Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Well Traveled Treadle

Well Traveled Treadle

I hope you get a chuckle out of this. I can’t help but see the humor in some things that happen in our high-tech world of efficiency today.

As you may have noticed in my previous postings, I have mentioned what I call “Traveling Treadles”, as in my MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle) and my MUTTIN (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle INdustrial) which I’m referring to the “traveling” portion of the name as being something that can travel with me easily. Well, I may be getting a different traveling treadle, as in, “Well Traveled Treadle”.

The 1901 Singer 27K2 treadle stand that I recently got has a broken treadle on it. The foot plate that runs the pitman is broken. I spotted a replacement on eBay and bought it from a fellow in Wisconsin on December 24th, and had it shipped to a business address in Frederick Oklahoma. Knowing that the Holiday Season is a bad time to have machine parts shipped, I figured it would take a while to arrive. Well, here it is January 4th, and while it’s still not here yet, it’s been trying. Here is where it’s been thus far:

Tendered at FedEx location - Dec-26-13, 08:30 PST, APPLETON, WI 54914
    Picked up - Dec-26-13, 16:21 PST, OSHKOSH, WI 54901
    Arrived at FedEx location - Dec-26-13, 17:13 PST, OSHKOSH, WI 54901
    Left FedEx origin facility - Dec-26-13, 18:48 PST, OSHKOSH, WI 54901
    Arrived at FedEx location - Dec-26-13, 22:47 PST, CHICAGO, IL 60638
    Departed FedEx location - Dec-27-13, 01:52 PST, CHICAGO, IL 60638
    Arrived at FedEx location - Dec-27-13, 04:31 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WI 53151
    Departed FedEx location - Dec-28-13, 04:06 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WI 53151
    Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service - Jan-01-14, 22:00 PST 73542
    Arrived at FedEx location - Jan-02-14, 11:49 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST DALLAS, TX 75211
    Departed FedEx location - Jan-02-14, 13:26 PST, FEDEX SMARTPOST DALLAS, TX 75211
    Arrived at FedEx location - Jan-02-14, 16:46 PST, HUTCHINS, TX 75141-0000
    Departed FedEx location - Jan-02-14, 20:54 PST, HUTCHINS, TX 75141-0000
    Arrived at FedEx location - Jan-03-14, 04:21 PST, WICHITA FALLS, TX 76306-0000
    Departed FedEx location - Jan-03-14, 04:25 PST, WICHITA FALLS, TX 76306-0000
    In transit - Jan-03-14, 07:04 PST, FREDERICK, OK 73542
    Arrived at FedEx location - Jan-03-14, 19:47 PST, HUTCHINS, TX 75141-0000

I figure that the U-turn in Chicago may have been due to weather. (or maybe not?)
    Where was it those 5 days between New Berlin and Dallas, and why was the USPS notified?
    Hutchins Texas is just south of Dallas Texas.
    Wichita Falls Texas is just SE of Frederick Oklahoma.
    It was in transit in my small town of Frederick, OK yesterday.
    The receiving business (our shop) was open, and one of us was there from 0845 until 1715 (5:15 PM).
    Twelve hours later, it was back down south of Dallas, 210 miles away.

I wonder if it has to go make another U-turn in Chicago before I get it? LOL

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Hopefully it doesn't have a passport or who knows where it would go! If I was a frozen piece of metal I'd sneak onto a plane bound for warmer climes.

mmmmmmmmm. Smartpost. My least favorite shipping method ever. As long as it's in motion it should get to you eventually.
    How's February look for you?
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Holly cow, poor thing!!!!

Blog Entries
    Maybe it just likes to travel.

If it’s like my broken one, it came from Brittan. I hope it doesn’t decide to go visit relatives on this traveling extravaganza that it’s on.....

It’s got work that needs to be done. No time for frittering around the countryside....LOL

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

That's at least explains part of why Fed Ex is so expensive. That looks like a lot of extra miles that they could have been hauling something else instead.
    Rodney

Update on the “Well Traveled Treadle”:

We don’t have our little shop open on most Saturdays, and we were gone all day (to Wichita Falls, TX ironically), but our little treadle peddle was peddling its way back toward our place, or at least, that’s what the tracker says.

