Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Your Opinion Please - Adler Industrial Treadle >

Your Opinion Please - Adler Industrial Treadle

Your Opinion Please - Adler Industrial Treadle

Old 04-05-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Default Your Opinion Please - Adler Industrial Treadle

Hello everyone. I am thinking of going to have a look at this machine. I need something that will cope with thick batting/quilts and also denim. I know it's not glamorous, but just want a good straight stitch and a bit of 'grunt'. Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wanga...ine/1073577702
Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 AM

My opinion? Well, I'd like to go for it, but the petrol for the trip would be a bit cost prohibitive ... LOL

Seriously, that machine would be a good quilting machine. Bigger arch than most and that is important to me. Plus the industrial strength and stitching power would be good too.

Joe
Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM

Try to find out what it's intended purpose was. I see what looks like 3 top tensions. I don't know enough about industrials to know why they're there though. For thick threads maybe? If it's intended for leather it probably won't even notice anything you plan to throw at it. Do you plan to do free motion quilting with it? The reason I ask is it's a treadle. You're probably different but I'm pretty sure I don't have the coordination to keep a treadle going and do decorative type stitching at the same time.

You mentioned glamour. Glamour is where you find it and I think the heavy old industrials are glamorous in their own way. The fact that that one managed to remain a treadle just makes it better to me even if I couldn't FMQ on it. I know I would love to have one.
Rodney
Old 04-06-2015, 04:37 AM

My brother has this same machine and ''Gertie'' is a work horse. He builds custom furniture and he does all the ulpholstering. Most of it he quilts first and it amazes me how he does it. I can straight stitch on my Singer treadle but no way could I do free motion like he does while treadling.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Thanks everyone. I am working for the next three days, so if its still available may take a look on Friday (Wangara is a fair drive from my place). If not I'll grab the next one/similar that comes along. I really value the experience of the members of this board, especially the 'vintage enthusiasts'.