Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: WOW how weird and how lucky!

  1. #1
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035

    Exclamation WOW how weird and how lucky!

    Just last month my lovely old reliable Frister Rossman B Cub 3 -4 gave up on me, corrosion in the bobbin holder and nothing could be done. So it was put to rest but as I give Patchwork lessons and have to handle a large variety of sewing machines I always keep what could come in useful.

    On this occasion I kept the Foot controller, 40 replacement cost, the little tools holder and various feet, oh and of course the bulb. On looking through EBay for a replacement machine I came across this
    "Frister Rossman cub 4 sewing machine.
    Comes with it's carry/storage case.
    It's missing the foot pedal and also the storage box which slides into the base of the machine.
    It is in a clean well cared for condition but I cannot test it due to not having the pedal/lead so sold as seen."

    Naturally I bought it, total cost less than 25, and am awauting delivery, how many of you have had such an incredible coincidence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QultingaddictUK; 07-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member VickyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    548
    I hope it works out well for you! Do you still have the old machine? Sometimes folks will scavenge the local dump and sell items as is. You wouldn't want to buy back your old machine because someone scavenged it.....

    Show us your new machine when you get it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member coloradosky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    798
    Do keep us posted when your new baby arrives.

  4. #4
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
    I hope it works out well for you! Do you still have the old machine? Sometimes folks will scavenge the local dump and sell items as is. You wouldn't want to buy back your old machine because someone scavenged it.....

    Show us your new machine when you get it.
    The new one is a one up model from my old one, yes I did take it to the dump, now that would be weird if I had bought my old machine back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    My thinking is that at 25 it is worth the gamble as they are lovely old workhorses that just seem to go on forever.

  5. #5
    Super Member Latrinka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    6,946
    Wow, what luck!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

  6. #6
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,353
    Blog Entries
    2
    I hope it's a love match!
    Stephanie in Mena

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Any place I can sew
    Posts
    434
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
    Just last month my lovely old reliable Frister Rossman B Cub 3 -4 gave up on me, corrosion in the bobbin holder and nothing could be done. So it was put to rest but as I give Patchwork lessons and have to handle a large variety of sewing machines I always keep what could come in useful.

    On this occasion I kept the Foot controller, 40 replacement cost, the little tools holder and various feet, oh and of course the bulb. On looking through EBay for a replacement machine I came across this
    "Frister Rossman cub 4 sewing machine.
    Comes with it's carry/storage case.
    It's missing the foot pedal and also the storage box which slides into the base of the machine.
    It is in a clean well cared for condition but I cannot test it due to not having the pedal/lead so sold as seen."

    Naturally I bought it, total cost less than 25, and am awauting delivery, how many of you have had such an incredible coincidence.
    It was just waiting for you!!! Happy sewing.

  8. #8
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    I got the little machine this morning and it had been so unloved, clots of fluff fell out as did the remains of a blown bulb also a pin! Gave it a clean, oil and plugged in. It started on its own! but did a beautiful straight stitch BUT now even when the plug socked and machine is switched off it runs at full pelt, the only way I can stop it is to physically unplug it.

    Has this happened to anyone and would it be the machine or the foot control?

    Any ideas would be so appreciated.

  9. #9
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Sounds like a wiring problem with your new machine assuming your old foot controller was good. Best to have an electrically inclined person check out the wiring plus you have the old machine for comparison or parts. Probably something pretty simple.

    Jon

  10. #10
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    I have a wonderful person on the Island, Sam the Sewing Machine Man, he specialises in old and vintage machines so I am popping it into him to look at, don't laugh he thinks it is the Foot control

  11. #11
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,735
    Does the foot controller work properly with your old F&R?

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    20,391
    Hope it works out well for you. An old favorite machine is like a well-loved pet.

  13. #13
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Does the foot controller work properly with your old F&R?
    It did before the machine got too tired out to work!

  14. #14
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    The machine is now in the hands of Sam my sewing machine man he doesn't think there is much wrong with it, if anyone can fix it he can.

