I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one who has started this project late! :thumbup:
I used Steam a Seam 2 to secure the large hearts to the black background not realizing how much it would gum up my needle, so I can't do the embroidery in those hearts. That's OK with me, because the fabric is busy enough and no one will miss them. I also chose not to do the gold embroidery around the outside edge of those hearts. It really doesn't need it with the blanket stitch.
So what I did first is attach the purple to the green with a blanket stitch, then SAS the green/purple to the black fabric. I used SAS to attach the outer hearts, then did the gold embroidery by hand. After that, I put a piece of batting and muslin behind it and stitched around the green leaves, yellow center and outer hearts. I really like it!