Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt=Along Wk 32 New Jersey & Norway Pine Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt=Along Wk 32 New Jersey & Norway Pine Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club Quilt=Along Wk 32 New Jersey & Norway Pine Discussion Page

Old 08-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Yes we are all certifiable!!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:38 AM

Thank you I feel so much better now..
My retreat is the 13th to 15th September.. DD is driving home so we can go together in my car. But really she just wants me to drive as it is a bit of a nightmare to get there.
24 miles south on the highway, takes about 25 minutes, then take a right hand turn and drive 13 miles which takes about an hour. It is up a mountain with hair pin turns and just enough room for two cars to pass. Will get DD to take photos while I am driving..
Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

mirabelle-you really are going on a "retreat". Sounds like it's "out in the boonies".
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 AM

That makes 3 retreats that the PC riders are doin' that weekend.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I hope to "retreat" into my sewing room after a busy August!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I hope to "retreat" into my sewing room after a busy August!
Nice play on words!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
mirabelle-you really are going on a "retreat". Sounds like it's "out in the boonies".
Yes it may sound like the boonies but it is a beautiful village in a rainforest, its called Paluma and about 50 people live there, there is a wonderful restaurant catering for weddings. We stay at the Conservation Centre which caters for week long school camps and we rent out the Community Hall. There is a lot of traffic up and down the mountain on a weekend as there are great swimming holes and picnic areas.
I can't wait and DD coming with me is making it all the more special.
Gotta run, having guests for lunch and need to make the salads
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Well, I have straightened out my "Quilt Cave" and cut out the blocks for this week. It looks so large to work in, where I can see all the stash around me and find what I am looking for (?) maybe. (There is a floor in that quilt room...haven't see that in a long while!)

Seems like everyone is really going to enjoy their respective "retreats"; be it in beautiful country like Mirabelle with her daughter and Oksewglad in her quilt room...and me in my "quilt cave". Found most of the UFOs, and starting out on a few more...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:07 PM

I need some advice and hope it's okay to ask it on this thread. My friend has a friend with a 4 year old little boy who has many health problems that resulted in him losing his sight and most of his hearing. I read somewhere about "sensory quilts" or something like that. I'd like to make one for him. I don't know the real name of them to even Google for info so I'm asking yinz for help. My plan: it would only be about 18" x 20" and made out of large squares of different textured fabrics (fleece, corduroy, flannel, chenile, suede, etc). The ones I saw also had a zipper and buttons sewn on. I don't think I should add those since he's only 4. What do you think? Also, some had ribbons hanging off the sides; is this a good/bad idea for a 4 y/o? Can you think of anything else I might add? I'm lost here and you ladies are always so kind and have great suggestions. Help, please!!
Peace-Jan
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM

My DGD has "sensory issues." At 2 she had a round pillow w/a face & ribbons looped all around. They were radiating like rays. I was supposed ta be a sun. She could not sleep without "Day." Those loops were called "Taggies." I think that they sell blankets & other things w/Taggies. She doesn't like things that are silky but does like velvety things. She doesn't like ta be touched unless she instigates it. She doesn't deal w/change very well either. She is 6 & they have learned how ta deal w/most o' her "issues." (I don't like that word but don't know any other way ta say it.) She likes the fleece blanket I made her. When she gets overwhelmed she will wrap up in it & it calms her down. I think a sensory quilt would be awesome. It would help him ta be able ta feel all kinds of textures. I recommend makin' the backing out o' whatever texture he likes the best. Taggies all around would be neat. Don't forgit textures that are opposite o' each other, like satin & denim.