Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27 67 76 77 78 87 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

Wow that Pfaff looks brand new! You done stole it at that price.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Strange, isn't it? I'm always surprised that someone didn't get to it before I did. Well, maybe I was that someone.

I love Pfaff machines. I have had two 130's with the coffee grinder attachment. They work pretty well but I have found that the coffee grinder makes a lot of very "Tinny" noise when you run the machine. The ones that I have had without the grinder on them were much quieter and seemed smoother when they ran. The noise was pretty distracting to me to be honest.
    There is my two cents on that.
    ~G~

I confirm your two cents and raise you to a nickel!

I've started building my own cases for just that reason. Cabinets take up too much room. If I had the room I'd collect those too though. There's been some very cool designs over the years and some of the lifts on the treadle cabinets are just amazing.

I don't think door skins have quite enough bend in them to get a true bentwood case out of them. I have a little bit here, I might set up a jig and see how far it goes before it gives out.

Bentwood cases are pretty but they have their disadvantages too. Due to the tension on the wood those bends that we admire so much can start cracking over time. I've seen it on a lot of furniture with bent veneer surfaces and my White bentwood case has that problem too. But then 50 years from now I won't be here to see it.
    I think it would be difficult to hit a price point that the market would bear while still making enough money to justify the effort of making the cases.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I'm no woodworker, believe me. But I have several machines in cheap cabinets/tables/desks that I hate to put into those even cheaper plastic carry cases -- but I don't have room for all the cabinets. Seeing a beautiful Pfaff 130 in a white plastic molded case with an integrated handle makes me want to hurl.

The doors when in the 42" X 7' form will all but double in half, BUT a piece sized to make a top will be stiff. in order to bend this is has to be steamed, you can also soak these in water for a few days and then bend them. Now I only know of this one type of skin that I " WAS" able to buy. For years and years a local building supply had reject shins, most had some kind of stain on it. $6 a sheet. I never did anything that I needed to bend any.
    as a kid a friends father thought us how to bend 1x4's in to ski's using boiling water. later in life I did bend 1'8 " plywood using an old school steam cleaner to soak and heat the wood, but was only about a 90 degree bends,

I have found afew of the dome tops (original) cracking at the bend, The worst has been White treadle drawers. but then they have been around 100 years or so. waterfall vanitys most are from the 20's very common for those to crack at the bend.

Something to think about is to make a coffin top, instead of a dome/bentwood top. I've only had one totally apart, now wish I would have made a copy. There 100% straight cuts, a person could do all the cuts using a table saw and router. some stores have per-made applique that you could glue on for a design

I'm going with a shape more like the cloth and paper covered cases of the 50s. Not as pretty as the bent wood cases but better than a plastic bubble. The idea is to protect the machines in an attractive manner.
    Rodney

yes with the matrail cost, your time, no one would buy. I once chased the local hardwood store for veneer to recover a singer treadle top . nobody carried veneer that wide, online I did find the the veneer BUT it would be $ 120 plus shipping for enough to do one singer treadle top, hoping you didn't mess up even one tiny cut.

I've settled on simply ( not ) re gluing all the original wood, forget the break , cracks and splitters, just glue those down. do a sand over to smooth, then flood the wood with lacquer I do mean just pour in out of the can and spread as thich as possible, good lacquer will dry in an hour. rough sand coat again. keep recoating , sand until the surface is smooth. once bone dry fine sand to what ever shine you like. lacquer can be made gloss or taken to a stain finish. it's very hard durable and as smooth as glass. the final finish is to wax that.

the out come is you have a top that fabric slides right over and doesn't snag , you can set your coffee cup on and never leaves a white ring, or toss that screw driver on with no worries of making a dent.

I know every one here talks using shellac , to me it's an evil foo in woodworking. a failure waiting to happen. we won't use water based glues , why use a finish that mosiure or water will turn gray/white.

Thats just me.

I'm long winded, a FYI, when you finishing cabinet with shellac on them, don't sand it off. Get an auto part cleaning brush, cheap plastic tub, like a rubbermaid or ?? a gallon of acetone or lacquer thinner, just wash the wood just as if is a auto part, the shellac with soften and wash of just like it was dirt. most the stains will also. it will not hurt paint or the original gluing. you'll clean a full treadle cabinet in a few hours the applique wood working come clean without damage, often the wood is as new looking as it was way back when. on a warm day this will dry in no time, then do your gluing and sanding ..

toxic fumes maybe, but must less than sanding dust from a 100 years of who know what kind of chemical put on that wood . I have made myself very Ill from sanding off cabinets, for a good 3 days will feel like I'm on drugs. I now know thats from all the chemical cleaners used over the years, like lemon pledge old English furniture polish . we have no idea what this type thing is made of .
    These are just things to think about, like lead paint.

I thought about cloth cover tops also, if you go to furniture upholstery fabric stores. There have very pretty fabrics in old designs.

Most remember the term " carpet baggers" depression era traveling sale men, They even sold sewing machines LOL. my mother was a depression era woman. In her traveling to do her art work she made carpet bags, but using upholstery fabric's

Rodney you giving me idea's now on recovering a probably 40/50's case I have, using fabric I cut from the back of a 10's or 20's couch, it's burnt rose color with a floral design. I may only have enough to do a front and back, so cover the top, sides and base with a darker color and no pattern. try to sew all the seams

or over laps the seams, trim those with a thin oak trim

So far I've only acquired one 1950s case. It's branded New Home and looks to be covered with a combination of an embossed paper and (possibly painted) fabric for a two tone cream and green effect. I think it may have actually been made from Masonite, not actual wood. I'm almost sad that it's in decent condition. A torn up one would reveal more of the construction details I was hoping to find. The inside of the top is covered with more paper.

