Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 86 of 92 FirstFirst ... 36 76 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2279

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

here is a picture of one I have been working on for my daughter ( I have posted it elsewhere but since this is a picture thread I though it might belong here for reference. the machine is a I think about a 1923 model 128 La Vincedore (sp?) decals and the cabinet is a much more recent... originally housed a 99 machine has been cleaned and polished but the cabinet is in work.
    Name:  IMAG1699.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  1.71 MB
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    here is a picture of one I have been working on for my daughter ( I have posted it elsewhere but since this is a picture thread I though it might belong here for reference. the machine is a I think about a 1923 model 128 La Vincedore (sp?) decals and the cabinet is a much more recent... originally housed a 99 machine has been cleaned and polished but the cabinet is in work.
    Yes it's a 128 La Vencendora.That cabinet looks very short. Is it all there or does it have removable legs?
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

the legs just screw on the bottom not really meant to be removable per se, but it does not fit in the jeep other wise.... was sanding and oiling them separately, they are nothing special just turned round legs. makes me think about 1950's or later on the cabinet. I worded that last post poorly. I new it was a 128, just can not remember the date... looked it up once thought "cool" to myself and promptly forgot.
    Name:  IMAG1702.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  1.36 MB
    Last edited by greywuuf; 05-21-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    " one should endeavor to keep ones straight pins from the floor whilst treadling barefoot" .... me 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
    Seriously ? "the trouble with tibbles"?
    Makes me wonder how widespread and common that catch phrase was. one of the episodes of "Star Trek" ( the original television series ) was titled "The trouble with TRIBBLES" One wonders if it was coincidental or if it was a play on something the writers parents may ave said .... or if it was maybe even a common colloquialism at one point.
    Not serious. Just a Star Trek joke.

Quote Originally Posted by NapaJohn View Post
    Not serious. Just a Star Trek joke.
    AHAH and I just got the next comment about the law firm of "James and Leonard"

My daughter just got a 127 Sphinx and I serviced it while in Illinois. A delightful machine. Works great, needed a little grease and oil It has side clamp attachments and 15 X1 needles, just like a modern machine. I put a new belt on her treadle and it works fine. I don''t care for shuttle machines, but this one is fine so far. That is the only archaic thing about it..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
    My daughter just got a 127 Sphinx and I serviced it while in Illinois. A delightful machine. Works great, needed a little grease and oil It has side clamp attachments and 15 X1 needles, just like a modern machine. I put a new belt on her treadle and it works fine. I don''t care for shuttle machines, but this one is fine so far. That is the only archaic thing about it..
    I never used to like the long bobbin machines either but the more I use one the better I like them - give it a chance.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
    That is the only archaic thing about it..
    Nothin' wrong with archaic...

The shuttle machines only do one thing .. sew a nice stitch and only forward, but they do that OH SO WELL. Mine ( a 27 and several 128's) even handle really heavy thread better than my newer machines. I have gotten to where I almost prefer my long bobbin ladies to some of the newer stuff I have. just be sure not to try to go backwards with the treadle....they really hate that.

Blog Entries
    I do find the thread size can be a limiting factor on the long bobbin. If the thread is too heavy it won't go through the needle hole.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries

is mine the same ?

I think I have one like yours, maybe......at least the base is the same..........lets see if I can get a photo on here....

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    You can read the progression from VS1 on Wikipedia (can you believe there's a page devoted to this??), but sit down first

Cathy, your VS1 really does sound exciting: I've never even seen one.

Found a picture http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media, and another
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    I think I have one like yours, maybe......at least the base is the same..........lets see if I can get a photo on here....
    That's a model 12 with transverse shuttle. VS shuttles go front to back.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    thanks - I haven't tried sewing with it yet, but I just got it a new belt......and the copy of the manual, so I should be able to go, I think.........this was given to me by a friend in CT who found it at a sale for $25.00..........a very nice cabinet too.............

thanks - I haven't tried sewing with it yet, but I just got it a new belt......and the copy of the manual, so I should be able to go, I think.........this was given to me by a friend in CT who found it at a sale for $25.00..........a very nice cabinet too.............
    You might have trouble finding needles for it. They take 12x1 which haven't been made for a while.

