Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by tomilu
Also, your W&W takes a 127x1 needle or Boye 18. The Davis takes a Boye 10 unless it is really old -- some of the really really old Davis VF took a Boye 20. These needles are no longer in production, so if you can find them you need to start stocking up if you plan on using your machines.

Nancy
There are 2 Boye cases of 18s, but they are rusted, in the Davis. hmmmm Thanks for the heads up on needles. I have a number of Boye cases w/needles, but don't remember what they are other than the 10s.
You may be able to rescue those needles. Try cleaning them with oxy-clean. I haven't used it yet, but I keep reading about people cleaning the rust off the metal parts of their machines with oxy-clean. It should work with your needles.[/quote]

We've used Evaporust and had great results getting rust off but I'm gonna give Oxyclean a try to, it's way cheaper. Thanx
Also been doing lots of reading on these machines that require these special needles like our Davis's and it's been said you can get by with reg needles by not shoving them all the way up in the needle slot and to keep adjusting until you get a good stitch. If this is so, it would be wonderful. I am gonna try it when my Davis is cleaned up and ready to use. Anybody else try this method?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My mother kept a 15-91 in the bathroom of the 2-bedroom bungalow she lived in. The bathroom was huge; in the wintertime she would turn on a portable heater in there and spend the day.

I have 4 treadles and 3 E-cabinets on my sunporch (I know it's not good for them, but have no other space), 1 treadle in my daughter's room (worse idea than the sunporch), 3 treadles and 2 E cabinets in my bedroom, 6 treadles in the LR, 7 treadles and 1 E cabinet in my upstairs Non-Sewing room (I say that because I rarely get to sew). In addition, there are handcranks perched here and there. The rest are in the basement, where I am struggling along trying to create a usable space.

None in the bathroom or kitchen!!
Wow... just wow. How do you dust them all? Maybe we should start a 'vintage sew machine horders' club? Billy and you can be honorary lifetime members, I should think. Oh wait... I guess that's what this thread is for, isn't it?! :D
Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM

You may be able to rescue those needles. Try cleaning them with oxy-clean. I haven't used it yet, but I keep reading about people cleaning the rust off the metal parts of their machines with oxy-clean. It should work with your needles.
Oxy? Really? Didn't think of that. I have just a slight bit of rust spotting on my bobbin case that came with the 15-91 I just bought. Just on the case, no where else on it.

Have another question. What do I use to get cigarette smoke out of/off of a vintage wood cabinet? The finish is shot, so I can strip it. I just don't know what, if anything will get that old tar/nicotine out of the porious wood. I didn't discover this issue until I got home and started getting hives on my hands and arms. I'm allergic to the tar... time. So any advice? Take the time and expense to strip it? (It's a cabinet 40) or ditch it. I do have another cabinet that my machine will fit it.. .if I can get the 66 out of it, without cutting the electric cord.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Darn, I don't like Singer needles, but apparently AnnieRose does. She was the only vintage machine in the class, but she did as well as any Janome there.
My old Singer 66-1 likes crappy thread and hates the more expensive stuff.
I bet she looks beautiful sitting in that class. Yes, the vintage Singers produce one of the finest stitches. Keep on taking AnnieRose to classes and next thing you will notice is others having vintage machines too. Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM

[quote=tomilu][quote=vintagemotif]
My DH says beet juice is supposed to clean rust off, lol.
Beet juice! I'm going to have to try this on a wheel of mine that has some rust. Healthier to use than the chemical stuff. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM

[quote=Weedwoman][quote=vintagemotif]
Also been doing lots of reading on these machines that require these special needles like our Davis's and it's been said you can get by with reg needles by not shoving them all the way up in the needle slot and to keep adjusting until you get a good stitch. If this is so, it would be wonderful. I am gonna try it when my Davis is cleaned up and ready to use. Anybody else try this method?
I read that too somewhere. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm still waiting for Billy's photo of his treadle in his bathroom.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 AM

[quote=kwendt]

Have another question. What do I use to get cigarette smoke out of/off of a vintage wood cabinet? The finish is shot, so I can strip it. I just don't know what, if anything will get that old tar/nicotine out of the porious wood. I didn't discover this issue until I got home and started getting hives on my hands and arms. I'm allergic to the tar... time. So any advice? Take the time and expense to strip it? (It's a cabinet 40) or ditch it. I do have another cabinet that my machine will fit it.. .if I can get the 66 out of it, without cutting the electric cord.
Just switch the cabinets.
Why should you cut the electrical cord?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Beet juice! I'm going to have to try this on a wheel of mine that has some rust. Healthier to use than the chemical stuff. Thanks!
I also heard that the soda "coke" will eat rust away, but that might also eat the chrome away!

Nancy
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Wow... just wow. How do you dust them all? Maybe we should start a 'vintage sew machine horders' club? Billy and you can be honorary lifetime members, I should think. Oh wait... I guess that's what this thread is for, isn't it?! :D
Not quite sure how to respond to this message? Not sure if I should feel offended or not? Billy's business is sewing machines. Miz Johnny is quite a collector too, you can see a lot of her machines on her webshots page!

But, yes we love all our vintage machines, and like most collectors can't wait to find more!

Nancy