Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/50-fab-paper-pieced-stars-t171784.html)

PokerDiva 11-05-2012 01:45 PM

I don't know what happened but I wasn't getting my notifications for a while. All the new Vermonts are BEAUTIFUL of course. Welcome to the newbies just joining us. The only thing hard about these blocks is choosing the fabric. Once you do a few it will be OK. Some have lots and lots of pieces too but just work at your own pace and all shall be fine.

meanmom 11-05-2012 03:05 PM

Welcome Anael. I look forward to seeing your stars. I used the same background for all of my stars and I am pretty sure I bought 7 yards of fabric. I have all of mine finished and have maybe a yard left over that I plan to use for my binding. I emailed Carol Doak before we started to ask how much to buy and she didn't know how much. I used 49 of the blocks in my quilt and am making 4 of Vermont to make a wall hanging. The lines around the edges of the Vermont make a noce design.
I love all of the Vermonts. I am still amazed at how different they all look made with different fabrics.
Pat

whitepine 11-05-2012 04:00 PM

Meanmom, I think 7 yards is right. I wanted to say that but it seemed like so much. But I remember at the time, it seemed like a lot. I think I'm going to be short but I'll have to get creative because the store is out of it. Not surprising since that was almost a year ago. I'm not even sure I wrote down what it was.

meanmom 11-06-2012 05:16 AM

Whitepine. I just went to the LQS looking for more of my background because I wanted some to use on my back. I am enlarging my home state block, Ohio 300% and putting it in the middle of my back. I didn't think I had enough left for this. The shop where I bought it is closing in 2 weeks, temporarily. The are looking for a place to move to. Haven't found the right location yet. Miraculously they still had some. My LQS keeps track of my purchases and can usually look up what I bought and tell me the name. Then I can search online in an emergency.

whitepine 11-07-2012 08:26 AM

Once, when I was on a shop hop expedition, I met a woman carrying a 3-ring binder full of swatches. Each page had about a dozen pieces of fabric, each with all it's info. If she was doing a quilt, those swatches would all be on one page. Needless to say, I was pretty impressed with her organization.

Anael 11-07-2012 08:32 AM

Wow I wish I was that organized :D

PokerDiva 11-07-2012 08:56 AM

SIGH!! That would never be me.

meanmom 11-07-2012 03:43 PM

I would never be that organized. I figure I am doing good if I can find the fabric for my current project in the mess that my sewing room has become. Usually it is somewhere on the floor. Before I became addicted to batiks I used to try to save the selvages until I finished a project. I usually change up a quilt in the middle of a project, then I don't have enough fabric. I didn't do very well at that.I have been known to buy a fabric that I already have because I don't remember I have it.

wvhill22 11-08-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Faye (Post 5590370)
Today I finished my State Star Quilt. I've had my blocks finished for a while but couldn't decide how to put them all together. I used the Quilt As You Go Block Method & am very happy with the results. I SID in most of the blocks & around the sashing. It is a very heavy quilt so I know it will keep us warm this winter. Here are pictures of the front & back of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370293[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]370298[/ATTACH]

Patricia..do you or anyone else know how much backing it would take to do the quilt as you go method. Wouldn't it take more than normal?

Patricia Faye 11-08-2012 03:34 PM

Sorry Patrice, I didn't keep track, but I think it took about the same as a normal quilt when doing the QAYG block method. I used the same color sashing for the front, back & sides.

I guess you could figure it out by (1) multiplying the # of blocks by the block size, (2) multiplying the # of sashings by their sizes (front, back, sides & between the blocks) and (3) adding these amounts together to get the total # of inches, then convert to yardage.