Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Well there ya go again. I leave this board alone for 3 hours and BAM, 4 more pages of posts to read. How am I going to get any quilting done?
Actually, I finished my niece's purple and blue quilt tonight, in time for guild show and tell Thursday, then pack her up and mail it in time for her birthday , first week of March. Wahooo!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Has anyone ever seen a model number like ml-k 4248624? I have a lead on a machine but the lady who has it knows NOTHING about machines and said this was the number on it. I can't meet with her until the weekend and I'm trying to find out some details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I she not able to send pics?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Has anyone ever seen a model number like ml-k 4248624? I have a lead on a machine but the lady who has it knows NOTHING about machines and said this was the number on it. I can't meet with her until the weekend and I'm trying to find out some details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I she not able to send pics?
She did send pics but they are not clear enough to really get any detail. It was clear enough to see the decals are in excellent condition and she is holding the machine for me so I hate to bug her. She bought the machine purely for the cabinet and knows nothing about the machine itself. I had to tell her where to look for the number. Looking at machine pictures online it looks like a model 15 possibly.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

If I knew what the name of the machine was I might could help you. I have lots of Serial numbers/dates and records from different manufacturers on my laptop I might have what you need.

Billy
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Billy it is a Singer.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM

When you go to ismacs.net/needle, type in needles for antique sewing machines and it will take you to the site ,scroll down you will see the list in pdf form click on this and it will take you do it. Glenn
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by tlcquiltnut
I bought this at an auction. Boy those things are heavy...
Do the fronts swing open on this to reveal drawers? I always thought that was a cool look!!

OOpps--if I'd read a little further, you answered that. . . .
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
When you go to ismacs.net/needle, type in needles for antique sewing machines and it will take you to the site ,scroll down you will see the list in pdf form click on this and it will take you do it. Glenn
Sometimes it goes dirctly to the list and sometimes not.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age. You can test the finish by using alcohol on the old finish in a spot that can not be seen readily. If it desolves the finish after a minute of rubbing then it is shellac. If not it is lacquer or varnish. Lacquer can be desolved with acetone. If these two products don't desolve the finish then you have varnish. After stripping and staining you can use any one of the three for final finish. I recommend you use shellac for ease of use and dries to touch in 30 min or less so does not collect dust in wet finish. Lacquer is to difficult for the home owner to use and for health reasons.

If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn
Thank you Glenn!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Does anyone know anything about a "New National" Hand Crank Machine? What should I look for to tell if it is complete?
What kind of price range do they tend to go for? Thanx in advance. luv2learn
I have (at least) one:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-119492.jpe