Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What is this hook for that is inside a vintage Singer sewing machine cabinet? >

What is this hook for that is inside a vintage Singer sewing machine cabinet?

What is this hook for that is inside a vintage Singer sewing machine cabinet?

Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Default What is this hook for that is inside a vintage Singer sewing machine cabinet?

Here is a picture of the right inside panel on a vintage Singer sewing machine cabinet that has the knee activated foot control.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456012[/ATTACH]

My questions is, does anyone know what that hook in the middle of the panel is for?

I can imagine someone might loop the electric plug cord on this but Singer recommends that the three prong plug and the electric outlet end both be disconnected and then that cord should be wrapped around the machine head prior to lowering the head into the cabinet.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails what-hook-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 AM

I believe that hook is to hold the excess cord for the foot pedal - IF it was installed so it could be used either knee or floor style. Yours is wired up short - but I've got a few that were wired up long. In that case, you can unclip the foot pedal and place it on the floor and use it that way.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:23 AM

I agree with Cathy. I have several with the controller cord wrapped around the hook / hanger.

Joe
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Oh, that makes sense! Thank you so much for the answer.

I like using the knee control so I wouldn't put that button style foot control on the floor unless I was using the machine outside of its cabinet. E.g.: a 301 taken out of its cabinet to take to a class.

However, my knee controls are for a 201 and a 15-91 and I don't lug those out of the house unless they need repairs.

Thanks again Cathy and Joe.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 AM

I agree with Cathy and Joe. My grandmother's Singer 403 came to me set up with the extra cord wound around a hook. But, the machine also came with another foot control. Grandmother sewed a LOT so she might have bought a second foot control. Why I cannot fathom. I know you can use either/or on the machine but I need to look again and figure out whether you can plug both of the controls in so either one can function.

The above is about as clear as mud. What I mean is can both controls be functional on the machine at the same time without doing all the reconfiguring business to switch from foot pedal that runs the knee control to foot pedal that sits on the floor and is operated with the foot? There, that is a little better.

Just curious.

Pat