Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM

I have a question, Miz Johnny, you probably know the answer! What size shuttle does my Davis Vertical Feed machine take. My machine in from 1890 and it is not the New High Arm Vertical Feed you see all the time. I know it takes a #10 needle, but what number shuttle?

I think someone put a shuttle in and it is not the right one for this machine.

Does anyone have a resource for shuttle sizes for these old machines?

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
The 15-88 is a treadle, 15-89 a handcrank, 15-90 electric with separate motor and 15-91 electric with potted motor. They are all the same machine; they just have different methods of power. The 15- or 15K is basically the same machine without reverse. The 115 is a rotary shuttle machine. There are many small variations, but any class 15 machine is worth having. If I could have only one, it would probably be a class 15 machine.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I have a question, Miz Johnny, you probably know the answer! What size shuttle does my Davis Vertical Feed machine take. My machine in from 1890 and it is not the New High Arm Vertical Feed you see all the time. I know it takes a #10 needle, but what number shuttle?

Love that avatar Nancy !!
Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Can you point me toward a picture of the machine? Also, examine your shuttle carefully; make sure the tip isn't blunted and there's no burrs on it. Also, most Davis shuttles I've seen has the name printed on it. Does it just not fit right in the carrier?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?
Needlebar has an excellent Singer model 15 comparison chart. http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html
Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
JC27 JA13 111 (or H1 instead of 111?)
These numbers coincide with the Koyu company and these badged machines........Seammaster, Dressmaker, Aldens. The JC number is the first one in that entry so I have no comparisons. But this will help with my research and I thank you for the numbers!

Billy[/quote]

Billy, I am hoping to get back to my basement clearing next week, and I have several (many?) Japanese machines down there. Do you want the numbers, etc., as I run across them? LOL!! Let me know what information you need on each, and I'll do my best--slowly as I unearth them.

I'm glad someone is doing research on these machines. They are usually wonderful, and the colors are incredible.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Love that avatar Nancy !!
Thank you Howard or is it Loraine talking?

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Hey Billy, glad to see you're posting again. Hope you had a good holiday rest. Now - Get Busy!!! - No, really... Go to page 492 where I have two posts re: La Reine. First post has pix of my machine and second one has one about the number 2929792. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated. Another poster pointed me to a site that had a Davis Honeymoon that had a cabinet exactly like mine.

Update: I just looked and the shuttle has "Davis" printed on it.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Nancy

Can you point me toward a picture of the machine? Also, examine your shuttle carefully; make sure the tip isn't blunted and there's no burrs on it. Also, most Davis shuttles I've seen has the name printed on it. Does it just not fit right in the carrier?
Miz Johnny my machine is posted on page 474. I see shuttles on E-bay all the time, but they are sold as number so and so. I wish I knew which number went with my machine, if any of them do that is. Or at least, what the exact length should be for my shuttle. Do you have a machine like mine that you could measure the shuttle and send a picture?

I really want to get this machine working! I will go out to the garage (that is where Betty lives right now) and see if the shuttle has Davis printed on it and measure as soon as it warms up a bit! (We have a detached garage and it is 20 degrees right now!)

The shuttle seems to fit properly, but it is facing the wrong direction for the needle to pick up the thread? I have tried putting it in differently, that will not work. It is in properly, just doesn't seem to face the correct direction for the needle to pick up the thread.

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

All the machines I found today, save one, were in pretty bad shape. When I moved the wheels, they didn't sew freely. Only one still felt like precision movement when I turned the wheel. Any of these badly needs a big cleaning.

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on these. Prices were about $45-$75, and $145 for a Pfaff 135 that looked mint except the cord needs to be replaced. Advice?
The 15-88 is a treadle, 15-89 a handcrank, 15-90 electric with separate motor and 15-91 electric with potted motor. They are all the same machine; they just have different methods of power. The 15- or 15K is basically the same machine without reverse. The 115 is a rotary shuttle machine. There are many small variations, but any class 15 machine is worth having. If I could have only one, it would probably be a class 15 machine.
Thank you for that clarification.