Where do you put your tools?

Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Where do you put your tools?

Talking on the 1/4" seam guide thread got me to thinking about this.
Where do you keep your essential tools like scissors, snips, pins and whatnot while you're sewing so they're in easy reach.
I don't have a good solution yet. Most of my stuff ends up sitting either in front of the sewing machine's arm or to the right but I find myself constantly bumping things off the edge and am not happy with the arrangement. I use the tools frequently enough I don't want to put them away either though.
What are your solutions?
Rodney
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM

All over the place! I have several sewing tables so I have duplicates in diff tables. The things I use most are just to the sides of the machine I am using. I also have a groomers caddy that stands about 3 feet tall with plastic slideout bins and it's on wheels. I keep that handy too!

My biggest confusion is small screwdrivers and wrenches get misplaced between thegarage and the inside machines!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 AM

The stuff I use all the time is in a plastic box with a latch on lid. It goes from machine to machine with me. Nippers, thread guides, widgets, and other necessities are always kept there.

Joe
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 AM

I use a microwave bacon tray with ridges to hold my needed quilting notions that I am using at the moment. It keeps everything in its place and yet handy to grab. I keep it to the right of my sewing machine and things no longer end up under the machine or on the floor.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 AM

I won a fishing [plastic] caddy at a Christmas exchange. It has a top tray with many little spaces in it. I carry that full thing everywhere. Oh, I do try to keep things like little scissors, needles, that sort at every machine I use.

Last edited by barny; 07-20-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 AM
Power Poster

small tool go in an eyeglasses case
Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 AM

I have a plastic container that is velcroed to my sewing table. It sits to the right of my machine which makes it very handy to pull out whatever tool I need.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 AM

I have several magnetic trays from Harbor Freight (or somewhere?) that my DH gave me that I keep to the right of my sewing machine. One of the trays is big, so even a large pair of scissors and other items fit nicely in it.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 AM

I keep my tools in a silverware caddy just below and to the right of my sewing machine. I can reach everything and see it as well.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 AM

I have a small, shallow oval wicker basket that sits at the right side of my machine. It hold my 6" ruler, seam ripper, awl, small scissors, and a pin cushion. Everything I use while sewing is contained but totally handy. I carry it to the sofa or out to the patio when doing handwork. Because I do take it away from the machine at times, I have a small open plastic box in the basket for a thread catcher.

I like the basket because it keeps everything handy but nothing falls on the floor or gets pushed out of the way, and it's easy to pick up and carry to another spot when needed. I have a similar arrangement for taking to classes or in the car, but it's a plastic box with a lid that I an close.

FREE Quilting Newsletter