Here’s its continued travels:

Departed FedEx location - Jan-04-14, 01:38 PST, HUTCHINS, TX 75141-0000
    Arrived at local Post Office - Allow one to two additional days for delivery - Jan-04-14, 04:54 PST, FREDERICK, OK 73542
    Arrived at FedEx location - Jan-04-14, 05:38 PST, WICHITA FALLS, TX 76306-0000
    Departed FedEx location - Jan-04-14, 05:42 PST, WICHITA FALLS, TX 76306-0000
    Package delivered by U.S. Postal Service to addressee - Jan-04-14, 06:16 PST, FREDERICK, OK 73542

It’s probably a good thing that it was handed off to the USPS.

But, can someone ‘splain to me how it got to the Local Post Office before it went through the Wichita Falls location? Wichita Falls is between here and Hutchins Texas. About 60 miles away. Did it come here to the Post Office, then go back to the Wichita Falls FedEx location, and then come back here to the Post Office? About 110 miles in about an hour and 10 minutes, including two scans at WF and a delivery of 2 blocks with scan? And to think that my wife and I were on that road where all of this was happening today!

We have Saturday delivery here, but after 8 years, they know that the shop isn’t open on most Saturdays, so the carrier holds it until Monday. The treadle is not here at the house (small town, everybody knows everybody and where they live), so we still don’t actually have it. We’ll have to wait until Monday to see if it’s actually even here in town.

The Seller will look at the tracking (I gave him and eBay a heads-up about the problem, so they’re watching it) and figure that I’ve got the item, no matter what I say.

And....I think that.....on the count of something....we should all synchronize our clocks.........LOL

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Well, the very least you could have done is to show us a pic of this oh-so-very-well-travelled-machine-part. lol
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Photo? You're missing the point. I don't have it to photograph it yet.....

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

I’ll try to get a photo of the Delivery Truck going by my house with it the next time, if that would help any. LOL

CD in Oklahoma
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Blog Entries
    Doesn't surprise me.

These days I believe it is FedEx that is using a second party delivery along with the US Postal Service to lower the costs of shipping for those that wish a lower rate. My son once ordered an item that took over a month all due to those additional stops. I think it was a shirt that could have been sent second day mail. And every item that my husband has ordered that has traveled this means of delivery stalls at the point it hits the US Postal Service. The tracking states the item is at the USPS; this stall has even taken weeks. And USPS states that they don't have the item.

FedEx and UPS shouldn't use a second carrier or USPS since the item always takes longer to get delivered.

Small world. I think I saw that treadle you are speaking of on Ebay; it was a White cabinet, yes? I had messaged the seller if she would be interested in parting out the desk because I am in need of a White cabinet lid (mine snapped in two recently) and she replied saying someone was interested in the iron base so if they didn't purchase the entire thing she would contact me. She must have been referring to you.

Blog Entries
    Crazy isn't it! I had a package go from MI to PA then back to Ohio where I live.... the package had to pass my town to get to PA!!! I love to check out the tracking it so often makes me giggle!

Last year, I shipped a package by USPS to my cousin in Cleo Springs, OK. I shipped it on 12/4/12. She didn't get it until mid-January 2013. What happened is, the postal clerk who accepted the package here in Florida, transposed numbers on the zip code. The package was sent ti Hiawasse, AR, first. Somewhere along the way, the box was torn open and a sweater and a pair of hand-knitted booties (for women) were removed from the package. Go figure!

Shipping is a "crap shoot" these days!

Jeanette Frantz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post

Shipping is a "crap shoot" these days!

Jeanette Frantz
    As in, "Oh, crap!" and "Oh, shoot!", where's that package...? ;-)
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

UPDATE - Well Traveled Treadle

My Well Traveled Treadle finally arrived safely in my hands.

YEA!!!!!!

Now I can get to work installing it in place of the broken treadle on my 1901 Singer 27K2. I hope that it enjoyed itself tooling around the country, because that was probably one of those “once in a lifetime” trips......It did pick up some interesting vacation stickers on its box along the way.......Here's a photo of the little traveler.

Sidenote: The parcel was shipped through the USPS, according to the label on the box. That might explain the tracking entry:
    > Shipment information sent to U.S. Postal Service - Jan-01-14, 22:00 PST 73542
    by FedEx.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ThayerRags Fabric Center

Did it come today?????

That is one well traveled package! Just incredible its journey. I recently ordered form an on line shop... they gave me a US post tracking.. US post office tracking kept saying they had no such number in the system... for 7 days.. On the 8th day it was delivered by ... the US Post office!