  15. #15
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    This machine was destined to be mine, I am picking it up this afternoon, a couple of condensers had blown in the foot pedal so Sam has fixed it FOC.

    I have been searching for days for a Sigzag sewing plate insert and just a few minutes ago I found one on this very useful site http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/index.html The complete Sewing plate with both plates and screws just a tenner, as I have said all the way along this machine is destined for me so I am going to call it "Lucky Me"

  16. #16
    Senior Member Skyangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    807
    What a delightful little machine! Here in the US we find them as Kenmore 158.10xx. They are 3/4 size, japanese made in the 70s by Jaguar/Maruzen. I had a 1040, which I sold to my former boss for her daughter in 4H sewing. Recently, I scored a 1050 on craigslist, which a friend wants me to sell her for a travel machine. Congrats on replacing your old friend!
    Kim
    So many hobbies ... So little time
    private pilot, quilter, vintage sewing machine addict, silversmith, lapidary

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    911
    sky,, were those called a travel mate ?

    rat holed in my barn is a machine in a white plastic case, I do remember it being an amercain brand it's as heavy as a full size machine, but I'd say half the size. standard 70's white color.

    It's something travel mate. it would take a week to dig it out and put the other things back in place. I'm sure it's at the bottom of the pile

  18. #18
    Senior Member Skyangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
    sky,, were those called a travel mate ?

    rat holed in my barn is a machine in a white plastic case, I do remember it being an amercain brand it's as heavy as a full size machine, but I'd say half the size. standard 70's white color.

    It's something travel mate. it would take a week to dig it out and put the other things back in place. I'm sure it's at the bottom of the pile
    The Kenmore 10xx series were in a off white clamshell case that has embossed roses (except the 1060) and don't say anything but "Kenmore", so you have to find the plate to see which one it is. They are 3/4 size. They look like the F& R Cub in the picture but the top is usually green. 1030s and 1040s are the most commonly found. My folks bought me a Kenmore in the same time range for my HS graduation gift (I still have it). I wish is was one of these little ones.
    Kim
    So many hobbies ... So little time
    private pilot, quilter, vintage sewing machine addict, silversmith, lapidary

  19. #19
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Just a fun challenge, what stitch do you think is from what machine, one is from the rescued Frister the other from my very expensive Elna 7200, what stitch do you think is from what machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    515
    you and your machine are certainly 'charmed'! congratulations . . . ;0)

  21. #21
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
    Just a fun challenge, what stitch do you think is from what machine, one is from the rescued Frister the other from my very expensive Elna 7200, what stitch do you think is from what machine?
    For your information the one on the left is the cheapy (?) Frister Rossman and the stitching on the right is from my 900 Elna 7200. now you know why I prefer the older machines.

    As promised I am uploaded some pics the 1st is with it as norm, and the 2nd is with the little inbuilt extensions, aren't they just the cutest
    Attached Images Attached Images


  22. #22
    Super Member amyjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    2,398
    Blog Entries
    18
    I guessed right which was which and I didn't cheat either. The old machines are really good to sew with. I am a Singer lady tho, I have been looking for a Pfaff. Why I don't know. Just seems that one is calling for me. I think if I bring any more in I better get rid of some. I have a lot of singers out in the bus that DH got on a sale and I have gotten rid of some of them. I need to get a room set up so I have time to play with them.

  23. #23
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Help, pretty please. On this machine it says to un-tighten and tighten Clutch knob to disengage needle when winding the bobbin, but I can't figure out which way you are supposed to un-tighten it, DUH?

    I know it will be stiff seeing it's sat about for so long but an inclination as to which way you are supposed to do it, may help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Sorted, you turn it and it was looser than I expected!

  25. #25
    Super Member QultingaddictUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Wales UK
    Posts
    2,035
    Sorted, you turn it and it was looser than I expected! The diagram wasn't very clear but experience with various sewing machines over the years...................LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.