Vintage Wizard sewing machine

Old 01-24-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Vintage Wizard sewing machine

Hi guys, I have just been given a vintage Wizard sewing machine but I can't find any information on it any help you can give would be appreciated. As you see from the photos it is a hand cranked sewing machine. The only identifying markings are the serial number also in a photo.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ian
Old 01-24-2021, 12:25 PM

Welcome to the Board. I'm afraid the pictures didn't show up, at least not for me. One of the other members, Janey, has written up the following instructions for pictures, and hopefully she doesn't mind my copying them here:

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=Rubio;8455195]Hi guys, I have just been given a vintage Wizard sewing machine but I can't find any information on it any help you can give would be appreciated. As you see from the photos it is a hand cranked sewing machine. The only identifying markings are the serial number also in a photo.
Thanks in advance
IanThnks for the pointers for uploading photos I hope you can see them now.
Attached Thumbnails img_20210124_185804.jpg   img_20210124_185831.jpg   img_20210124_185841.jpg   img_20210124_185918.jpg   img_20210124_190051.jpg  

Old 01-24-2021, 02:33 PM

That's a great looking machine! You have a vibrating shuttle machine. Under the two long slide plates you will find a mechanism holding a shuttle, as pictured here in the first post, the 3rd and 4th pictures:

Need help identifying machine and parts

and when you turn the crank the mechanism will move back and forth under the needle.

The shuttle holds the spindle type bobbin. Hopefully it came with the shuttle, and bobbins. Correct shuttles can be difficult to find, bobbins are a little easier. the other piece of the puzzle will be figuring out what size needle it takes.

I'm not very adept at identifying who manufactured which machines, but yours was likely manufactured by a company other than Wizard but labeled/badged Wizard.

Here's one that looks remarkably similar to yours, but with a different label/badge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_mmDGBvCLI
Old 01-24-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
That's a great looking machine! You have a vibrating shuttle machine. Under the two long slide plates you will find a mechanism holding a shuttle, as pictured here in the first post, the 3rd and 4th pictures:

Need help identifying machine and parts

and when you turn the crank the mechanism will move back and forth under the needle.

The shuttle holds the spindle type bobbin. Hopefully it came with the shuttle, and bobbins. Correct shuttles can be difficult to find, bobbins are a little easier. the other piece of the puzzle will be figuring out what size needle it takes.

I'm not very adept at identifying who manufactured which machines, but yours was likely manufactured by a company other than Wizard but labeled/badged Wizard.

Here's one that looks remarkably similar to yours, but with a different label/badge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_mmDGBvCLI
Hi, thank you for that information, it was really useful. I do have the shuttle and several bobbins plus some needles and other attachments. Do you have any idea of the age of the machine?
I will have a play with the machine and let you know how I get on.
Ian
Old 01-24-2021, 04:02 PM

Thank you, Joe, for posting instructions for posting pictures. I'm glad you did. And finding the video for a similar machine.

Welcome, Ian. Neat machine. In the early days, sewing machine companies would make machines and have other names put on the machines. Singer was the only company that would not allow other names stenciled or badged if they made them. However, there were many companies that copied Singer machines or other machines. Lots of law suits in the early days.

Something I noticed was the space between the slide plates and the left end of the bed. It appears that Frister & Rossmann made a Model E - possibly narrower and wider spaces.

According to https://www.fiddlebase.com/dating-frister-rossmann-1/ it would date as 1888, but I thought that during that time it was only transverse shuttle machines. http://needlebar.org/main/survresult...ann/index.html only shows the transverse shuttles.

According to https://singularone.blogspot.com/201...nx-my-new.html it may be from the 1920s.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 01-24-2021, 04:06 PM

I can't help you with your quest, but wanted to say that's a great looking machine.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the photos and congratulation's on the machine. I am thinking it looks very German ( like the F and R)

The exposed gearing on the hand cranks and some other things makes be guess it may be 1890s-1000 My F and R is older with a transverse shuttle.
Attached Thumbnails german-handcrank-frister-rossmann-b.jpg  
Old 01-25-2021, 08:14 AM

Welcome to the QB Rubio from SE Michigan! I see you got the pictures down to a science quickly congratulations. Now onto your machine. It is a very pretty machines and in some ways reminds me of some of the older White Machines. There are so many well versed Vintage and Antique Enthusiast here that I am sure someone will have a way to go for you on this one. Again Welcome to the QB!