Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Admin - question about Search >

Admin - question about Search

Admin - question about Search

Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi Admin,

I didn't know where would be the most appropriate place to ask this, so if it needs to be moved somewhere else then please do so.

Would it be possible to get some options added to the Search screen? Right now there's just a box to enter the phrase or words to search on. Could we possibly search for all posts by a specific user? That would really help if we're trying to locate something by someone who said "I posted a tutorial on making monkey quilts". If they didn't post it in the Tutorial forum, then it's anyone's guess as to where it is and just searching on "monkey" could bring up lots of threads. It would be nice to be able to narrow that search down with a User option as well.

Another thing that would be nice would be to have a Forum To Search drop down box on the Search screen where we could select a particular forum to search, or to search "All" forums. That way if someone is looking for a chicken recipe in the Recipes forum, then they don't get a bunch of results for chicken quilts, too. :)

Thanks for all you do! :D
Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM

Great idea Eddie. I hope they are able to do this. Also it would be great if the search items were sequenced most recent first. :-D
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eddie
Hi Admin,

I didn't know where would be the most appropriate place to ask this, so if it needs to be moved somewhere else then please do so.

Would it be possible to get some options added to the Search screen? Right now there's just a box to enter the phrase or words to search on. Could we possibly search for all posts by a specific user? That would really help if we're trying to locate something by someone who said "I posted a tutorial on making monkey quilts". If they didn't post it in the Tutorial forum, then it's anyone's guess as to where it is and just searching on "monkey" could bring up lots of threads. It would be nice to be able to narrow that search down with a User option as well.

Another thing that would be nice would be to have a Forum To Search drop down box on the Search screen where we could select a particular forum to search, or to search "All" forums. That way if someone is looking for a chicken recipe in the Recipes forum, then they don't get a bunch of results for chicken quilts, too. :)

Thanks for all you do! :D
If you know which person who posted something you are looking for again, you can click on their name, it will show their info and give you an area for the number of posts they have posted and number of messages they've written. Click on that number "(List)" and you can pull up all they have posted/ or commented.

Admin may be able to make an easier link, but that has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM

I don't know if this helps you Eddie, but if you click on the user's name above their avatar, there's a link to click on that will pull up all their posts and search from there.

That's the closest I know that may answer your question...if I understood you correctly.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

you can already search for all posts by a specific user. click on their user name to open their profile. you will find links to both lists of topics they've created and messages posted.

just soze ya know. ;-)

(well! i see several others were typing at the same time i was. :lol: )
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

You can search for topics created by any user, by going to the user list at the top of the page, and type in the user's name there in the search box. The next page that comes up has two links, one has all of the topics they have created the second one all of the messages they have replied to.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
you can already search for all posts by a specific user. click on their user name to open their profile. you will find links to both lists of topics they've created and messages posted.

just soze ya know. ;-)

(well! i see several others were typing at the same time i was. :lol: )
I guess what I was trying to say is that it would be nice to search for something that a specific user has posted (like myself). Sometimes I want to go back to a specific post I did and can remember a specific word I used in it, but can't remember the actual thread name, etc.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Eddie, It sounds like you would like to see a list of all topics you (or someone else) has created.
When I click on your user name this is what I see:
User name: Eddie
Private messages: Send PM (click to send a private message)
Registration date: May 10, 09
Number of topics created: 106 (list)
Number of messages posted: 2284 (list)
If I then click on (topics created) 'LIST' this is some of what I see:
Section Topic Messages Views
Main Admin - question about Search 7 64
Pictures Quilt made from Civil War reproduction fabrics 17 179
Pictures Vintage quilt top #6 made into a quilt 59 3617
Pictures Vintage quilt top #5 made into a quilt 76 4630
Pictures First quilt with my new longarm machine 94 4862
Pictures There's a Gammill longarm in the house. :) 112 5255
Pictures Pics of my haul from Marshall Dry Goods trip today 93 4731
Pictures Quilt made from some old vintage blocks 51 3794
Pictures 3 flea market quilts that I bought this morning 39 1354
Sorry if this is not what you want to do but that is what it sounds like you want to do. I learned by accident it would do that and I can definitely see the benefit of having it as an option from the search field.
Regards, Dorothy
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Here's a couple of examples of what I was wanting to search on:

#1. The other day, I was looking at a thread by Klue in which she mentioned a tutorial she did on an optical illusion quilt. So I went and looked through all of the Tutorial forum for it. Didn't find it. So I searched on "illusion" which brought up lots of threads, but not the tute. So I looked through her thread by doing the click on name thing. Come to find out it was actually on her off-site blog thing, but it would be nice to just search on User=Klue and Key_Word="Illusion" to find all posts by her that contain the word "illusion".

#2. I have done several quilts that are vintage tops. I have the word "vintage" in all of them. Someone asked me the other day about them. It would be nice if they could search on me and the word "vintage" to see them all collectively. As it is now, they have to either (a) hunt and peck through my threads, or (b) hunt and peck through all threads that have 'vintage' in them.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:40 PM

I agree. I was just looking for a particular member and they don't have a way to just look up members to get their PM address. This would be nice to add along with what Eddie is needing. Thanks