An attractive cloth or paper covered case is certainly doable but getting that truly vintage look is a challenge.
    Jim mentioned Tolex as a suitable covering. It's usually used for guitar cases and has been around forever. Art supply stores and scrapbooking stores may have suitable papers. Another option may be bookcloth.

I'm working on a case right now for my 1903 Singer model 27. This one is a light colored mystery wood that my brother and dad found years ago on the beach with mahogany doorskin panels on the sides. I think it'll look good but it won't look vintage. The base is mostly done and I'm starting on the top. I'll post pictures when it's done. Future plans, when I get a design finalized will be a tutorial on building an entire case.
    Rodney

I would like to try to make one with wood and leather.

I like the square-shaped portable tops better than the curved bentwood type. When I stacking portables due to lack of space, it’s tough to go over 3-4 domed cases high without having an avalanche.....

CD in Oklahoma

(just kidding)
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    I'm no woodworker, believe me. But I have several machines in cheap cabinets/tables/desks that I hate to put into those even cheaper plastic carry cases -- but I don't have room for all the cabinets. Seeing a beautiful Pfaff 130 in a white plastic molded case with an integrated handle makes me want to hurl.
    I much prefer those molded cases to the cheap hard plastic ones they make today that won't hold a heavy vintage machine. The molded cases are the ones I'll go after at thrift stores and give the machine back to them. The cases hold the weight of the vintage machines and are so easy to clean up. I clean them out in the yard with car wash, a scrub brush and the hose. Or in the bath tub.
    I agree though that the nice black machines just don't look right in these cases.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    I would like to try to make one with wood and leather.
    Now that would look cool. I have a couple older cases that need repaired. They're just covered plywood. I've seen some nice ones that have been re done but I don't really care what they look like on the outside so haven't done anything with mine. I think I'd prefer just stripping them and putting a finish on the wood even if it is just plywood.

Cari

never thought about the different types of paper you could get. yes that would beat fabric's. you me doing visuals on all the old school wall papers that where around. the very heavy textured one with floral and other patterns

The guitar stuff would be the vintage look. The elec white FR's I have had there cases where like a guitar case, but that was a fabric. I'm thinking of torn guitar cases way back those were also a fabric or a fabric type of paper ?

went to a TOGA event this weekend and came home with one less machine and acquired these two AWESOME collections of stuff..

This first box is what looks like kindling...

It is actually the long lost original bonnet/coffin lid for this Wheeler & Wilson #10
    I see repair work in my near future....

The second "pile o junk" is this.... SO COMPLETELY COOL pile of parts for the machine of my dreams! Now I just need to find the rest of the machine.. (Anyone care to guess what machine it is for?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well SteveH, I can find pictures of the machine both in yahoo and pinterest but no name!
    It is very interesting! The pic showed it up on wooden blocks, did it have a case or was it in a base?
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

The machine that those parts went to is a Singer Model 46K1

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...s0-99/46k1.jpg

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

here is the more recent version the Singer 91K5
    http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...s0-99/91k5.jpg

Cool! Singer made machines for everything. What was this one used for?
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Cool! Singer made machines for everything. What was this one used for?
    Rodney
    I know! I know! But I cheated and read the info in the links. Gloves.

Cari

yep, the two main features are the extra skinny post that allows you to sew up to the tip of the ladies gloves and it uses a two thread "doublechain" pique stitch that is actually "stretchable" (similar to the Grover & Baker stitch) so that the gloves will stretch and give without popping seams.

The more modern version lists for 800-1500 used.... Still waiting to see an older one.

My serger is an old one and does a 2 thread safety chain stitch. Instead of removing a needle when I just want to overlock an edge, so I don't have to re thread it later, I use all 4 threads and then pull out the chain stitch. Cheating? Yep. Lazy? Yep.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    The machine that those parts went to is a Singer Model 46K1

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...s0-99/46k1.jpg

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

here is the more recent version the Singer 91K5
    http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...s0-99/91k5.jpg
    Steve, that is a crazy cool machine. Too bad you don't have all of the parts to it. I would love to see one running to see how it works.
    ~G~

I recently was complaining about my sewing machine being in the shop and not being able to work on my quilting and Halloween costume projects and someone in the main board here suggested I pick up an old vintage machine to have as a backup. I thought, hmm, I have 2 vintage machines in my basement that belonged to my great-grandmother that I had planned to get out when my kids are grown and clean up and have as conversation pieces/ unique furniture. I never thought I could use them for some reason. I brought them upstairs and cleaned them up somewhat. I did a lot of work on the 66 and not so much on the 328K so far. The cabinets need a lot of work. I am going to do some research on how to best restore the cabinets. The treadle cabinet has some veneer missing so I have to learn how to fix that. My guess is that the 66 may have been original to the treadle cabinet although I have the receipt for the 66 which shows that my great grandmother traded in a machine and got $5 credit toward the $95 66 purchased in 1933 (made in 1930) so whatever her original machine was may have been in the cabinet originally. The 66 is currently in a smaller cabinet which may have come with the 328k. I will probably switch them back to the original cabinets after I do some work on them. Does anyone know anything about the cabinet that the 66 is in and what era it may be from? I don't know a lot about wood but it looks to me to maybe be mahogany or at least stained to look like mahogany. I know the 7 drawer cabinet that the 328K is in is quite common and was probably made over a long range of years. Here are before pictures of the machines all dusty down in my basement.

and cleaned up a bit

Accessories box that was in a drawer

the 328K needs a new belt which I have on order but the motor spins and all the parts move.

Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ... 27 67 76 77 78 87 ... LastLast