4dogs I really like the transverse machines, you are lucky.
    HelenAnn

Blog Entries
    I hate to sound totally dumb here, but what is different that makes it "transverse"? I don't have any idea what that means, really..............I did find some needles on line that "say" they are the 12x1 ....guess I will find that out, whenever I can get it going........it is pretty and its a really nice cabinet too..............
    .I have a foot pedal that is from 1904 and I have had fun sewing on it.......it there something different between a tredle (sp??) and a shuttle machine or is that just another name for the pedal ones?.i have a lot to learn....I have the bullet bobbins on that one from 1904 and the one from 1919...wish the sidewinder bobbin winder would work for those too...........

I hate to sound totally dumb here, but what is different that makes it "transverse"? I don't have any idea what that means, really..............I did find some needles on line that "say" they are the 12x1 ....guess I will find that out, whenever I can get it going........it is pretty and its a really nice cabinet too..............
    .I have a foot pedal that is from 1904 and I have had fun sewing on it.......it there something different between a tredle (sp??) and a shuttle machine or is that just another name for the pedal ones?.i have a lot to learn....I have the bullet bobbins on that one from 1904 and the one from 1919...wish the sidewinder bobbin winder would work for those too...........
    Transverse is where the shuttle moves left - right, VS machines are front - back. 12x1 is the needle type, small round shank needles (no flat).

Treadle is what you think of as a pedal and is how the machine is powered. Shuttle refers to the bobbin carrier, nothing to do with the method of powering the machine.

You really need Google: Ask it anything like this and you'll have a library within seconds.

"Bullet Bobbins" are shuttle's...... the Bullet is the shuttle, te long round thing the thread winds around is the bobbin,
    VS is and abbreviation of "Vibrating Shuttle" the "standard" VS machine swings the shuttle front to back ( front being where you sit, back being the side towards wall .... Transverse machine the Shuttle goes left to right ( end where the hand wheel is being right, and end where the needle is being left )

Found this in a local antique shop. I won't be buying it unless the price comes down a bit. The machine has the same name as my large munsterlander Freyja.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    I love looking at everyones sewing machines. They are all so gorgeous. We are pretty lucky to be able to own more than one of these beauties. I sometimes wonder how a woman, back then, when these were new, could only choose one machine because they were all so pretty.

Here are a few of mine. These are the machines that are close by so that I could take pics of them.

This is a Singer 128~serial # 10886656~date-1892. This uses a vibrating shuttle rather for a bobbin. I am in the process of cleaning it so some of the pieces are off of it, right now. I bought this machine in a local thrift shop. I don't know what the decals are called but they sure are pretty.
    Attachment 212695

This is my little white FW-221. It arrived yesterday with it's spool pin snapped off :-(, but it came with the cutest little oil can! . I don't know the year it was manufactured but it was probably mid 1960's.
    Attachment 212696

This is a Singer model 66 with the 'Red Eye' or 'Red Head' decals. Serial # G6969592~manufactured in 1919. I have several red eyes and it was my first vintage machine and started the ball rolling for me!
    Attachment 212697
    You can find out about the decals on ismac.net. If you type in the digits in the second or third column (can't quite remember off the top of my head) into the search engine on the actual site (maybe even in Google) it comes up with a comprehensive list of the various decals and the dates they were used. I'm a complete newbie but finding out this kind of stuff fascinates me. Excuse me if the info is already in the thread. I'm just ploughing my way through it.

Sheilz, Your Singer 128, White FW and your Singer 66 Red Eye are absolutely beautiful. As far as the spool pin is concerned, Sew Classic has them for an inexpensive price, available online at sew_classic.com! I think you'd be able to get them very reasonable (about $ .65 each) plus shipping, etc. That's a good price! They're tap-in! The decals on your 128 and 66 are absolutely pristine! Wonderful!

Jeanette

wow. what a transformation.......did you repaint those decals????
    Beautiful, I just keep thinking to myself, how do they do that?
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Here is the machine I just brought home last night for $50. It is in pristine condition, oiled, lubed and ready to sew. And, not a scratch on it. I am tickled pink! It is a Kenmore 158-10301 manufactured in 1970-1971. I love it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

That's cool! ...and I don't even collect electric ones!!!

Very nice and a good price as well!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Page 86 of 92 FirstFirst ... 36 76 85 86 87 ... LastLast