Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 35 of 278 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion

Blog Entries

Wk 4 - B2, B3, B10

B2 - 1/2 square triangles arranged to form a pinwheel, appliqued circle (cardstock paper basted like EPP) to another pinwheel.

B3 - 4 patch appliqued circle (cardstock paper basted like EPP) to 4 patch.

B10 - My first OMG!!! block.
    Center paper pieced which somehow finished small. Ugh!!
    Sides trimmed to allow 1/4" piecing. Cream strips added to sides.
    Cream strips with brown corner squares were added to top and bottom (I had to adjust these to make them smaller since the middle came up small). Ugh!
    Pink strips were generously cut to make up the difference and pieced.
    Block was trimmed to 5" and voila! Piece of cake.
    Did I say OMG!!!

B10 required a lot of patience on my part and constant reminders that anything can be fixed with frog stitching and wider borders. Refer to the original DJ for many examples. He He.

Tips/tricks:
    I used Carol Doak's foundation paper (thanks 50 Stars group) for the first time. Love it compared to regular copy paper that I had been using. It tears so easily for removal but stays put for all the frog stitching.

Shorter stitch length for foundation piecing (thanks 50 Stars group) = easier paper removal.

Smaller seam allowance on small pieces. It clearly makes sense but I can be really rigid with my rules (guidelines) sometimes.

Happy Quilting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fraew; 02-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Love your fabrics, Fraew!
    Kris

Blog Entries
    okay and here's week 4 - now I'm caught up.

I have GOT to learn paper piecing! While I can normally teach myself most things, learning paper piecing by book continues to escape me. I keep waiting for our LQS to offer a class in it.

Name:  dj_jss_week4.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  69.6 KB
    jillaine
    Bust Your Stash! (ongoing and open)

Here's my current update

I've been working ahead. I'm in school full time so I can't always get the 3 blocks done each week, so this way I can keep up

My rows A-C
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
    I have GOT to learn paper piecing! While I can normally teach myself most things, learning paper piecing by book continues to escape me. I keep waiting for our LQS to offer a class in it.
    Don't wait, try searching for a tute on YouTube. There are some great videos out there. PM me if you need help.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    Here's my current update
    My rows A-C
    Love the colors. Oh I want to do another one and another one and how bout one more!

@thomp116: Thank you!
    Fraew

Company has left, so I wlll get my squares posted for this week. I have decided to do some hand quilting on each square, rather than waiting to the end. I am not a hand quilter, so don't look too close. But, this quilt is mine, so I can make mistakes.

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 001.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 002.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  1.11 MB

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 003.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1,002.1 KB

I do have one question about sashing, if anyone can help. What is the width of the sashing? I have looked though the book and can't find it anywhere. Sure will thank anyone who can help with this question.

Sure am enjoying all the hints and suggestions that are coming on this thread, and especially all the blocks. I am so glad that I got onto this thread. It has been a great help to me.
    A home is built of peace and love,
    and not of wood and stone,
    a place where happiness lives
    and memories are sewn.

when i asked this question a while ago, i was informed that when completing 4.5" blocks we would use sashing's of 1/2inch wide FINISHED, (1 inch cutting width.) hope this helps!
    love jacquie xxx
    btw i LOVE your blocks and hand quilting!! really lovely!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
    Company has left, so I wlll get my squares posted for this week. I have decided to do some hand quilting on each square, rather than waiting to the end. I am not a hand quilter, so don't look too close. But, this quilt is mine, so I can make mistakes.

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 001.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 002.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  1.11 MB

Name:  2012-Feb 5-week 4 Dear Jane 003.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1,002.1 KB

I do have one question about sashing, if anyone can help. What is the width of the sashing? I have looked though the book and can't find it anywhere. Sure will thank anyone who can help with this question.

Sure am enjoying all the hints and suggestions that are coming on this thread, and especially all the blocks. I am so glad that I got onto this thread. It has been a great help to me.
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

Blog Entries
    OMG, I can't believe what perfect blocks you all have. I will definately be coming back for help on curves.

GREAT JOB!!!
    I finally got my printer working so now I can ge going.
    Bettia
    God is so big He can cover the whole world with his Love, and so small He can curl up inside your heart.

Hex nut, Thank you for sharing the EPP , especially the view of the backs. I plan to try this soon. Do you use regular paper or do you use a thicker paper like cardstock?
    You blocks look fantastic!
    Linda
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Page 35 of 278 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 85 135 ... LastLast