Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 963 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 463 863 913 953 962 963 964 973 1013 1063 1463 ... LastLast
Results 24,051 to 24,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    ~sigh~ Why do I do it? I went to see the "sewing machine guy" (in parenthesis for a reason!) here in town, and asked him about needles for two of my machines. Asked about a 20x1, and got an incredulous "What do YOU want INDUSTRIAL needles for????"
    "Well, Louie, because they fit one of my machines."
    "You have an industrial machine???"
    "No Louie, I don't. They fit an AG Mason treadle machine."
    "No they won't. Those are INDUSTRIAL needles!"

*deep breath* *nother one*

"Ok Louie, they won't fit. Have anything like a Davis Long Needle or a Boye 10?"
    "What's a Davis long needle? I've never heard of "Boye", what's THAT?"

OMG. I was so frustrated that I wanted to bop his bald head!!!

"Here's an easy one for ya Louie...got a bobbin tire?"
    "Buck and a half" as he slid it across the counter. "Those are standard, ya know."

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm going to EBAY!!
    That is so frustrating! I hope you get what you need. Really it is money to him, what does he care what you want the long needles for anyway!

That screw could possibly be to adjust the buttonhole width? Years ago I worked on an old machine with a buttonhole attachment and if the buttonhole wasn't balanced on both long sides I could adjust I think a screw or little knob to make it stitch a heavier or lighter buttonhole? but it was on the front or side I think.

Good Luck

Suzy

Blog Entries
    ~sigh~ Why do I do it? I went to see the "sewing machine guy" (in parenthesis for a reason!) here in town, and asked him about needles for two of my machines. Asked about a 20x1, and got an incredulous "What do YOU want INDUSTRIAL needles for????"
    "Well, Louie, because they fit one of my machines."
    "You have an industrial machine???"
    "No Louie, I don't. They fit an AG Mason treadle machine."
    "No they won't. Those are INDUSTRIAL needles!"

*deep breath* *nother one*

"Ok Louie, they won't fit. Have anything like a Davis Long Needle or a Boye 10?"
    "What's a Davis long needle? I've never heard of "Boye", what's THAT?"

OMG. I was so frustrated that I wanted to bop his bald head!!!

"Here's an easy one for ya Louie...got a bobbin tire?"
    "Buck and a half" as he slid it across the counter. "Those are standard, ya know."

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm going to EBAY!!
    My local shop wants to see the machine before he will sell anything. Dang... He thinks I'm stupid or what?

Have you checked Organ sewing machine needles? I use them on my industrial. Might work for you. My sister buys them in bulk and we split up the pile. The local wants $2 a needle - I'm thinking I paid $1.50 a dozen or something like that when she got them in bulk.

Sew Classic wants 49cents for the bobbin tire. I figure to refer as many people to her as I can so she will stay in business... I might need something again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    That screw could possibly be to adjust the buttonhole width? Years ago I worked on an old machine with a buttonhole attachment and if the buttonhole wasn't balanced on both long sides I could adjust I think a screw or little knob to make it stitch a heavier or lighter buttonhole? but it was on the front or side I think.

Good Luck

Suzy
    OH I bet you are right - there is a setting on the automatic button holer like that - its for how wide the space between the rows! Wow - I've never seen that on a sewing machine! That must be a real nice machine.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    The zigzag is finally zigzagging-the medium and wide zz, not the narrow zz. I oiled and ran it, oiled and ran it, and each time I did, the zz got a little wider.

Now that I have the zz, I left it on its widest setting and turned the +/- screw all the way both ways. Neither had any bearing on the width of the zz. (Good thing that little screw clicks! That's how I knew how to put it back where it started-I counted clicks.)

I'm off to hunt an Elna manual; maybe that'll solve the mystery.
    It's how I do it. Oil it. Run it. Oil it. Run it. If all else fails, heat it. Open the nose end of the cover and give the needle bar a push. Note where it goes in and out from side to side. Then oil that spot. I doubt if you can get too much oil on it - kind of messy though... Paper towel to get some of the excess.

