Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes >

What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes

What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes

Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 AM

Default What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes

I was wondering what one would use to hold manuals together. I have some manuals that the cover is there, but split apart. I have some that the pages are torn, but all there. And some really fragile pages from the early 1900s. I also have some manuals and boxes that were repaired long ago that have discolored or still fallen apart.

What do you use to prevent further damage and keep things together??

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:16 AM

I don't have the original manual for my machine. I'll probably order one from ebay so it's "complete". But I'll store it in an archival sleeve just for keepsake. I'm not sure if they take any steps to preserve books and things, but I know they wear gloves any time they touch the pages to prevent the acids from their fingers from getting on the pages and are very careful with turning pages.

I've got a download of the manual and adjuster's manual printed out and bound for use.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 AM

I scan them and put the original in a plastic sleeve in a large binder. Then I used a copy for general reference.

Eventually the scans will be available for download at VSS. The owner of that site believes downloads should be free (if not copyright protected) and I agree.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Cathy, I do the same. Most of my manuals are not "originals" in that I downloaded them from the ISMACS.net site, but even the printed copies I have inside sheet protectors (acid free sheet protectors) and have them in a large "D-Ring" Loose Leaf binder, in order by the model numbers. That's as far as "organization" has taken me so far! It works, though, you can't miss that big green binder!

Jeanette
Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I scan them and put the original in a plastic sleeve in a large binder. Then I used a copy for general reference.

Eventually the scans will be available for download at VSS. The owner of that site believes downloads should be free (if not copyright protected) and I agree.

Me too. I keep folders on all of my machines and anything original that came with them such as manuals, receipts or any provenance stories told to me or paperwork or photos. Hey, I watch Antiques Road Show...LOL
Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Supper Glue. I have used it on paper and cardboard boxes for attachments and it works great. you must be very careful to use a very small amount and don't, by all means, get it on your fingers. use some blocks to help hold the corners tight for a short time and it should hold.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM

For my Damascus the book was falling apart, so I carefully took it apart and put it in the clear sleeves then put them in notebook. That way I can still use it.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM

I tried gluing the cracks in a plastic carrying case with plastic cement, the solvent-based kind that melts the plastic so it runs together and dries adhered to itself. The join still won't bear weight but at least it isn't gaping open any more.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I have the original manual for my 401 (ok not vintage but older) in a sleeve. I just taped it with shipping/mailing tape. One of the pages was ripped but it was there. The demo pic was good but not the demo pic from the download. The directions were not good for the torn demo page but I just download that page and printed it. It was actually 2 pages so I stapled it then taped it. The manual for the Singer 2662 is intact and also in a sleeve in a binder.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM

You could look for bookbinder's tape. You can look for it online. I have some and use it to repair library books that I have borrowed and they are torn or the binding's broken. The tape has a protective layer that is cut into 3 sections so you can place one section of the tape on the page and not have it adhere to the other page until you are ready. Here is one: Scotch Book Tape, 2 x 540 Inch (845-R). I found it on Amazon, but Staples had some.