Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Here are some pictures Nancy wanted me to post in hopes of getting her Davis VF working. Hope this will help :?
Ok Trish, I got all the pictures and they will be so helpful. Thank you very much. I can't see that your shuttle says "Davis?" Did I miss the Davis on the shuttle? I have a shuttle that looks identical, I will measure it tomorrow. I am pretty sure when I did measure my shuttle, it measured about 2 1/8 like yours.

Tomorrow I am going to bring the Davis in from the garage so I can work on it a little more seriously. All those pictures will help tremendously!

Nancy
The shuttle did not have any writing on it at all. No marks of any kind.

:?
Send me a picture of your shuttle installed. Are you sure the needle is up all the way to the little stop on the side of the needlebar? The flat side of the needle goes to the right. Thread from left to right. You may have tried these but just a suggestion. DH tilted the machine back with the needle all the way down into the plate and you can see about 1/4" of the needle extended down. Maybe this will help???
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

The shuttle did not have any writing on it at all. No marks of any kind.

Send me a picture of your shuttle installed. Are you sure the needle is up all the way to the little stop on the side of the needlebar? The flat side of the needle goes to the right. Thread from left to right. You may have tried these but just a suggestion. DH tilted the machine back with the needle all the way down into the plate and you can see about 1/4" of the needle extended down. Maybe this will help???
Yes, the needle is inserted correctly and the machine is threaded correctly with the thread from left to right. I will check on the amount of needle protruding today.

I am so glad I have not bought that shuttle that says "Davis" yet as that may not even be the problem since you can sew without an actual Davis shuttle.

Miz Johnny have you had any time to test the theory of the Davis shuttle?

Nancy
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi, I just found this blog which is wonderful, and after reading 15 pages, I figured I best just ask. Just before the holidays I acquired a Singer 15-91 reversible feed in the cabinet. It has the manual and a lot of parts, but I haven't had a chance to play with her yet. I have also featherweight- is this model worth hanging on to? I haven't seen anything written about it, just what I've found online. I'm a bit space challenged, so if she's nothing special, I'll find her another good home. I just have to say yes whenever I see an old machine, but that's why we're all here, right?
Sally
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 AM

OH NO!!! Don't ever part with a Featheweight - they are very collectible and you will always find someone willing to buy it from you if you really want to get rid of it.

Once you start sewing on your FW - you will love it. They are awesome little machines.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 AM

NO, NO, NO, to the Featherweight. It doesn't take up that much room. You can store it on a closet shelf. It only weighs 11 lbs!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Oh no, I didn't mean I would get rid of the featherweight! Silly me worded that wrong! She's on my sewing :dresser" so I can just look at her every day and dust her! It's the one in the cabinet. I would keep all the featherweights I could find and even shelve them...not sure if I even have wall space left, but I'd work it out LOL!
Sally
Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter
Oh no, I didn't mean I would get rid of the featherweight! Silly me worded that wrong! She's on my sewing :dresser" so I can just look at her every day and dust her! It's the one in the cabinet. I would keep all the featherweights I could find and even shelve them...not sure if I even have wall space left, but I'd work it out LOL!
Sally
Boy am I glad you clearified yourself...LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM

So, to repeat Sally's original question - Is the Singer 15-91 something she should keep/collectible?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Yeah retirement - gotta hold out another 9-10 yrs for that one and who knows what economy will be like then?
But back to play time for big people, these would just be Saturday day trips or taking a vac day during the week to play.

BUT.... first we need to convince Miz Johnny to extend a lovely invitiation to us who are within easy driving distance. We could meet for brunch so she could get to know her new playmates from the shop before inviting us to play at her house.
Miz Johnny are you listening to this subliminal message?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter
Hi, I just found this blog which is wonderful, and after reading 15 pages, I figured I best just ask. Just before the holidays I acquired a Singer 15-91 reversible feed in the cabinet. It has the manual and a lot of parts, but I haven't had a chance to play with her yet. I have also featherweight- is this model worth hanging on to? I haven't seen anything written about it, just what I've found online. I'm a bit space challenged, so if she's nothing special, I'll find her another good home. I just have to say yes whenever I see an old machine, but that's why we're all here, right?
Sally
No you don't want to keep that old featherweight since we all collect them. Just send it to WV we will give it a good home. Just kidding you best hang on to that machine they are really nice to sew on and so easy to carry around. Just look at some of the prices that they are going for on e-bay. Try her out you won't be sorry you did. She will probably need a good cleaning and oiling if she has been setting for a while not hard to do. I didn't read far enough to see you didn't mean the FW.

:thumbup: