Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Qbird
2 Questions----- I noticed in the book the first 4 designs are on the 6 1/2 in. foundation block, are we going to use them in order? thus we would need 4- 6 1/2 inch foundation blocks, to get started ?? should we just make the 4 and 9 patch, just to have them ready for when we need them?== second question, I can't find the finished size of the quilt, either using sashing alone or the star blocks. anyone figure it out or did I just miss that somewhere.
Hi QBird - I have my blocks all planned out so I am making my foundation blocks to use - I will be posting my picture of 4 6.5 in blocks, one four(sixteen) patch and 3 9-patches later tonight or tomorrow. I'm really enjoying her piecing instructions - everything seems to be very precise.

As for the finished size of the quilt - I am making mine to be a wall hanging, so it will be five 6 in blocks by five 6 in blocks with 1 inch sashing - that would make it 36 inches square unless I decide to put a border on it. It probably needs a 4 inch border all the way around, so that would be 42 inches square. I think that if you use the star foundations your blocks work out to 12 inches finished, although I haven't really looked into that since I want a wall hanging, not a bed quilt.

Someone else had asked about the templates - I think we're using a double thickness of paper so that the templates are stiffer - at least that's my impression - I don't know why else she would give those instructions. Maybe Jupiter knows since she has been in touch with Penny Haren.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM

thanks lara for the quick reply, I want to make a queen size quilt, if it proves to be not too hard once I get started, so just bought some practice fabric, and will finish one block tonight just to see if I can do this, and then I guess just make 1- 6 1/2, 1 four patch and 1 =9 patch, just to follow the group? I would do the star blocks so it will be faster to make than a queen with just 6 inch ones.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM

OK - here are my foundation blocks for this week - I really like her instructions for piecing these blocks. They are really clear and the blocks turn out precise - and some of these are really small pieces! It was fun! I also like my fabrics. I'm glad I went with the batiks, even though my blocks will looks simpler than most.

So - on the left are my four 6.5 inch foundation blocks for the first four blocks. The center top is my four (sixteen) patch for the next block and under that is the nine-patch within a nine-patch for the sixth block. The block on the left isn't completely pieced. The star points need to be appliqued into that center block before the larger nine-patch is pieced - and I have no intention of appliqueing anything until February! ;-)

Week One - January 2, 2011
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152311[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152306.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Nice choice of colors, I made the first block, and it works pretty good, not too crazy about having to soak the blocks, the first one the paper came out pretty easy just easing it out, so guess I am in, will get some fabric tomorrow, and that is the plan? 4 , of the 6 1/2? 2 -4 patch and 1 -9 patch? or is that just what you are doing?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Juniper, read your plan, making one of each style of foundation, and then looks like we will be jumping around to make the applique ones? and then what make the foundation ones again on our own when needed?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM

HI All,

I am glad to see you posting photos and discussions. ON the schedule, I just intended that we would do one each of the foundations, sort of as a warm up.... getting the group going. I am NOT making foundations for all the blocks this month. I will make whatever style that is called for at the time I need it.

I am making my blocks 12.5" instead of the 6.5". I hope it is easy to enlarge those templates. I tried it at enlarge 200%, but that didn't come out to the correct size. That being said, I am not a quitter! I will figure out the sizing as I go along. I will share the numbers I use, if anyone want to pencil them into your book for future referrence.

The questions about ironing the printer paper template to the freezer paper: I have tested that out. It works well to iron them together. It gives the template a lot more sturdy body to fold and glue fabric around. It wouldn't be a good idea to just use a single layer. I think it would get bent over along with the fabric as it is turned over the edge. Then your edges wouldn't be precise.

I have a photo of my first 3 foundation blocks. I made them the 12.5" size.... also a 6.5" size of the 9 patch just for comparison sake.

hugs, Jupiter

1: 12.5" Foundation Block = cut 12.5" square
2: Four Patch Foundation Block = cut 14" squares
3: Nine Patch Foundation Block = cut 4.5" squares

cut 12.5" square ********** cut 14" squares ********** cut 4.5" squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]152508[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152503.jpe  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi Lara,

I love your batiks! Your quilt will be soft and snuggly, I'll bet. I am making a batik quilt now using a circle pattern. Its turning out great. I posted it at http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87357-1.htm#2175454
in the pictures group. I hope this link is right.

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by Obsessed
OK - here are my foundation blocks for this week - I really like her instructions for piecing these blocks. They are really clear and the blocks turn out precise - and some of these are really small pieces! It was fun! I also like my fabrics. I'm glad I went with the batiks, even though my blocks will looks simpler than most.

So - on the left are my four 6.5 inch foundation blocks for the first four blocks. The center top is my four (sixteen) patch for the next block and under that is the nine-patch within a nine-patch for the sixth block. The block on the left isn't completely pieced. The star points need to be appliqued into that center block before the larger nine-patch is pieced - and I have no intention of appliqueing anything until February! ;-)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM

I just happened upon your batik quilt, Jupiter! I think it is really pretty - love those batik fabrics!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks, I am loving them too!

hugs, Jupiter

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I just happened upon your batik quilt, Jupiter! I think it is really pretty - love those batik fabrics!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Here are my fabrics, let me know what you think.
Thanks Mavis
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152802.jpe