Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Also, I was talking to the sewing repair guy about FMQing on a treadle and about getting a 'darning plate.' He said that all I have to do is turn the stitch length screw all the way to zero. That way the feet don't move the fabric and you can FMQ all you want on any treadle? It makes sense to me, but I will have to try this.

Nancy
Ok ya all I did what my repair man said and it does not work!!!!

I tried turning the stitch length to zero to free motion quilt. Yes, I could do a wavy line, but no - can't do circles or loops or anything that means turning the fabric because the foot won't allow it. I tried turning the pressure for the foot all the way down, still won't let you turn the fabric to do loops or circles. I also tried FMQing without a foot. That resulted in just having my fabric pop up and down and mess up the stitch. Loosening the thread tension, everything you do to FMQ; but without a darning foot or FM foot it will not work.

I found a darning cover plate that I had for my 99K -- it works great on the Redeye 66 treadle; but that just made it even tighter for the fabric to fit under the foot. I have decided there is no way to FMQ unless you can drop those feed dogs!

On a happier note, I finally got a couple bobbins for my Redeye from the same repair man. I took the picture posted here of what the bobbins should look like. He 'gave' me two bobbins to try. They work great. My Redeye is treadling like a charm!

Nancy
Old 10-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok ya all I did what my repair man said and it does not work!!!!

I tried turning the stitch length to zero to free motion quilt. Yes, I could do a wavy line, but no - can't do circles or loops or anything that means turning the fabric because the foot won't allow it. I tried turning the pressure for the foot all the way down, still won't let you turn the fabric to do loops or circles. I also tried FMQing without a foot. That resulted in just having my fabric pop up and down and mess up the stitch. Loosening the thread tension, everything you do to FMQ; but without a darning foot or FM foot it will not work.

I found a darning cover plate that I had for my 99K -- it works great on the Redeye 66 treadle; but that just made it even tighter for the fabric to fit under the foot. I have decided there is no way to FMQ unless you can drop those feed dogs!

On a happier note, I finally got a couple bobbins for my Redeye from the same repair man. I took the picture posted here of what the bobbins should look like. He 'gave' me two bobbins to try. They work great. My Redeye is treadling like a charm!

Nancy
Try a spring needle or a spring foot, that might help. I have all the tools and goodies around here to FMQ, but I've never been moved to do so. The most used machine for FMQ (that I know of) is either 15-88 or Necchi BU. I have both of these machines, and both are being finicky right now, so not sewing on either one of them.
I have a small design I want to quilt on a small quilt, but can't get any of my machines that are set up to behave, so am pouting and not doing anything.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 PM

Nancy[/quote]

He 'gave' me two bobbins to try. They work great. My Redeye is treadling like a charm!

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy,
Glad to hear you found bobbins that work for you. :)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

First, let me say hello, I'm that little brown mouse that keep slipping in and out that hole over there in the corner, reading your post and peeking at your pix's, and smelling your good eats, and sipping the coffee and drinking the tea. I just love this shop. It took me three months to read all 389 pages of this post. It's been my favorite stop on this forum. I don't have a collection because I am an apartment dweller. But, I do have a vintage 'Singer 401A. It has been in the family since either 63 or 64. It took the place of a 1930 something 201A. Love all of your finds and one day I am going to own a FW. I do have a couple question concerning the 401. But, since I was so long-winded to let everyone know that I was really lurking in the corner. I'll come around with a little less wind and shoot from the hip with my question in regard to the 401A.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
First, let me say hello, I'll come around with a little less wind and shoot from the hip with my question in regard to the 401A.

Hello and welcome! Glad you came out of hiding; enjoyed reading your first post.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Try a spring needle or a spring foot, that might help. I have all the tools and goodies around here to FMQ, but I've never been moved to do so. The most used machine for FMQ (that I know of) is either 15-88 or Necchi BU. I have both of these machines, and both are being finicky right now, so not sewing on either one of them.
I have a small design I want to quilt on a small quilt, but can't get any of my machines that are set up to behave, so am pouting and not doing anything.
Does anyone on here FMQ with a treadle other than the Necchi or Model 15?

I found while searching in google a repair manual for the Model 66 that says you can drop the feed dogs? I'm still afraid to try.

Ok, I will move my machines and set up the 15-88 where my Redeye now sits. It has a slightly smaller throat, but if that one is the better choice I will use the 15-88.

Miz Johnny/Billy what about my Singer 9W? Could that be turned into a FMQing machine? Both of the older machines have more space under the throat than the Model 15.

If I have to use my Model 15-88, that is ok; but I still need to know how to drop those feed dogs. Please post a picture so I know how to get the feed dogs down.

Also, can I get an applique' foot, or FM foot, or a 'spring foot' like Miz Johnny says for the 15? Billy do you have them?

Nancy
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
First, let me say hello, I'm that little brown mouse that keep slipping in and out that hole over there in the corner, reading your post and peeking at your pix's, and smelling your good eats, and sipping the coffee and drinking the tea.
Wecome aboard!

Be careful, though, your apartment may just fill up with treadles before you know what happened!

Nancy
Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
What model Viking do you have? Check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/
Miz Johnny, I love that site for info on my viking!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 AM

Stitches in Time sells a spring needle that lots of people seem to like. (I'm surrounded by quilters; eventually I'm thinking some of it will rub off on me.)

I'm having a hard time adding links to this post--I'll keep trying.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Evidently, this board doesn't like tinyurls, so I will have to post the whole thing and you will have to copy and paste to get it all:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...es/image36.htm

Here are some other sites that might be helpful in your machines:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Free-Motion-...PageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:5

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...ngtreadle.html

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/11/...r-vintage.aspx

I think this woman is a genius:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/categori...20Reviews.aspx