Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Just make a couple rows of treadles and put your mattress on top!! LOL
Love it, lol
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM

It would be sew fun to sleep on a row of treadles. Unfortunately, my cats would scratch the living *&^% out of em with their claws. Nope, all the machines go into my little sew room. IF I should get a treadle (and I'd love to) it has to stay downstairs on the terrazo floor.

I ran across an oddity today, I go see it on Friday. It's a singer... got gobs of decals all over the thing... and the SN on the brass plate is: NL-K1343121. (Update: it's got the tensioner on the faceplate, and a belt running from the chrome spoke wheel to the motor on the back. Looks like either a Sphynx or Persian decals. D needle plate, and a gold S badge. Has the backtack/reverse features. I'm thinking its a 15, but not the 15-91. Still puzzled by the serial number.

??? Taiwan? or? What is it? I've got some really fuzzy pictures. Should I consider paying $100 for it if it's in good shape? Comes in a bentwood case.

??? Thanks!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Can anyone help? I have a Pathfinder by Davis and it is a vibrating shuttle. It is skipping stiches and I am wondering if I am getting the shuttle in right. It is 1890 and not a VF machine. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Glenn
Old 01-26-2011, 04:22 PM

Update - Schmertz needles do fit in the 301. I don't know why I had trouble Monday. Yesterday the needle went in fine. I cleaned the machine and put it back together incorrectly. Thank goodness, I had printed off a manual from a website so I could fix my error.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by tjradj
Ok, i have to confess. I am a turncoat. Bought a green grasshopper ELNA on eBay....... do you still love me?
I still think you're tops... and oh... you're not the only person on this thread with a 'grasshopper'.... lol
Another Turncoat, here. I thought I was buying a 'grasshopper' but it's actually an Elna supermatic---just a little different from the 'grasshopper' but same color. It even had the case that makes the sewing area larger---I got mine from Craigslist.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by tjradj
Ok, i have to confess. I am a turncoat. Bought a green grasshopper ELNA on eBay....... do you still love me?
I still think you're tops... and oh... you're not the only person on this thread with a 'grasshopper'.... lol
Another Turncoat, here. I thought I was buying a 'grasshopper' but it's actually an Elna supermatic---just a little different from the 'grasshopper' but same color. It even had the case that makes the sewing area larger---I got mine from Craigslist.

You know, singer made a GREEN 201 looking sew machine... sort of a light industrial. I forget the number....
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I did date the 99k, it was born on june 4th, 1957. Thanks for the congrats. I am trying to figure out just where I'm gonna put the Davis. I'm totally running out of room. Guess we'll have to learn to sleep hanging like bats from the rafters to make more space.
Just make a couple rows of treadles and put your mattress on top!! LOL
Weedwoman: Hahahaha....hang from the rafters like bats---what a great idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pennijanine: I guess yours is a more practical idea, though. I have told myself...." NO MORE CABINETS"
Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM

I ran across an oddity today, I go see it on Friday. It's a singer... got gobs of decals all over the thing... and the SN on the brass plate is: NL-K1343121. (Update: it's got the tensioner on the faceplate, and a belt running from the chrome spoke wheel to the motor on the back. Looks like either a Sphynx or Persian decals. D needle plate, and a gold S badge. Has the backtack/reverse features. I'm thinking its a 15, but not the 15-91. Still puzzled by the serial number.

??? Taiwan? or? What is it? I've got some really fuzzy pictures. Should I consider paying $100 for it if it's in good shape? Comes in a bentwood case.

??? Thanks!
I was just checking those out because I saw one on Craigslist. The NL models were made in the 1980's. They are a real 15-91 but not one of the vintage ones. The one that I saw on Craigslist was for $35.00 and I would have bought it (just because the decals were so gorgeous) but it was too far from me.

Here is the listing for it:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/art/2176327487.html
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I ran across an oddity today, I go see it on Friday. It's a singer... got gobs of decals all over the thing... and the SN on the brass plate is: NL-K1343121.
??? Thanks!
I was just checking those out because I saw one on Craigslist. The NL models were made in the 1980's. They are a real 15-91 but not one of the vintage ones. The one that I saw on Craigslist was for $35.00 and I would have bought it (just because the decals were so gorgeous) but it was too far from me.

Hi Cathy... thanks for the timely update. Really good to know. I thought that the decal was a bit over the top showy. lol I wonder if it has all metal parts like the old 15-91 and sews as perfect a stitch as the old ones (in good working order) do. Ah well... Did singer ever make reproductions of other models?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM

I ran across an oddity today, I go see it on Friday. It's a singer... got gobs of decals all over the thing... and the SN on the brass plate is: NL-K1343121.
??? Thanks!

Hi Cathy... thanks for the timely update. Really good to know. I thought that the decal was a bit over the top showy. lol I wonder if it has all metal parts like the old 15-91 and sews as perfect a stitch as the old ones (in good working order) do. Ah well... Did singer ever make reproductions of other models?
From what I read, it's not a reproduction, that Singer never stopped making the 15-91 but when the company was sold then they were being produced in another company (Taiwan?) I found one site where the going price was really high. Check this out: http://www.7sew.com/singer/15_NL/index.html