Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Miz Johnny you have a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase? Geeze, I'd like to see your collection. If you have a Model 12, please post pictures!

Nancy
I have at least 3 Model 12 machines--2 HCs, a treadle with the folding coffin top, a parts machine. I think that's all! None of them are beautiful, but they are what they are!! No, I saw an ad on Craigslist, the prices are great, and I know the guy selling them. Just thought I'd mention it if anyone is close enough and interested.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

The VF happens to be in my sewing room (and I use the term loosely, as I rarely get any sewing done) and my GD is asleep in there, so it will have to wait. Especially since she's feeling better and has been acting like a 3-year-old today!!
The Boye 10 is for "Davis New Style", which would be the "modern" one that uses 15 x 1 needles. There is no shuttle listed for the old style.
I have a stash of old shuttles in addition to the 5 Boye cases, so am going to try some that look like they might work. More than once I've had someone stumped by a missing shuttle, and we've just gone through shuttle after shuttle until we find one that works. I have to think on whether or not I have any Davis-made machines in my stash; I can try those out as well. It will be a couple of days, but I will get back with you.
I will be patiently waiting, take your time Miz Johnny as this machine is not going anywhere yet. I really don't want to spend $45 on a shuttle unless I know it will work.

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
My Singer 301 is skiping stitches when I sew anything heavy weight, like flannel, jeans, and anything with fusable web. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I rethreaded and changed the bobbin but no such luck.
You may need to fool around with the tension while using thicker fabrics. Also you may need to change the pressure of the feed dogs--I'm not exactly sure what that means :lol: but I read that once....it is the little knob on the top right of the 301.

Here is something else that I found that may be useful:

"Singer Needles

Singer needles are very common to one another and I think Singer figured it out early to use the same needle on most of there home style machines so the house wife could find a replacement needle easily. Here are a few machines that use the same needles.

Singer Machines using 15x1 needles:
Singer 101
Singer 221
Singer 201-2
Singer 15-91
Singer 301
Singer 401

As you can see the as you go down through the one hundred numbers the needles stay the same in the home Singer machines for the most part.

Not all machines have the flat side facing the left when you are setting at the machine. That usually depends on how the rotary is setting in the machne and of course not machines all thread from right to left.

Needles are one of the most important items to good sewing so replace them offten. Some of the things that go wrong with needles are:

Flat end on needle = Makes a noise every time the needle goes in the material
Hook on End of needle = Pulling your material or making an unusal looking stitch
Dull needle = Machine runing slower not able to sew some material easily
Bent needle = Skipping stitches
Needle in wrong = Skipping stitches or poor stitching
Wrong needle = skipping stitches, hitting rotary, breaking needle,

If you have any problem with your sewing this is one of the first things to try. Change the needle it is the cheapest repair you can make."
Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Usually the 301 isn't quite as expensive as the FW. Other than those two I can't think of another light one. I carry my 301 in the RV. I like the handle on top.
The location of the bobbin seems awfully awkward. Does it cause problems?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
The location of the bobbin seems awfully awkward. Does it cause problems?
No, I haven't found it to be awkward to put a bobbin in. The little shelf of the left side of the 301 (and FW's) swings up to give you access to that area.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 AM

My Singer 301 is skiping stitches when I sew anything heavy weight, like flannel, jeans, and anything with fusable web. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I rethreaded and changed the bobbin but no such luck.
Katfish are you saying your 301 sews great when you sew light weight fabrics like quilting cotton? If your machine is only skipping stitches on the heavier fabrics, then I'd agree with everyone else. It is probably the needle. Did you insert a needle appropriate for the heavier fabrics like a Jeans/denim 100? Also, make sure your needle is orientated correctly for that machine and threaded correctly - left to right - right to left - whatever your manual says. I have 19 sewing machines and I have to look at a little cheater chart everytime I change needles and thread the needles to make sure the needle's flat side is set correctly and the needle is threaded from the correct side -- it seems a lot of the machines are different that way!

Nancy
Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I know what you mean about the 301. I just purchased my 3rd on last week. Love them. Take it to class with me. I actually prefer it to my Featherweights.
I'm right there with ya!! :mrgreen: I used to have 3--one in each color and then for my birthday I bought another one for myself from the same girl that I purchased my others. Then I took a peek at Craigslist and lo and behold....there was one for sale (really cheap) there, too!! :shock: So now I have 2 mocha's, 2 two tone and one black. Awwww....poor lonely little black 301, now I'll have to get another black one.
Geeze, I guess I will have to find a 301 now! Well, that gives me something to look forward too! I am already looking for a 201 because of this thread!

I wish some of you were closer, I have two White's I am going to take to Hospice. One is an Electric Crinkle Embossed White Rotary from 1931 (page 392) - it sews great (I may chicken out on taking that one to Hospice). The other one is in a cabinet, a 1950 Crinkle Rotary. It also sews great! I also have the Chandler Mini Skipper. I just don't have room! I need to cut down a little so I can make more room for some machines I really want! I just counted and I have 21 machines!

Nancy
Old 12-31-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Katfish are you saying your 301 sews great when you sew light weight fabrics like quilting cotton? If your machine is only skipping stitches on the heavier fabrics, then I'd agree with everyone else. It is probably the needle. Did you insert a needle appropriate for the heavier fabrics like a Jeans/denim 100? Also, make sure your needle is orientated correctly for that machine and threaded correctly - left to right - right to left - whatever your manual says. I have 19 sewing machines and I have to look at a little cheater chart everytime I change needles and thread the needles to make sure the needle's flat side is set correctly and the needle is threaded from the correct side -- it seems a lot of the machines are different that way!

Nancy
Correct, The needle goes flat side to the back and thread the needle right to left...
Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Whenpigsfly - I think I have the exact machine in your avatar! I got it new in 1964 and have toted it all over the country when we have moved. It has never given me a lick of trouble and I have only had it serviced a handful of times.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I want to get a portable sewing machine to carry in an RV. Other than the Featherweight (which I probably can't afford) and the 301, are there any lightweight Singers?
Hang in there on a 301 cause my daughter found me one at a garage sale for $2.00. Black, long bed, beautiful condition.