Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Blocks of the Month and Week (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/)
-   -   New York Beauty Quilt Along Begins Oct 1st (https://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-month-week-f9/new-york-beauty-quilt-along-begins-oct-1st-t199410.html)

kristen0112 10-10-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5576085)
They do look GREAT. I wish I was in the mood to sew!!

You'll get there :-) Hopefully all these beautiful blocks will inspire you.

amh 10-10-2012 12:37 PM

Kristen:

Thanks for the suggestion on how to cut the fabric for pieces. I'll try it with the next block.

I'm not so sure that your Zero blocks are not useable. Perhaps you want to make a flange border for those blocks. It could be quite striking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapTlyxKuY8

Thanks again for the answers to my questions. Can't wait to get back to working on block #1 again.

amh

kristen0112 10-10-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by amh (Post 5576209)
Kristen:

Thanks for the suggestion on how to cut the fabric for pieces. I'll try it with the next block.

I'm not so sure that your Zero blocks are not useable. Perhaps you want to make a flange border for those blocks. It could be quite striking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DapTlyxKuY8

Thanks again for the answers to my questions. Can't wait to get back to working on block #1 again.

amh

That is a great idea. How was your Thanksgiving?

amh 10-10-2012 04:34 PM

I had a great thanksgiving. I entertained friends on Saturday, and on Sunday entertained family. Once all my visitors went home on Monday all the sheets went into the laundry and I sewed. It was a great weekend. Had to go back to work to rest!!!

I'm looking forward to doing a little bit of sewing this evening as well. These blocks are a bit of a challenge, but that is always fun.

amh

kristen0112 10-10-2012 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by amh (Post 5576700)
I had a great thanksgiving. I entertained friends on Saturday, and on Sunday entertained family. Once all my visitors went home on Monday all the sheets went into the laundry and I sewed. It was a great weekend. Had to go back to work to rest!!!

I'm looking forward to doing a little bit of sewing this evening as well. These blocks are a bit of a challenge, but that is always fun.

amh

I had 15 people (friends and family) for dinner Sunday. It was quite the feast! My pumpkin cheesecake with marshmallow topping was really good. We pretty much finished off a 21.5 lb turkey I boiled the carcass and pulled the meat off and we had soup Monday.

QM 10-10-2012 07:33 PM

Good work!!

I downloaded and resized the patterns. I plan to use 8 of them for a purse, as mine is about work out. It'll probably be next month before I have time to get started.

GrandmaJeanne 10-10-2012 07:43 PM

I must say all these blocks look wonderful. But as for myself am having trouble getting it together. The pp is going fine, it's sewing the curves. I read the instructions, but it's just not clicking with me just yet. But seeing the wonderful job everyone else is doing, it will give incentive to keep trying. Love this block so will keep trying. Is there any little tips of putting this together to make it easier that I am missing?

iwillquilt 10-11-2012 07:39 AM

LOL!! I was determined to get my blocks started yesterday. I got in a hurry. I was done with the first one and happy. Got up this morning and thought it looked wrong. I have put my A pieces together the wrong way and ended up with a very nice wedge block. Oh well, guess I will be ripping this morning. And hopefully won't repeat it.

rainagade 10-11-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 (Post 5575869)
Everyone's blocks are looking fanstatic! I finished Block 1 this morning. I had 4 of Block 0 practically done when I realized I had used GoogleChrome as my browser when printing out the blocks and it printed them smaller so the finished size would not have matched the blocks I had already sewn, URGH all that fabric wasted.

Tip: For curved pieces. I sew along the seam line. Then I rip the paper out from the seam line area leaving the majority of the paper on the block. I snip along the curved pieces to allow for curving the seam. I also smash the paper down if it's bugging me. I also use LOTS of pins. I may have pictures of this at home I will try and post them tonight.

Here are my Block 1's

oh wow, I am so glad I signed up for this. BUT....life won't let me sit down at the machine. I still have time so I will this month make time.

I wanted to comment on these blocks. Beautiful and scrappy. Scrappy, is so cool. This is how scrappy I want to do mine. So this means less fretting or what goes in which block.

the pictures and tips are great. Thank you

meanmom 10-11-2012 01:19 PM

Oh wow such beautiful blocks. I am dying to start but need to finish a baby quilt and get caught up on my 50 paper pieced stars. Hopefully next week.I really need to quit my job it is interfering with my fun!