Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White Dressmaster foot question >

White Dressmaster foot question

White Dressmaster foot question

Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Default White Dressmaster foot question

I have acquired a White Dressmaster Rotary machine. Unfortunatly it came with out a presser foot.

Does anyone here have one of these machines they can take a pic of the presser foot for me, and measure the distance between the top clamp and bottom of the foot, and between the bottom of the foot and needle plate with the foot in the up position.

Unlike a lot of the top clamp machines this one does not have an off set to the needle, so the other top clamp feet I have do not work.

More on this machine later.

Oh, her name is Louise and here's a pic of her.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails wht-dressmaster-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Joe, is this the round clamp like the old 66s? I can't make out the picture clearly. I won't comment on 'another' machine as I've bought two this week. My White Rotary has the round clamp like my Redeye, but it's older than your machine.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM

The old 66s used a back clamp foot where the screw entered the shaft from the rear.

The White machine that I am talking about uses what I've read described as the top clamp. The foot has a two pronged fork that slides onto a shaft under a big knurled nut that is screwed down tight to hold it.
Here is a pic of mine with a close up of the top clamp foot. The foot that's on it is an unidentified hinged foot we got from our LSMG. It works but there is little clearance under it.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails emphasis-top-clamp.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 PM

Here are some dark pictures. That corner of the LR isn't well lit. Sorry about the delay. I had to take dinner to an ill friend and walk the dogs before the nightly fireworks started. My big dog is a fearful dog in some ways.
I hope this the right machine. And, yes, it has a big T shaped slide plate, but I've managed to misplace it already - the machine only joined my crew yesterday. I can slide a yardstick under all the other presser feet of available machines. Not this one.
Measurements: 1 inch to the TOP of the big nut from the plate. 1/4" minus the depth of the presser foot for the other measurement. It's a relatively thick presser foot, so the clearance is less than 3/16". Hard to measure accurately. BTW, how do you like that electrical connector in the background? I'll be asking you questions before I plug this one in.
Judy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345749[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]345752[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]345750[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails presser-foot-reflection.jpg   presser-foot-alone.jpg   presser-foot-2-pic.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Re the pics just shown --I have some of those back clamping feet that don't fit my machines. Intended to sell them at a later date after I get all pcs sorted and named that I need for mine. Packed in a bag all together at least.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Judy,

Thanks for the pics. Only 3/16" clearance between the presser foot and needle plate. That's not much. But that's just about what my Dressmaster has. So perhaps that's what it's supposed to have.

Take care of those old connectors. I've been looking for a set similar to that one without success. I don't know of any sources for them other than blind luck.

Joe
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 PM

The feet for my White 77 Rotary are almost exactly 7/16" high from the bottom of the foot to the top of the prongs. But measuring several of the feet, that can vary from a little over 3/8" to 1/2". And those are the original attachments. I know it's a different model but I'm pretty sure that the style of the feet are alike 'cause I have a straight stitch foot from a MUCH older White (before they made hinged feet) & the hinged foot that's original to my 77...& they fit the same.

Domestic & Kenmore rotary feet will also fit but most other ones won't & it's not the height. It's the needle position. If you notice, the straight stitch foot you're using, the needle is about 1/8" in front of the back of the slot. With a White foot, the needle is about 1/32" from the back. That's OK with your straight stitch foot but when it's a hemmer, ruffler. etc, the needle misses the hole by about 1/8"!

If you're looking online, the White, Kenmore, Domestic feet are pretty easy to recognize. The prongs/toes are usually longer than other types.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 AM

Pat,

Thanks for the info. The foot that's on my Dressmaster came from the goody box of my LSMG. No idea what is was supposed to fit. If I remember right I used it briefly on one of my other top clamp machines, don't remember which though. So it was an extra in my box that happened to fit, so I'm using it.

I have quite a few top clamp feet and attachments that have a bigger offset with thicker prongs that won't fit into grove of the presser bar and they won't line up with the needle hole side to side or front to back. They'll fit something and no doubt I'll end up with one someday.

I've got a Kenmore with a set of attachments, so I'll give them a try later today.

Joe
Old 07-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Pat,

Thanks for the info. The foot that's on my Dressmaster came from the goody box of my LSMG. No idea what is was supposed to fit. If I remember right I used it briefly on one of my other top clamp machines, don't remember which though. So it was an extra in my box that happened to fit, so I'm using it.

I have quite a few top clamp feet and attachments that have a bigger offset with thicker prongs that won't fit into grove of the presser bar and they won't line up with the needle hole side to side or front to back. They'll fit something and no doubt I'll end up with one someday.

I've got a Kenmore with a set of attachments, so I'll give them a try later today.

Joe
The foot that's on your machine looks like the foot that's on my MW Rotary. Anyway, I bet the Kenmore feet will fit. The top clamp Kenmores were made by White, I believe.