Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by kwendt

I'm curious... my MIL just told me she had a flip up. She thinks it's a FW (it's in a case, on the floor, in the back of her sewing room gathering dust bunnies...). I seem to remember that her daughter has the FW. So now I'm wondering what the heck my MIL might have. (I go to her house tomorrow to check...).

(
My 301's came in a case that looks like a medium sized suitcase. The FW case is much smaller. Either way, FW or 301, I know you will be happy.

To answer a question you asked a few posts back....the short bed is the one that will fit into the cabinets. The long bed does not. My black one is a long bed and all the others are short beds. I finally found a cabinet for mine, on CL, and it even had a two toned 301 in it!! :-D Even if you don't have a cabinet they sit nicely on a table top.

I've been making a log cabin quilt on mine. The thing that I really love about it is that it doesn't eat the fabric even when the pieces are really small (I've also been making a crumb quilt)---they just glide right through.
In order for a short bed 301 to fit into a cabinet, you must have the "cradle", as the 301 has no holes in the machine to mount in a cabinet. The long bed 301 won't go in a cabinet.(Sorry if any one has already answered this)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Wow, this would be a great grandchild project. The kids could sit and sew all they wanted. When they had a big enough piece all I'd have to do is square them up! Great idea!
Oh we are talking about Crumb quilts!
Nancy[/quote]

I had my step-granddaughters sewing on my 201 with the hand crank. We had a great time. They are 6 & 9, they think sewing is fun! They were making crumb blocks, 1st time sewing ever for both of them. They really liked being able to control the machine, the Featherweight scared them, said it goes too fast.
I want to get a hand crank for my 99K, that's how it was originally. I'm sure of this, because I put the 201's hand crank on the 99K and it still fits in the bentwood case with the top on.
Sharon W.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks Billy and vintage...I was away from my computer all day( that darn day job, ha!) and just now got online..I will fetch the 201 and see about the screw. I'm so excited to see if this solves my problem, it's really unnerving to have the entire tensioner just drop out!!!As vintagemotif said "eek"! I'm so thankful for all the help I get on this board! I'll keep you posted!
Jane[/quote]

My 201K treadle machine used to do that too! Come to find
out the screw that holds it all on wasn't the correct one, it was a modern screw that was a bit too short. I finally took her to the Singer man and he found the right screw and no more problems. YEAH!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:34 PM

sewgray]I bought this off CL this weekend for $40. The year is 1959 and she was made in S.C. Do you think I got a good deal.

Yes you got a great deal.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Has anyone attended a TOGA (Treadle On Gathering and Academy)?

If you're not familiar with them, check here
http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm
I have attended one TOGA and it was so much fun! I may go to the North-East Texas TOGA, don't know if I want to drive that far though. Its about a 5 hour drive.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
http://www.treadleon.net/fleamarket/events.htm

No I haven't, but I think I should start attending these events. :)
There is so much to learn about these vintage machines. I would love to meet others who love to treadle. Thanks for the post!
This group sounds very interesting. Is any one here a member of Treadle On?

Nancy
I've been a member of Treadle On since 2007.
Sharon W.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The Wheeler and Wilson machines are NOT the same bed size as Singer. The only WW style machine that will fit in a singer cabinet is the Singer 9W.
Wheeler Wilson machines are a dream to sew on.
Yes, Miz Johnny is right, I love to sew with my Wheeler & Wilson machine. I also love to sew with the Singer 9W, which is essentially a Wheeler & Wilson. But, I usually end up using my Singer 15-88 because it has a reverse, which I think is so neat when using a treadle!

Sharon I think it was you who said the VS bothers you, but I find it calming to listen to those Vibrating Shuttles!

Miz Johnny, after all your mishaps just getting those treadles loaded to go to retreat -- how are your bruises? I am sorry to hear about all those 90 blocks being wrong. That is very disheartening! I think you handled it very well! I probably would have broke something!

Nancy
Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
I'm feeling a little sick catching up on all these posts again. I have a treadle Singer that I haven't done a thing with. It was a gift from the husband of my friend who passed away in August. He didn't care to keep it, I had been looking for one and he just gave it to me! And I have the 15-91 that I have replaced the cord on so it will run, BUT, I'm hosting a cousins get together for my husbands family on Saturday which means I have to clean up my house, keep things in order so no dragging out the machines to play!! I have to clean, straighten, tidy and cook all week (and here I sit!!) when I want to play with my toys!!
I'm in the middle of a rag quilt...just have the cutting to do for the "fraying", so it's coming along, but I have to clean, straighten, tidy......LOL!!
We hear your agony! Just look at all the honey do projects your DH will owe you after this Weekend is over!

Nancy
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy, That is a round wooden sewing box with lid. Found it in the trash on the street by our house when living in Germany. Yes I do use all my treadles to piece quilts. Thank you, I am glad you like what us quilter guys can do. Some of these men are really good. Glenn
I'd say you guys are really good! Now I am going to have to try harder just to keep up!

Nancy
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Miz Johnny, I looked through your webshots and saw your National that you cleaned with GoJo and Armour-All. Very pretty machine!
I guess I just need to get brave, start with a test area, and pray that all works well. :)
Monica, how did you look up Miz Johnny's 'webshots' to find the National. I tried doing searches of "Miz Johnny" and "National sewing machine" and couldn't find it?

Nancy