Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

linynp 09-03-2012 07:27 AM

Oh wow I think I might give this a whirl!

Anael 09-03-2012 07:38 AM

Kristen, your block is gorgeous! It sure inspires but I guess time is the issue, not the inspiration :D

Mariposa 09-03-2012 08:07 AM

Kristen, this is a great idea! Now I need to go peek through my stash to see what I'd like to use! :)
Love your block too!

wendiq 09-03-2012 08:36 AM

Would you be giving us a different NYB block each time? In other words, will you provide us the patterns each month?

I've made two of these type of quilts with great results......didn't do fancy, but learned that almost any combination using contrasting colors is dynamite! I have used batiks and blenders mostly.....

SulaBug 09-03-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 (Post 5487627)
Hopefully this will inspire you...

Oh BOY, I am inspired by your Batik fabric block!! :D One question, when we make four 8" blocks of each of the pattern's, are they suppose to be identical or in different colors? I just wanted to make sure as I haven't tried this pattern before. I plan to monkey around with it a little bit today!!
:D :D :D :D

Anael 09-03-2012 12:45 PM

I was wondering the same SulaBug! I only made the NYB block once for my Sylvia so I'm very new to this. When I look at the quilt in one of the links all blocks are different so it might not matter what you do.
Isn't it going to be a huge quilt with 4 blocks of each of the patterns?

SulaBug 09-03-2012 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OKAY!! :D I couldn't stand it any longer, so I got out some black & white fabric & made the beginner block, just for fun. It went together so quickly & I didn't have any problems at all. My DH really likes it & wants me to make more. So, I guess you would say that I am definately in!!

Patticake 09-03-2012 02:32 PM

I'm in. At least I'll do my best! :)

kristen0112 09-03-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SulaBug (Post 5488858)
OKAY!! :D I couldn't stand it any longer, so I got out some black & white fabric & made the beginner block, just for fun. It went together so quickly & I didn't have any problems at all. My DH really likes it & wants me to make more. So, I guess you would say that I am definately in!!

Your block looks great! They are so fun. As for the blocks and making them identical that is up to each person. Personally I most likely make them all different. I am so glad you're in!

kristen0112 09-03-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Anael (Post 5488730)
I was wondering the same SulaBug! I only made the NYB block once for my Sylvia so I'm very new to this. When I look at the quilt in one of the links all blocks are different so it might not matter what you do.
Isn't it going to be a huge quilt with 4 blocks of each of the patterns?

It seems like a lot but the blocks finished size is 8 1/2 inches the end will be 40 blocks, if we make 2 more blocks the quilt could be 6 across and 7 down. And of course because it's a quilt along you can always make more or less depending on how you want the finished size and layout to look like.