Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Bojangles, I factored the shipping when I was comparing the price to a cleaning price. I don't think $21.90 from California to Michigan is bad.

whenpigsfly, your little 128 is a twin to mine. The size belies the weight on that machine. Could they have used any heavier cast iron.? I still haven't cleaned mine up, but she sewed when I tried her out at her former home.
Wow! You got a really sweet deal!

Nancy
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM

"Word to the wise - when I picked the machine up by the top, the wooden base fell apart. I was able to reglue it and add some shims, but it wasn't fun working with one hand while I held the little heavyweight out of the way."

The handle on the top of the bentwood case is only meant to lift the lid off the machine, not for carrying the machine and case. Its just not strong enough.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Nancy, Where is this guy in VA. How can my DH contact him. We are living on the VA line and could possibably go see him.
Thanks

Trish, I will send him an e-mail and ask him where in VA he is lcoated. I don't remember what the address label said on the needles I bought.

Nancy
Trish, he is in Alexandria. Do you know where that is?

Nancy
Thanks Nancy, yes we know where that is. It's the DC burbs. Been past there many many times. How do you talk with him by phone or e mail? Can you pm me with the info?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

Nancy, Where is this guy in VA. How can my DH contact him. We are living on the VA line and could possibably go see him.
Thanks

Trish, he is in Alexandria. Do you know where that is?

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, yes we know where that is. It's the DC burbs. Been past there many many times. How do you talk with him by phone or e mail? Can you pm me with the info?
I talk to him via his e-bay e-mail address. If you want to get ahold of him do a search in E-Bay for Davis VF Sewing Machine Needles. His ad comes up for Davis VF needles. His name on the ad is bgrewe224u. Just send a message to him. He will answer right away.

Nancy
Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 AM

It wasn't the case that fell apart, it was the wooden base the machine is attached to. The wood is very dry and has had some water damage - like it had sat on a basement floor at some point. I picked up the machine with my hand under the top cross piece and the wooden base fell apart. I hope Elmer's Carpenter glue is strong enough to hold it together. Seems to be okay.

I have to pick it up by the base when it's in the case because the key is missing so the case doesn't lock unto the base.

I have an email that says my 'package' is on its way. Where am I going to put it? Will a 301 fit in a Kenmore cabinet? Or do I use it sitting on a table? Is the base level enough for that? I guess I will know the answer to these questions in a few days.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM

I have an email that says my 'package' is on its way. Where am I going to put it? Will a 301 fit in a Kenmore cabinet? Or do I use it sitting on a table? Is the base level enough for that?
My 301's sit nicely on a flat surface. I didn't have a cabinet for them until I found one on Craigslist just recently. You are going to love your 301. Which color is it?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM

I have to pick it up by the base when it's in the case because the key is missing so the case doesn't lock unto the base.

Did you know you can use a tiny flat head screwdriver as a key? Turn left to lock.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM

A sight I have never seen. I am delivering a featherweight from my sis to a lady here in Wichita. This is a pristine, almost unused FW. When I opened the top of the case, there sat a red plastic tray for accessories. I presume it is original. I have never seen one of these and it sits correctly on the flanges(?) on the end. Am I correct?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159441.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM

cabbagepatchkid, my 301 is the tan color. I am not a purist. If I like the machine, I'll buy her some decals or have my oldest daughter paint some flowers on her. It appears to be in very good condition cosmetically. Do 301s have names like the older Singers? My 128 is Mamie after my grandmother, though it's not the machine I sewed on at her house. Hers was bigger and shiny.

I have a cabbagepatch kid in my sewing room somewhere.

whenpigsfly, Thank you for the info. Another use for the little screwdriver that came with my Elna. I'm surprised I still have it after nearly 40 years.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM

We name all our machines. Some are after the people we got them from. We have a machine from a man that is 74 or 75 years old and the machine was his grandmothers. So we named it after her Cora. When we saw him again I told him what we did and he broke out in a smile and his daughter gave me a hug.