Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 88 of 110 FirstFirst ... 38 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast

Thread: "Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Senior Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanitaBean View Post
    Thank you frustratequilter40
    You are welcome
    ​Christine

QNS ... can I make a recipe request?? Last night my husband asked me why I never make cabbage as a side dish. Honestly, the only time my teacher (Mom ) made cabbage was either corned beef and cabbage, or cabbage rolls. I hate corned beef so that's simply not happening, and when I mentioned cabbage rolls my husband said "no ... cabbage, not cabbage surrounding something else". As a kid his mother boiled cabbage and put it on a plate and called it done. B.O.R.I.N.G!!

Soooooo .... any good 'side dish' cabbage recipe's??
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

My Dh loves my Grandmother's simple recipe for cooked cabbage..., cut about half of head of cabbage into slices, (you can chop it up if you wish) add a teaspoon of mustard to prevent 'gas' and cover with water and put it on top of the stove to cook for about 20 minutes. (I put the electric stove burner at 12 o'clock) Test with a fork to see if its tender, continue on until it is tender to the touch of a fork...then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white sugar, and pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of milk over the cabbage and sugar and (I reduce the heat a bit so the milk will not burn, at 2 or 3 o'clock on my electric stove) bring it up to warm to hot temperature...not too soupy... and serve. Liquids are down to a low level, you can add a dash of salt and a tablespoon of butter for more flavor. It will reheat lovely... if you have leftovers.

Blog Entries
    Good cabbage side dish, shred up one head cabbage, in large saute pan melt 3tbsp.butter 1tbsp. olive oil, add cabbage and one shredded onion, and cook until cabbage has a little brown to it, then add 1/4 cup broth(I usually use the broth that goes with the meat we are having with meal) add sambul (Korean hot sauce)to taste, and some red pepper flakes, simmer until cabbage is done. Like to serve this over cous cous.
    Last edited by kwiltkrazy; 09-24-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks for posting another recipe, QNS, it looks like another one that I will try.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    LIFE IS ABOUT USING THE WHOLE BOX OF CRAYONS.

I love to try new ideas but with just two of us, it usually lasts tooooo long. And we really do not need extra calories. No family (here that visits us and that is a blessing I don't question)...kids live too far away. Love to cook, but no one but us, so everything gets scaled back or not attempted. So enjoy. And thanks for sharing, kwiltcrazy, your recipe for cabbage side dish. I can almost taste it.

Blog Entries
    your welcome. My husband and I love cabbage, we eat it at least three times a week.

QuiltingNinaSue, THANK YOU!!! I know what I'm making this weekend! Can't wait. I love soups and haven't been feeling well this week. I know it will taste good.

I always write on the recipe who gave it to me and when. So I'll think of you and QB every time I make it.

Blog Entries
    NinaSue- any recipes for left over white rice? Had stir fry tonight, lots of left over rice.

I have a recipe that uses cooked rice.
    1 lb o' hamburger meat, browned w/some garlic & chopped onions
    Add 1/4 cup o' cooked rice
    drained sm can o' corn
    can o' Rotell
    sm can o' tomato sauce
    1/2 o' tomato sauce can full o' water
    2 tbls spoons o' chilli powder
    1/2 cup o' whatever type o' beans ya like cooked & drained. (...ie...Kidney, Pinto, Black...)
    Simmer for 10 min
    DH eats it w/tortilla chips.
    I like sour cream on it.
    #2DSon likes cheese on it.
    Hmmm It might be good w/ all three. LOL
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 88 of 110 FirstFirst ... 38 78 87 88 89 98 ... LastLast