Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/2012-2013-dear-jane-stickle-2d-cyber-party-pictures-discussion-t175669.html)

GV09 01-30-2014 09:25 AM

Very great blocks, Pink Lady!
I like your fabrics, they are so beautiful!
A hug!

JudyTheSewer 01-30-2014 09:52 AM

Very nice blocks Pink Lady. I do like your A-1 block being wonky like the one Jane made. Great job!

dakotamaid 01-30-2014 01:34 PM

First Dear Jane block

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my first block. I lost the other 2 pics. LOL! I will post later.

dakotamaid 01-30-2014 01:39 PM

I made lots of those little diamonds to applique and decided on the method of layering wax paper and cutting out the shape. Then placing the shape on the fabric and folding over edges and using tiny dots of glue to hold in place while I appliqued with silk thread. I tried starching the edges over the template but that is too messy for the RV and hotel room.

ann clare 01-30-2014 02:31 PM

Pink Lady 3 beautiful blocks. You are on your way.
Dakotamaid love your block.

GV09 01-30-2014 06:19 PM

Dakotamaid ... you do a very great job! I like the colors!

Cre8tvlwyr 01-31-2014 02:16 PM

BEAUTIFUL work Pink lady :) love the A-1 and your fussy cut of A5 ....yes A2 is awesome too!

so... gotta mention if you ever lived in the L.A. area you may have heard of "pinklady" - there is a tunnel going to Malibu through a rocky pass and many many many years ago, someone climbed way up on the huge flat rock over the tunnel and painted a "fresco" - a 20 or so foot tall pink [naked] lady... not a da Vinci but the form was pretty decent [should say lifelike]. They really should have left it alone because they painted over it sort of. For the last 40+ years its been a blob but if you know where the original was you can still make out the outline through it :)

bottom line - whenever I see your screen name it brings a smile to much younger days!
Gus

CindyA 01-31-2014 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 6544642)
I made lots of those little diamonds to applique and decided on the method of layering wax paper and cutting out the shape. Then placing the shape on the fabric and folding over edges and using tiny dots of glue to hold in place while I appliqued with silk thread. I tried starching the edges over the template but that is too messy for the RV and hotel room.

Dakotamaid, I recently tried a new way and it's probably my favorite now. Cut the shape from freezer paper. Iron it on the wrong side of the fabric. Use a fabric glue pen to glue the edges onto the freezer paper. Use the Roxanne fabric glue (she now sells it in a tube that looks kind of like an eye drop bottle) to put a few tiny drops of glue in the turned over seam allowance of the applique piece and position onto the block/background piece. Applique the piece, I have been using silk thread for a long time but recently found another thread that I like: WonderFil Specialty Threads, Invisa Fil. I think the supplies needed would be small and easy enough to work with for the RV and hotel rooms as well as give you a good result. Let me know if this makes sense or if pictures would help. Good luck, I think this is a great project to work on while you are traveling!! And yes, when you get the other pictures, please post.

CindyA 01-31-2014 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr (Post 6546884)
BEAUTIFUL work Pink lady :) love the A-1 and your fussy cut of A5 ....yes A2 is awesome too!

so... gotta mention if you ever lived in the L.A. area you may have heard of "pinklady" - there is a tunnel going to Malibu through a rocky pass and many many many years ago, someone climbed way up on the huge flat rock over the tunnel and painted a "fresco" - a 20 or so foot tall pink [naked] lady... not a da Vinci but the form was pretty decent [should say lifelike]. They really should have left it alone because they painted over it sort of. For the last 40+ years its been a blob but if you know where the original was you can still make out the outline through it :)

bottom line - whenever I see your screen name it brings a smile to much younger days!
Gus

Monica, I did live in LA for a while and am sorry to say I never knew of the pinklady. :( Or the tunnel to Malibu, for that matter. I did have fun when my Mom came to visit us and we went into a restaurant in Malibu. She had a kick looking at the pictures they had hanging of so many movie stars (many of whom I did not recognize)! Don't miss the highways out there (and I've got enough of my own here, now!) but I do remember how much I always enjoyed driving through Palos Verdes - so pretty.

Pink Lady and Dakotamaid, thanks for sharing pics - the blocks look great!

Cre8tvlwyr 02-01-2014 05:27 PM

The restaurant was probably the Malibu Inn - which unfortunately has been closed for a few months now. The "tunnel" I speak of is very short and is on Malibu Canyon Rd., one of the main two roadways between the 101 and Malibu.

I realize it is the first of Feb..... :( have to start the new thread here.... not quite ready yet ladies!!
Gus