I thought I had a Elna free manual for you - the site is down. (I'm glad I got mine printed.) I wish you lived next door... I could let you look at my manual. Check Riccar, Necchi, Sears, JCPenny, MW, etc. See if you can find something in the same time or for the component you need to figure out. Most of the vintage machines are pretty basic mechanics and you can figure them out by tinkering. I'm thinking there were free Sears manuals out there somewhere too.

Blog Entries
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2577435651.html
    Why do I find all the cool toys the night before I have to work my two long days? Bummer. I bet it could use some wires.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Looks nice...not sure who badged it.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2577435651.html
    Why do I find all the cool toys the night before I have to work my two long days? Bummer. I bet it could use some wires.
    Do a motorectomy and treadle it!! :-D

Blog Entries
    I wonder how big it is
    Is it 3/4 size?
    I emailed the guy since it is so late.
    I bet it would hand crank
    You are such enablers...

Blog Entries
    http://muncie.craigslist.org/clt/2596108960.html
    Why is this one so expensive? What does it do?

Blog Entries
    Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan

Blog Entries
    http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2577435651.html Why do I find all the cool toys the night before I have to work my two long days? Bummer. I bet it could use some wires.
    I have a Federal. It's blue and in a cabinet. It is not a 15 clone because tension on front & not on faceplate. I do know mine was made in Japan. Yours is stubbier than mine. Mine is looks taller. I'll post a pic when I get home tomorrow night.

Blog Entries
    http://muncie.craigslist.org/clt/2596108960.html Why is this one so expensive? What does it do?
    Wow!! Expensive and bad pictures. Do like the feet shaped treadle pedal. Looks like needs a major cleaning. Can't help you as to the price except perhaps rarity and wishful thinking!

Blog Entries
    Because, like the seller says, that machine, in working order is rare...I'd love to have a Florence...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpete523
    Hi Charlee. I've been lurking in the back of the room and thought I'd offer a suggestion on industrial needles. I've had good luck finding oddball sizes at an industrial sewing supplier online. www.wawak.com and when I don't find something online I've called customer service. They are very helpful and their prices are very good. Maybe they could help you with the 20 x 1?

Jan
    Thanks Jan!! I will check that out!

Blog Entries
    Because, like the seller says, that machine, in working order is rare...I'd love to have a Florence...
    Compare!

http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2517056805.html

It's good looking! I'd offer $60 and work my way up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Compare!

I'd pay $300 for that machine in a heartbeat if I could!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Compare!

I'd pay $300 for that machine in a heartbeat if I could!!
    Time for you to take a road trip south. I'm cheap; so, I won't be purchasing this one. I'm only in for the free machines.
    Plus, I have no more room for treadles.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:
    Didn't Miz Johnny say there is always room in a bathroom for at least one treadle.

Davis is a good investment since you will get lots of use once you start making quilts.

Have you looked behind the face plate of your Davis. Totally different from other machines. Awesome design, it's like a piece of moveable art work!

Blog Entries
    [
    I wipe mine down with kerosene. Then I brush them off with a scotch brite pad. To finish, I use the mothers mag polish on them to make it all shiny![/quote]

You mean the Mothers line of car cleaning products?[/quote]

Yes. The little jar of mag wheel polish :)[/quote]

I'm confused. I purchased the little round jar of Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. While it says "Perfect for all metals" it also says" Not recommended for gold plating, chrome, anodized, painted or coated metals". What confused me is the "chrome". Aren't some of the parts like the handwheel and attachments, face plates, etc. chrome?

Help...was getting read to clean a couple of my vintage machines just to polish them up but this stopped me.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone remember when Sears stores had candy and popcorn counters? Wow...that was a LOOONNNGGG time ago!! I can barely remember it!! :shock:[/quote]

Oh, my, the candy counter was right in the center of the store and as soon as you walked in, you could smell the popcorn and the roasted peanuts. My dad always bought us the red hull peanuts which were warmed under a heat light. We never got a big bag though. Sometimes, we would get to choose orange slices or candy corn. I don't ever remember getting the M&Ms though. But that trip to the candy counter was a great memory us girls had with our Dad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpete523

Jan
    Thanks Jan!! I will check that out!
    me too