Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Ok, I just saw this topic yesterday, so I'm coming in late to the discussion, but would like to add some photos of my vintage machines.

The 1940 Singer 201 came from an estate auction, in a #42 cabinet, for $20.
There are more, but don't have photos yet of all of them.

Pink Singer 99, Featherweight, Singer 201
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259209[/ATTACH]

1902 Singer 27 treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259210[/ATTACH]

~1900 Standard treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259211[/ATTACH]

Kenmore 158.13571, bought new in late '70s
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259213[/ATTACH]

Singer 15 Clone, made in Japan, ~1953
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259215[/ATTACH]

My early birthday present
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259218[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259156.jpe   attachment-259157.jpe   attachment-259158.jpe   attachment-259160.jpe   attachment-259162.jpe  

attachment-259165.jpe  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Im tempted to have a FW repainted....... can anyone recommend someone who does this?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

This is the first time I dare to check out all these pics....OMG I am soooo jealous......I want a treadle sooo bad only thing is since I don't know much about restoring I need to find one that already works and the cabinet in half way decent shape that is not outrageous on price. One day I will I just know it....:-)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Shoot-I meant for this to go in the VSMS thread, not here.

Look what I found! Er, what did I find? It's cute, whatever it is! It looks like a mini tension-top, or whatever they're called.

I stopped at the local fruit stand today for muscadines, and had a poke around in the back where the, er, "treasures" are, and found this little beauty. Pardon the bad photo-that's a cell phone shot in the dark back of the room.

It says Plaza, although it looks like the word itself was done differently than the decals, and is wearing off differently than the decals, so I dunno. (It's not pin rash.) It appears to be 3/4 size, and electrified-there's a motor and foot pedal, but no treadle. The decals are in great condition; the cabinet is beat. The mechanism turns grudgingly, but the needle bar does move with it, so I suspect a good oiling would help. As you can see, the front slide plate is missing, and has been replaced with a piece of old, brittle, pale yellow plastic. It's stuck; I couldn't get it off to see if the shuttle is still there or not.

They were asking $100 for it. A: I'm not a fan of vibrating shuttles, B: I don't really have room for it, even without the cabinet. But I'll keep an eye out-if it's still there in November or so, I'll offer them less and see if they're interested.

Does anyone have any info about this kind of machine? My google-fu was singularly unhelpful.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-259185.jpe  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Look what I found! Er, what did I find?

They were asking $100 for it. A: I'm not a fan of vibrating shuttles, B: I don't really have room for it, even without the cabinet. But I'll keep an eye out-if it's still there in November or so, I'll offer them less and see if they're interested.

Does anyone have any info about this kind of machine? My google-fu was singularly unhelpful.

This is a difficult one to find info. Recently, someone else posted a similar machine on the VSMS thread asking what machine is this. Nancy knew! This machine looks the same as the one in question and Nancy's.

This one looks to be a badge New Home machine; their 3/4 machine with is smaller. Look at Nancy's post on page 665 in VSMS; scroll to bottom page and compare. Hard to see all of Nancy's mahcine, but this machine looks very similar.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-665.htm
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Look what I found! Er, what did I find?

This is a difficult one to find info. Recently, someone else posted a similar machine on the VSMS thread asking what machine is this. Nancy knew! This machine looks the same as the one in question and Nancy's.

This one looks to be a badge New Home machine; their 3/4 machine with is smaller. Look at Nancy's post on page 665 in VSMS; scroll to bottom page and compare. Hard to see all of Nancy's mahcine, but this machine looks very similar.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-665.htm
Thanks for the info! And yes, decals aside, they certainly seem to be the same machine. Do you by any chance happen to know the name/model number for the 3/4 size Hew Home? Now I'm curious!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM

I had this machine waiting to be fixed and cleaned up for almost a year. I finally got around to the job today. The machine isn't the prettiest, and she still needs more cleaning, but she does make beautiful stitches.

This is a Singer 9W which looks similar to a Wheeler & Wilson D9 since Singer bought out the Wheeler and Wilson factory in 1905 and used up the D9 parts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-260013.jpe  
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I had this machine waiting to be fixed and cleaned up for almost a year. I finally got around to the job today. The machine isn't the prettiest, and she still needs more cleaning, but she does make beautiful stitches.

This is a Singer 9W which looks similar to a Wheeler & Wilson D9 since Singer bought out the Wheeler and Wilson factory in 1905 and used up the D9 parts.
She's a beauty.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM

In the "main " today I put a post asking for prayers for
Billy --so please read it and then you will understtand why we suggest you look for his tutorial for cleaning. tia

Originally Posted by jojo47
Originally Posted by Selena
Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Selena, dont give up just yet........... there may be a way to revive this special machine! I only wish I could have my great grandmothers machine,,,, regardless of condition.
Believe me, I'm glad to have it. It just breaks my heart that it looks like a piece of junk. I am soooo angry. I'm not giving up, just grieving for what was. My DH says there people who can restore it. Now to find them.
Selena, send a pm and a pic to Billy (lostn51) on this board. He may be able to give you some insight...I know he has restored machines...has even posted pics, and I believe he has a tutorial on this board showing how to clean vintage machines. Lots of his are treadles!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
In the "main " today I put a post asking for prayers for
Billy --so please read it and then you will understtand why we suggest you look for his tutorial for cleaning. tia
This was moved to another section. Check "personal diaries and announcements".