if you want to.

Billy
Old 10-02-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Hi Nancy, As I was reading the manual for the 9W, (page 5 in part 2) it talks about adjusting the feed dog and how to raise and lower it. Not sure if it would lower enough to FMQ but would be cool if it did.
Beth